+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: It's Only a Phone

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have 2 iPhones, gave the unlocked one to my sister in Hong Kong, I kept mine untouched with AT&T, but I'm going to unlock it today and say goodbye
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default It's Only a Phone
    I have 2 iPhones, gave the unlocked one to my sister in Hong Kong, I kept mine untouched with AT&T, but I'm going to unlock it today and say goodbye to AT&T.

Here's why, I went to 2 AT&T stores trying to buy another iPhone to give to my other sister, the sales rep and Managers of both store were full of attitudes, I requested to see the box, they wouldn't show it to me unless I paid for it, I asked them to look in their inventory to sell me one with serial numer below "39", they refused, I was willing to take a chance to buy it anyway, hoping it'll come with the old firmware because I want to let the activation opened to my sister, then they started to ask for personal information, I told them I'm buying it as a gift, then they wanted the phone # and address of my sister....they were all very snotty throughout the process, when I refused to give them the information, they flatly said they're not allowed to sell the iPhones without those information.

Come on, it's only a phone, we're not trying to cure cancer here. I wish all new iPhone buyers will unlock their phones and use services from other providers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmyk328 View Post

Come on, it's only a phone, we're not trying to cure cancer here. I wish all new iPhone buyers will unlock their phones and use services from other providers.
    You know it is pretty screwy. Apple and AT&T are acting like you're trying to rape their baby. But... the tighter their grip, the more that's going to slip through their fingers. You can't stop a revolution.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    You know it is pretty screwy. Apple and AT&T are acting like you're trying to rape their baby. But... the tighter their grip, the more that's going to slip through their fingers. You can't stop a revolution.
    I agree with you completely. I've noticed something very strange, I bought my 2 iPhones from the Apple store, no question was asked, but with AT&T, they guard their inventory like it's top secret, it makes me think may be they're not getting any cuts from the sales of the phone, the only way for them to secure a profit is to make sure the buyers will activate the service contract, if that's true, they better act more friendly, they have now lost me forever as a customer, and if Apple keeps messing up the firmware I might even sell the damn phone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I agree with you completely. I've noticed something very strange, I bought my 2 iPhones from the Apple store, no question was asked, but with AT&T, they guard their inventory like it's top secret, it makes me think may be they're not getting any cuts from the sales of the phone, the only way for them to secure a profit is to make sure the buyers will activate the service contract, if that's true, they better act more friendly, they have now lost me forever as a customer, and if Apple keeps messing up the firmware I might even sell the damn phone.
    apple will probably continue to change things, however the Dev team is here to counter their every move. ****, 2 weeks in and we already have jailbreak and unlock solutions. give it thru the weekend and the whole process will be even easier. so we had to deal with 1.0.2 for another 2-3weeks. its only a small price to pay for modding our phone.

so go ahead, goto the apple store, get your sister a iphone and don't worry if its 1.1.1 b/c u can mod and unlock it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alperovich For This Useful Post:

cmyk328 (10-11-2007)

Thanks

I understand where you're coming from on this. I worked in the cellular industry for 5 years. Please understand that ATT wants you to buy an iPhone and then make the money by your contract. I, as a sales person, would also not want to dwindle my inventory by selling a phone that wasn't going to pay me. If they sell the phones to people not buying contracts then their inventory is depleted for the ones that want the contracts. It is a matter of making commission. Granted, they didn't have to be rude and snotty about it, but I see where they were coming from. That's why Apple stores and apple.com offers them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have switched my phone service from AT&T to T-mobile, everthing works great, signals strength seems to be stronger too, and the best part -- it's PREPAID!!!

I definitely will give 1.1.1 a go when a simplified unlock program becomes available.

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

why not go to the apple store?
     Think Different

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

ATT sucks for buying iPhones. They are rude and always snotty about it. Just go to an apple store, all they take is your email address.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have 2 iPhones, gave the unlocked one to my sister in Hong Kong, I kept mine untouched with AT&T, but I'm going to unlock it today and say goodbye to AT&T.

Here's why, I went to 2 AT&T stores trying to buy another iPhone to give to my other sister, the sales rep and Managers of both store were full of attitudes, I requested to see the box, they wouldn't show it to me unless I paid for it, I asked them to look in their inventory to sell me one with serial numer below "39", they refused, I was willing to take a chance to buy it anyway, hoping it'll come with the old firmware because I want to let the activation opened to my sister, then they started to ask for personal information, I told them I'm buying it as a gift, then they wanted the phone # and address of my sister....they were all very snotty throughout the process, when I refused to give them the information, they flatly said they're not allowed to sell the iPhones without those information.

no offense, but ATT receives hardly nothing for the iphone sale in their store, and your intention is not to use it on their network. They make money from activations and service plans which you clearly didn't want to shop for at their store. I would be snotty to you too. Go to apple to buy it. After all, you can't just walk into any ATT or T-mobile store, buy a phone and walk out, thats how any carrier is, unless its pre-paid
    Really?