+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Whoa. Refub AT&T Phones already Activated?

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Wow. I just got my second refurb 8GB iPhone. This time, I bought it from AT&T, not Apple, for a nice discount. Now. I open up the box, plug the
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Whoa. Refub AT&T Phones already Activated?
    Wow. I just got my second refurb 8GB iPhone. This time, I bought it from AT&T, not Apple, for a nice discount.

Now. I open up the box, plug the phone in and lo and behold. Instead of getting the "Please Connect to iTunes to Activate" screen, I get the home screen directly.

I was shocked. Oh, and it came with 1.0.2? Somebody forgot to wipe this device.... Anybody else have a recently bought refurb iPhone from AT&T (NOT APPLE!), and see this?
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Anyone get a refurb at all?
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I got a refurb came with 1.1.3 though
    and was pre activated also had a b**ch of a time adding it to my family acc actually!

Thanks

Lucky..
    EDM

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Lol, how is that lucky? Doesn't really make a difference either way.

Unless it was at 1.0.2 like mine.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I got an 8gb refurb from AT&T that came with 1.1.4 pre-activated although I then went on to unlocking it :-P.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Hmm, not quite sure why they're doing that, but I guess it doesn't really matter now as it did when the iPhone first came out because of the iPod Touch.

So I am the only one with factory 1.0.2 (and bootloader 3.9)?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default not activated = no warranty
    I got mine from AT&T with the 1.0.2 firmware. Jailbroke, unlocked and activated with iPlus to run with my T-Mobile sim. The problem is that according to Apple, the new warranty on the refurb phone doesn't get extended until the phone is reactivated with AT&T. You can check the warranty expiration date on the Apple site, which I did only to find that mine is due to expire on June 30th. I called Apple about this and they told me that they will reset the warranty date when they get the activation info from AT&T. When I spoke with the Apple warranty plan person she said it could take 10 days for the activation info to show up(?) on their system. I had a feeling we both knew that I didn't actually activate it with AT&T. She agreed that the warranty date would be based upon the date of purchase. For some reason they can't reset the warranty date without activation with AT&T.

I'm not sure how to get an AT&T activation without going through iTunes in some manner. It isn't worth being locked into AT&T for two years at this point. But I still need to get my full year warranty, especially since it would be another 9 months. If I ever had problems I could probably restore the phone but I'm thinking Apple won't touch it unless I have an activated AT&T account.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

activate with GoPhone and/or a fake social security. Then just proceed as normal.

Thanks
    I got a refurb with 1.1.3 the phone is cherry..I love it.. Got it from AT&T

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Mine came jailbroken with 1.1.4

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I hope you mean activated, not jailbroken.