+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HowTo Return you Bricked Iphone No Questions asked works 100%

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
OK im going to make a main post about this but if any one here has bricked there iphone and wants to get a return from apple this is how
    Banned
    Thanks

Default HowTo Return you Bricked Iphone No Questions asked works 100%
    OK im going to make a main post about this but if any one here has bricked there iphone and wants to get a return from apple this is how you do it.

Remember this should only be done by someone that knows what they are doing or has broken an item in this way before to get a return.

Recently a friend of mine got an iphone for his girlfriend and was going to unlock it. Every thing was going well, the phone was open and the act was done using PACAY (on a ver 1.1.1) then there was two copys of any sim on the PC any sim 1.1 and any sim 1.0 well i told him to mark them and he didnt needless to say he uploaded the wrong any sim and ran any sim 1.0 on a Ver 1.1.1 for all of you that are in the know this doesnt brick the phone but worse it puts it into a mode where it cant be unlocked or downgraded. On top of that it went into the dreaded slow mode where the phone works but everything is really slow then it crashes.

We tryed everything to try to fix the phone and finally he said we are F*&ked. So i has an idea. What if we claimed the phone had burned out? Ive done this many many many times before and always get away with getting a new item out of the company.

So with that being said this is what you do.

Get your self a cheap or old pair of head phones cut the wires and strip em. Twist the white and red wires together and the 2 grounds together (the bare wires).

Then get yourself an old Ipod charger or go buy a cheap knock off online. Cut off the Usb end, then strip the wires. Then take the Red and green wires twist them together. Then take the black and white wires twist them together.

Now you must take the the Ground wires from the head phone jack and hook it to the black and white wire from the ipod charger side, then connect the red and white wires you twisted together before to the red and green wires.

So you should now have

Black/White and ground connected on one side this will be hooked up to Negative.

Red/White and Red/Green connected this will be Positive.

AGAIN THIS NEXT STEP SHOULD ONLY BE PERFORMED BY A TRAINED MORON!

We first started out by hooked the phone up to his car. At first it didnt do much then we decided to rev the motor a little thats when we started to see a little smoke.

Then the phone went gray we keep it hooked up for around 20 minutes.

But we werent happy just yet so we went inside and found an old extendsion cord we cut off the part where you would plug stuff into it and used the other side of the cord we twisted the wires together and made sure we taped it up then we pluged it in. Poof! one smoking Iphone.

After resetting the circuit breaker. We called the following number 1800 792 7753 told them we were charging the iphone and it began to smoke. They said how sorry they were and that they would email an RMA. They did and then we boxed up the phone, sent it back. Waited 5 days and the new iphone was at the door step! No joke. And this isnt the first time i've gotten away with this.

If they cant read out the phone they cant tell you tryed to unlock it. Enjoy!

Oh and this normaly works just with the car batt. but we hooked it up to the wall plug just for fun!
    Last edited by coldasice; 11-07-2007 at 09:31 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

as much as i will remeber this forever... isnt this illegal??? :-/

Banned
    Thanks

OMG...you are my hero...im saving this as a file and will always remember it if i ever brick my phone

Banned
    Thanks

Isn't it illegal for Apple to make terms and conditions that say you can't mod something you spent over $400 on? I don't see this as illegal, I see it as beating the system.

Enjoy!

ColdasIce

When you need a solution and have no where else to turn, remember I am always here. Feel free to ask.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Digital Oxygen's Avatar
    Thanks

While I don't agree with Apple locking the iphone, I'm going to have to play devil's advocate here.

Let's say you buy a 50K dollar car, and you blow up the motor by say, retuning the engine computer to give you a few extra HP. Should the manufacturer be responsible for replacing the motor under warranty?

There are also terms and conditions with the warranty on a new car as well, that say if you do something stupid to break it, the manufacturer is not responsible for fixing it under warranty.

There is a saying in the engine modding community: "You play, you pay". Alas, there're always the people who still expect the manufacturer to fix their booboos under warranty.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Sidetalker's Avatar
    Thanks

lol sweet
    For Help
    Private Message, Email, or AIM
    (My response time might be a little long)

GUIDES:
    Expect more when I find something guide-worthy.
    PM me and let me know if you need one.

Banned
    Thanks

While I don't agree with Apple locking the iphone, I'm going to have to play devil's advocate here.

Q. Let's say you buy a 50K dollar car, and you blow up the motor by say, retuning the engine computer to give you a few extra HP. Should the manufacturer be responsible for replacing the motor under warranty?

A. The answer is YES by law they must replace every thing but the ECU

Q. There are also terms and conditions with the warranty on a new car as well, that say if you do something stupid to break it, the manufacturer is not responsible for fixing it under warranty.

A. yes they are responsible for fixing the motor it self but can ask you to pay for a replacement ECU.

Q. There is a saying in the engine modding community: "You play, you pay". Alas, there're always the people who still expect the manufacturer to fix their booboos under warranty.

A. Under any warranty they must fix everything but the ECU it self which they can charge you for. So we are modding the modem part of the iphone not the phone it self so they could ask for a charge to fix it but cant deny fixing it at all.

again no company under U.S. law can say you modded part A so we wont fix part B and C.

Thanks

I guess you've never heard of the Mos Magnusson Act... have you.

Ask your friend Google about it.

If the damage is a direct result of something the customer did, then no, the manufacturer doesn't have to honor the warranty.

Say, for example you change the OEM radio with an aftermarket radio and the rear differential blows up, then obviously the rear differential malfunction is not related to the radio install and the manufacturer must honor the warranty. But if say, the wiring harness burns out and the dealership can prove it was a direct result of the aftermarket radio install, then the manufacturer doesn't have to honor the replacement of the wiring harness under warranty. See where I'm going with this? In my ECM example, the motor blowing up would be a direct result of changing the OEM tune, making the motor work harder - therefore going kaboom.

I kept this simple so you'd understand it. I don't know what reality you live in, however I hate to break it to you... you Sir are grossly mistaken when it comes to my car warranty example... which incidentally, applies to just about everything else. Lord knows I've been rounds with FORD when it comes to my Powerstroke. But what do I know about warranties... Something tells me your attitude is one of "Hey, it's not my fault I was stupid and fugged xyz item up! It should be the manufacturer who has to pay for my screw-up!" Right?

But as I've stated earlier... Some people don't seem to be man enough to accept responsibility and pay when they play with their toys.
    Last edited by Digital Oxygen; 11-08-2007 at 01:05 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

so when i beat the **** out my truck (years ago, i don't even own it anymore) and killed the trans, dodge should have not replaced it b/c it was my fault right? or when my buddy recently cracked his iphone screen they shouldn't have replaced it b/c it wasn't a defect right?

also the only thing that can void the warranty on your motor is INTERNAL modifaction, if u blew it, and its been "tuned" it wont void your warrenty as the reason it blew wasn't really b/c you "tuned" but rather b/c u abused the motor with your driving habbits.

yes, this might not be the most legal thing in the world, but do u have to be the most self richus (sp??) person in the world huh. u kno this is gonna be the first thing on your mind when your phone breaks.

ppl have been doing this sort of thing since the dawn of time. lets say u bought a radio or target, and it broke a week later or 6months later, so what do u do, you go down to target, and buy a identical radio, come back to target later that day and say its not working and you want your money back. company's write things like this off (they expect and plan for this type of event happening.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alperovich View Post
    So when i beat the **** out my truck (years ago, i don't even own it anymore) and killed the trans, dodge should have not replaced it b/c it was my fault right?
    Dodge Auto Trannies of a few years ago are junky anyways. They're nowhere near as strong as today's dodge trannies.

or when my buddy recently cracked his iphone screen they shouldn't have replaced it b/c it wasn't a defect right?
    And why should they replace the phone if your buddy abused it? Or did this crack just happen on it's own?

s
    also the only thing that can void the warranty on your motor is INTERNAL modifaction, if u blew it, and its been "tuned" it wont void your warrenty as the reason it blew wasn't really b/c you "tuned" but rather b/c u abused the motor with your driving habbits.
    HAHAHA! Good one. The motor didn't blow up because you ran it too lean. It blew up because you abused it... oh wait... Running the motor leaner than it was set from the factory (gotta save that gas), does not equal abuse? WTF does it equal? TLC? I take it you've never seen a lean motor go "pop" because the guy tuning it has no clue how to tune it.

Kid, you're arguing with the wrong person when it comes to Automotive Warranties. Why are the big three cracking down on the owners of their light duty diesel vehicles? It's never happened to me, but there are tons of Ford, Chevy and even Dodge owners who have been denied warranty work on their engines because they have a programmer installed in their trucks. Let me guess, your buddy has a diesel pick-up truck with 900HP and he takes it in for warranty work all the time. After all, it's illegal to deny warranty work, right?

s
    yes, this might not be the most legal thing in the world, but do u have to be the most self richus (sp??) person in the world huh. u kno this is gonna be the first thing on your mind when your phone breaks.
    It's spelled "Righteous" (since you asked). Which part of my very first post in this thread eludes you? The first thing on my mind when my phone breaks will be "Well crap. Time to go buy a new one". If I break it, unlike (apparently) you, I'll take responsibility for my actions. Though, I doubt I'll break it between now and the end of the month when the Nokia E90 Communicator I've got on order with Expansys, arrives. After that, my iPhone will be a back-up phone. Don't really like the damned thing anyways. Or, maybe I'll just use it for target practive. If I do, I'll make sure to post a few pictures for you.

s
    ppl have been doing this sort of thing since the dawn of time. lets say u bought a radio or target, and it broke a week later or 6months later, so what do u do, you go down to target, and buy a identical radio, come back to target later that day and say its not working and you want your money back. company's write things like this off (they expect and plan for this type of event happening.)
    So you're telling me that if you say, drop this radio and you put a big crack into it, the retailer will accept it on your word a week or 6 months later, that it came that way? Are you hitting the hookah?

Thanks

As I said in response to your post of this exact same process in another thread:

It is wrong. You know it. This is the 'It's my g-d given right' attitude that makes us [americans] look bad. I broke my ROKR E6 the other week... It cost me $350 USD to get one when it was still new on the market. But does that mean that Motorola should send me a replacement b/c I was the one who messed w/ the touchscreen digitizer flex? No, and I never expected them to. I counted my losses and moved on, to the iPhone coincidentally. So yeah, you really should be ashamed of what you did/have done. It takes us h@ckers down a knotch...

Further, by posting what you have admittedly done, you are exposing yourself to the whole world- even apple. What if they took an interest in this, and was able to link some 'fried' iPhones w/ your IP address?
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 11-08-2007 at 11:47 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

OK im not looking to start some flaming war here im not saying what i do is right or wrong its what falls under your morals.

But i know the law very well ahumm... (again not looking to start a fight)

But the law does in such state that they dont have to replace the phone (If you are stupid enough to say YOU broke it) but say its less then 14 days old then they MUST replace it (Due to ANY and ALL defect). But again the law also states if am item is made and COULD have started a fire or MIGHT have started a fire the product it self could be pulled off the market altogether, Which is not some thing apple wants or would let happen. They would rather just replace it then have a lawsuit on there hands. You take the replacement you lose your right to sue.

(TRUST ME THIS IS FACT NOT JUST SOME BS)

Again also to add you would never tell them that YOU broke the phone but that the phone burned out it self.

Thanks

The word you used was defect. Not a direct effect of a users mistake. A mistake made by the manufacturer. Simple. And all you crybabies wonder why you pay so much for everything now a days? It's because you cheat the system by returning self destructive items for warranty when you are not entitled. THat is why merchants have to charge an arm and a leg for their items now. Thanks morons.

Reako

Green Apple
    Thanks

BTW I've read from multiple sources that its cost apple about $200 to make each unit. Thats about a $200 makeup. Most of that is due to overhead but still.

I'm not really whining about the cost (maybe I am just a little) but in places like japan and korea the average phone costs like $400 - $850 (yes in dollars) and EVERYONE has one.

Thanks

I don't think Apple should have to pay for you messing around with the phone.

I personally zapped mine with a few thousand volts of electricity (my friend does a electricity show at the Museum of Science, and he let me stick my bricked iPhone in) There was no outside damage but hell that thing was messed up. I didn't get a new one, i just wanted to see what would happen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Wayno's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oranges View Post
    BTW I've read from multiple sources that its cost apple about $200 to make each unit. Thats about a $200 makeup.
    Of course you're ignoring packaging, marketing, shipping and warranty replacements for brainless idiots who think it is their right to get everything free despite lying through their backsides to cover up their stupidity.
    iPhone 3gs, running 4.2 Greenp0is0ned
    iPad 32Gb, running 4.2 Grrenp0is0ned

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
    Of course you're ignoring packaging, marketing, shipping and warranty replacements.
    I did mention overhead.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Wayno's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oranges View Post
    I did mention overhead.
    You did. My comment was more aimed at the stupidity, greed and selfishness of the OP.
    iPhone 3gs, running 4.2 Greenp0is0ned
    iPad 32Gb, running 4.2 Grrenp0is0ned

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

The arguments people make here are great. Never have I laughed so much at a thread before! Just want to say a few things though...

For people who say Apple deserves it because of the fact that they "don't let you" mod your $400 phone. I agree it sucks that they don't let you do this. However, nobody made you buy the phone. you decided to do so in the first place. If you don;t agree with terms and conditions, return the phone. No, you will not pay a restock fee if you tell them it was opened but you do not agree with the terms and conditions found withing the box.

For those arguing how much money Apple makes on the product. Are they supposed to sell the thing at cost? Maybe only a 10% mark-up? Everything sells for more than it costs to produce. Look at software, once the developing is done it costs maybe 5 bucks to produce a disc, box and manual, IF THAT? I don't see anyone putting their Windows discs in a woodchipper and asking for another copy.

To those who bricked the phone with anysim. this is not only a third party program, this is essentially destroying a contract. You SHOULD be on AT&T but you are not. Apple is losing money in this case because they are not making money off of the contract. You better believe there was money transfered between apple and ATT.

For the record....
    I own a 16gb jailbroken/unlocked iphone on the T-Mobile network. I also run Windows XP/Vista and have never owned an Apple product other than a nano and an iPhone. being that I have an unlocked iPhone, I have used all these methods and am totally happy with it. But never would I purposefully make damage I did look like an accident that is the manufacturer's fault. I took the risk in unlocking and modifying the phone against factory specifications. If I break it, MY BAD. And to those who are so closed minded as some who think it is ok to use this method of returning a phone, you are obviously far too ignorant to see that actions like this drive the prices of hardware up in the first place!

Finally, I will give some reasons why Apple wants to block us from modding phones.
    1. Security - There have already been malicious attempts to brick phones by adding fake software to installer.app. Most don;t fall for it, but the AVERAGE consumer might.
    2. Most of this software wouldn't end up going through Apple anyway, so they would have to deal with MORE messed up phones.
    3. Apple would probably have to train (to some extent) their workers with all of these new "home brew" apps to help troubleshoot at their Genius bar.
    4. (probably the most prevalent) Apple just doesn't want to deal with it any more than they have to!

The bottom line here is that it does really suck that Apple has locked their phone to a certain carrier. Here in the states, hopefully laws will be passed that will change this soon. There is a bill in the works (at least in CA), but it will be another few years before this makes it into play, IF it makes it into play. Currently, Apple is doing everything, as far as I know, lawfully. Whether you are I agree with it, quite frankly doesn't matter. If you break the law, you are the one doing wrong. If you feel the law is unjust, the proper thing to do isn't to go and break it and try and f*** the company in every way possible, but to do something about it, legally. Write your congressman, protest, any number of things. But it just doesn't matter that much to most people. So, they resort to this sort of communist view.

Why not fight the BS 1 year warranties that these companies make, rather than find a way how to make something that you did seem like something the company did? I would much rather see a 3+ year warranty on an expensive product than be able to drop-kick the thing and return it because I had a bad night at the bar.

Anyway, just my two-cents, and quite possibley the longest post I have ever written.

Just a little something to add....

Why not fight the ringtones prices? That is just absurd and in NO WAY justifiable!
    Last edited by sziklassy; 02-17-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

DoerrFan (02-17-2008), Wayno (02-18-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't want to cause an argument, but just something i thought up that should be considered. Sometimes apple refuse to give replacements for products which have developed a genuine fault due to apple's design/production of the product, and this is quite obviously wrong, but it does happen. but does anyone question apples morals when they do this? no everyone just assumes that they cannot do anything about it so they forget it. So everyone tells lies in order to benefit, even apple themselves.

I'm not saying whether it is right or wrong, but i know that if this happened to me i would sell the phone as faulty and then buy a secondhand one out of the profits, but this is just because i couldn't be bothered with the hassle and long wait times of getting it replaced. And by the way apple expects a percentage of its products to be faulty and so this is why it can be quite easy to get a replacement. Is it right that they should produce products and then sell them knowing that some of them may be faulty and will be returned, causing the buyer alot of hassle for which they wont get compensation?

James