+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: any tiger questions?

is a discussion within the

Tiger 10.4.X and Older

forums, a part of the

OS X

section;
hello all! My name is dave! Some call me mr.D I know the newest is leapord, but tiger is still used, and a lot of cool tricks are still around
    iPhone? More like MyPhone 97vrsix's Avatar
    Thanks

Default any tiger questions?
    hello all! My name is dave! Some call me mr.D

I know the newest is leapord, but tiger is still used, and a lot of cool tricks are still around for more then one item, from iPhone upgrades, to software tricks!

Later on I will be adding software links for common used tools, and tricks. As well as working iPhone firm ware, and tools to upgrade your phone!

I also have many hardware test cd's, and software! I'm a net work tech as well and offer hardware assistant for mac users!

Please feel free to pm me, or email me [email protected]

iPhone? More like MyPhone Nightkeeper62's Avatar
    Thanks

Why thank you Mr. D.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

I have a question about Tiger......... why the hell is anyone still using Tiger?

I have an old 500 mhz G3 iBook and I have Tiger on it so I know that some of the very oldest Macs have to use it, but it's been so long since a mac was made that couldn't run Leo I just don't see the problem.

It isn't like Vista where you need all these resources, or is filled with bugs and flaws. Leo is stable as a brick wall and quite fast actually as it is very optimized. Doesn't require much more space than Tiger, and most of the features can be disabled.

Also, to take advantage of the newer multimedia programs, you need Leo.

Appreciate your offer for tech, I'll bug you if I ever think of anything.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I just got this imac. Would it run Leo? Any tricks you can lay upon me. ...
    iPhone 3g 8GB; iPhone 3GS 32GB

iPhone? More like MyPhone 97vrsix's Avatar
    Thanks

Its mostly program and machine compatibility. Also a big one is being able to BOOT or USE classic.
    A lot of programers and music people still use some program that will only work hen used with 9.1-9.2...Also 10.2 comes with classic ENVI.

As far as te MAC being able to run lEO, i would try it, cant hurt...If it is sow, you can turn off some of the stuff it have..But i think its under the recomended levels.

Yes you can upgrade your machine...Or find another...I'm guessing youu want to keep your mac you have..Find out exactly what model it is, and i can look it up.

Also leo is 125.00....Not to many people are dishing it out, they cant afford to..Yes it is better, and less expensive then Windows. But money is money.

Again with any operating system there are programs that are going to work, and not going to work. Depends on what VER.

Anyone looking to upgrade..? I have Leo, Tiger, and new apple machines.
    New unibody Macbook Pro, the jacked Model.. Iphone 2G, and 3G, 3G's, And 4G.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 97vrsix View Post
    Its mostly program and machine compatibility. Also a big one is being able to BOOT or USE classic.
    A lot of programers and music people still use some program that will only work hen used with 9.1-9.2...Also 10.2 comes with classic ENVI.
    There are a couple of hacks around allowing Leopard to run Classic. Although god knows why, I don't know any professional music people who are falling back on Classic to run anything that would be useful these days.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    I have a question about Tiger......... why the hell is anyone still using Tiger?

I have an old 500 mhz G3 iBook and I have Tiger on it so I know that some of the very oldest Macs have to use it, but it's been so long since a mac was made that couldn't run Leo I just don't see the problem.

It isn't like Vista where you need all these resources, or is filled with bugs and flaws. Leo is stable as a brick wall and quite fast actually as it is very optimized. Doesn't require much more space than Tiger, and most of the features can be disabled.

Also, to take advantage of the newer multimedia programs, you need Leo.

Appreciate your offer for tech, I'll bug you if I ever think of anything.
    Idk... the 100 dollar upgrade fee? We can't all drive Jags and live like kings

Quote Originally Posted by phifer8390 View Post

I just got this imac. Would it run Leo? Any tricks you can lay upon me. ...
    Yeah it will run Leo fine if you want to shell out 100 bucks for the license...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 09-29-2008 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Previous owner said he had upgraded to Leo and then went back down because it ran on the slow side. I think I will stick with Tiger because it is still a little on the slow side.

Thanks

I have a question. I have an old imac, g4, and it has 256mb of ram, I want to change that 1024, which I've been told is possible. I checked up on it, and I was told that I'd have to get two 512 units, which I also understood. Now here's where I hit a hitch, it says I have zero free memory slots. So how am I going to get two of them in after taking the original out?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    I have a question. I have an old imac, g4, and it has 256mb of ram, I want to change that 1024, which I've been told is possible. I checked up on it, and I was told that I'd have to get two 512 units, which I also understood. Now here's where I hit a hitch, it says I have zero free memory slots. So how am I going to get two of them in after taking the original out?
    You likely have two 128MB DIMMs installed.

Thanks

I went on crucial.com and after it scanned my computer it told me this:
    # Currently Installed Memory: 256MB
    # Available Memory Slots: 0
    # Number of Banks: 1
    # Dual Channel Support: No
    # CPU Manufacturer:
    # CPU Family: PowerPC G4 (3.3) 1.25 GHz
    # CPU Speed: 1250 MHz
    # The DIMM socket is not user accessible. The SODIMM socket is accessible from the bottom of the system.
    Q: How much memory can my computer handle?

A: 1024MB.

Adding the maximum amount of memory will improve performance and help extend the useful life of your system as you run increasingly demanding software applications in the future.
    Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 512MB per slot.*

Thanks

A Bank is two slots.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

461am (10-05-2008)

Thanks

ah, thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks

I am pretty sure ur G4 can handle 2gb of ram. I have read this on many pages saying that 1gb was the supported amount, but it will recognize 2gb.

Thanks

I am pretty sure ur G4 can handle 2gb of ram. I have read this on many pages saying that 1gb was the supported amount, but it will recognize 2gb.
    Could you direct me to where I could purchase these? and what specifications I would be looking for?

Thanks

You would need 2 1gb sticks of pc2700 ram. You can but it at newegg.com I would go with the crucial ram. Also one stick must be laptop and one must be for desktops!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to phifer8390 For This Useful Post:

461am (10-05-2008)

Thanks

You would need 2 1gb sticks of pc2700 ram. You can but it at newegg.com I would go with the crucial ram. Also one stick must be laptop and one must be for desktops!
    Thanks, but a couple more questions.
    You mean I have to get one thats a specific laptop model and then one that's a specific desktop model? Everywhere I look it says notebooks, laptops, etc. Like so: Laptop memory.

And then I found one that didn't mention either: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Technology-CT12864X335-Unbuffered-Non-ECC/dp/B0002VAQR4/ref=pd_cp_e_1?pf_rd_p=413863501&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0006TTDF8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIK X0DER&pf_rd_r=1PS9Q8NEJ8P9FJANZDCD"]http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Technology-CT12864X335-Unbuffered-Non-ECC/dp/B0002VAQR4/ref=pd_cp_e_1?pf_rd_p=413863501&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0006TTDF8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIK X0DER&pf_rd_r=1PS9Q8NEJ8P9FJANZDCD[/ame]

Just pick up one of each and I'll be golden?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    Thanks, but a couple more questions.
    You mean I have to get one thats a specific laptop model and then one that's a specific desktop model? Everywhere I look it says notebooks, laptops, etc. Like so: Laptop memory.

And then I found one that didn't mention either: Amazon.com: Crucial Technology CT12864X335 1GB PC2700 DDR 333MHZ 200PIN SODIMM 2.5V CL2.5 Unbuffered Non-ECC Upgrade Memory Module: Electronics

Just pick up one of each and I'll be golden?

Those are the same thing. There is no difference in notebooks or laptops. You will need one of those and one for desktops that can be found here...
    Newegg.com - pqi POWER Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
    Also you must realize that the second one, the desktop RAM, is a little more difficult to install. Here is a guide.
    iMac G4 Take-apart for Drive and Ram upgrades

I hope this helps!

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a few Questions

iMac Processor is 700MHz PowerPC G4
    Memory is 256 MB SDRAM
    Running Mac OS X 10.4.11(Tiger?)

Can this run Leopard?
    If I installed Leopard will it bog it down it

Dashcode Will not open any Widget.themes so I can edit them for my iPHONE maybe I should find another copy Dashcode off the net

Thanks in advance for your help
    Last edited by mr.sparky; 11-10-2008 at 08:34 PM.
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrsidewayzz's Avatar
    Thanks

wow i remember when i bought my macbook back in mid 2006 this badboy had tiger lol. i love leopard. maybe you can download a free copy from the net.. unlike windows, you dont need a product key to download.
    mrsidewayzz
    iPhone 2G 16GB, iPod Classic 120GB
    MacBook 13.3" 2.0ghz 250GB 2GB
    YNSA, USN