Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wireless security HELP!

Angry Wireless security HELP!
    Hey Guys I'm a new mac user and a new memeber here so, Hi! Anyways I recently bough a Power Mac G4 AGP graphics machine, now it has a PCI Airport clone card in it, it shows up in OS X as an airporrt card anyways. Now heres my problem. The damn thing wont see anything that doesn't have any security on the network or bog standard WEP encryption. I have a linksys router which has WEP security. To make this clear the only things that appear in the wireless networks dropdown list are WPA ones. Catch 22 being I cant change the security on the router to WPA. (dad's router, his rules, etc...) Now heres my questions

A: Can I use WEP networks in Leopard? I'm getting the upgrade disk (yes its unsupported processor wise but leopardassist is the way forward!)

B: is there an alternate wireless manager for Tiger that sees WEP and no encryption networks? and WILL work withh WEP?

So heres a roundup
    Changing the encryption IS NOT an option
    I have no internet on my mac
    My router is a linksys one
    I have Tiger and will be updating to leopard as soon as I can

Thanks in advance, Simon

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

WEP encryption precedes WPA, so anything that supports WPA will support WEP. Older hardware often won't support WPA, but WEP only. Tiger and higher support all forms of wireless encryption. It sounds like you have an issue with your Airport card. Is your software fully up-to-date? There are a number of Airport updates.

You could try using a stumbler application like iStumbler (iStumbler 99) to browse for your network. Maybe try running an Ethernet cable.

I know you said your dad won't change the encryption, but maybe if he knows WEP can be cracked in less than 5 minutes. He's only shooting himself in the foot by not having the highest level of network security he can. unless it's because he has older equipment that doesn't support WPA and higher.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Thanks for your reply! yeah we cant really up the wireless security because we have 2 Ds's and there only WEP only, getting hacked is very unlikely as we live in a street full of old people who dont have computers. Theres an unencryped network so I think the unencypted would be better to steal from :P Does apple have the Airport updates on their website that i could put on a memory stick? I have a windows laptop that can get on the net.

I've got my leopard disk now so i should be updating (Leopardassist FTW). Cheers ill report back if I have any problems.

Again, Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

The best would be to move your Mac so you can plug in via Ethernet and preform a software update. Maybe also check if there are updated drivers for your generic wireless card. I think that might be more of the issue.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!