+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't make calls, just receive

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello iphoners... I bought last september an iPhone 8GB in NYC. I took it with me down to Chile (my country) and started the long and tedious process of activating
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation Can't make calls, just receive
    Hello iphoners...

I bought last september an iPhone 8GB in NYC. I took it with me down to Chile (my country) and started the long and tedious process of activating (not using AT&T) and then when I got sick of using the iphone just like an iPod and I decided to unlock and use it as a telephone. I have spent a couple days and finally I unlocked I place the SIM of Movistar (the worst mobile telephone company in the world) and it was recognized.

The bad thing (I just give it up reading the whole forum) is, I received phone calls, but, I can't make any outgoing calls. When I dial a phone number the telephone says "Call ended" and then "Call Failed" and nothing else happens. Then in the screen you can see the meesage "Call forwarding active" - Dismiss.

I've checked all settings and everything looks just fine. I don't know what to do or how to fix this problem and use the telephone.

If you can give me an advise I'll appreciate

Thanks. Sircam

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have the same problem... and have tried both unlocking ways:

anySIM and unlock.app an they both render the same result

What could be so wrong with my phone?

Hey guys I think I found the solution. It worked for me and it might work for you.

After the phone is unlocked go into the phone settings and turn call forwarding, call waiting, show my caller id, and TTY off and reboot.

If that doesn't work then try turning call waiting Show my caller id, and TTY on and reboot and it should work.

I'm not sure why this would work but it did for me and I hope it also does for you. Good Luck
    Last edited by colcal987; 10-16-2007 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colcal987 For This Useful Post:

djbashful (12-14-2007), rajeshbahr (01-24-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi,
    I thing you must reflash your boardband if you used anySIM.
    You can try this guide
    Good luck!.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the guide, then I need to start all over again?

Sircam

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

sorry to bother... but, I do really need help. still can make my iphone work properly.

Any help?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by colcal987 View Post
    I have the same problem... and have tried both unlocking ways:

anySIM and unlock.app an they both render the same result

What could be so wrong with my phone?

Hey guys I think I found the solution. It worked for me and it might work for you.

After the phone is unlocked go into the phone settings and turn call forwarding, call waiting, show my caller id, and TTY off and reboot.

If that doesn't work then try turning call waiting Show my caller id, and TTY on and reboot and it should work.

I'm not sure why this would work but it did for me and I hope it also does for you. Good Luck
    same problem happened to me .. and it was solved by this .. thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jomanjy For This Useful Post:

djbashful (12-14-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Life Saver
    Interestingly enough, my problem was different from those listed above. My carrier is ATT and I have never performed an unlock (although I am running jailbroken 1.1.2). Everything had been gravy for months until I got home this afternoon. For no apparent reason, incoming calls began to deliver the "call ended" -> "call failed" error before the phone could even ring in. Callers heard only a message saying that I could not be located and were not even forwarded to voicemail. Furthermore, any attempts to make outgoing calls were met with the "call ended, call failed" error. SMS also appeared to be out of commission although I cannot confirm this. I tried both power cycling and rebooting (no restore) several times without success. All other services, including edge, youtube, weather, stocks, mail, ect, continued to work properly. It is important to note that the phone appeared to have cellular signal, however, the signal appeared to be fluctuating between very strong, medium, and very weak.

While searching for a solution I stumbled upon this thread and tried the above instructions regarding toggling the phone settings for "show my caller ID", call waiting, ect, then rebooting. The first few attempts did nothing to solve my problem however I continued to toggle the various items in Settings > Phone, including the option regarding international assist, and I continued to reboot and power cycle the phone like crazy.

Finally, after coming back from a reboot, several SMS messages came through at once. I then tried an outgoing call and....SUCCESS! I have not had a problem since.

I have come to the conclusion that one of two possibilities has occurred...

1. The problem did, in fact, lie in the "Settings > Phone" menu and the above method, or some variation of that method, solved the problem.

OR

2. There was a temporary problem with the ATT network in my area and the problem was resolved by the carrier.

I hope this post helps anyone else who is having this type of problem. I will be sure to post if the issue occurs again.