+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: If I Unlock my iPhone, doesn't ATT Know about it?

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi-- I bought an unlocked iPhone, and want to use ATT as the Carrier. Wont they know I've done this? VOLFIE
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default If I Unlock my iPhone, doesn't ATT Know about it?
    Hi--

I bought an unlocked iPhone, and want to use ATT as the Carrier. Wont they know I've done this?

VOLFIE

What's Jailbreak? MasterXXXShake's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe...But who cares? I've been running jailbroken/unlocked iPhones on my ATT account since day one. Never heard a peep out of them. They just keep takin my money every month.

Just be sure you have an unlimited Data plan!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MasterXXXShake For This Useful Post:

shap26 (05-15-2008)

Thanks

No they don't.
    Nor can they do anything about it.

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

i bought mine from carphone warehouse in UK and never even thought to activate it so I haven't used the contract. Apple, cpwh or O2 havn't contacted me(been good 5-8 months) so think its ok.(already got my simcard changed to p&G they were so happy to. LOL)
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MasterXXXShake View Post
    Maybe...But who cares? I've been running jailbroken/unlocked iPhones on my ATT account since day one. Never heard a peep out of them. They just keep takin my money every month.

Just be sure you have an unlimited Data plan!!
    Hi,
    I have a question for you. I have a JB iPHone, jailbroken few days after I got it in September (and re-jailbroken to 1.1.3). I never felt I needed to unlock it because I am an ATT legit customer with unlimited data plan (standard iPhone contract). However, I go to Italy every summer. What I used to do until last summer was to swap my american SIM card in my Razor (unlocked) with an italian TIM card. Now I am considering unlocking my iPhone in preparation for my trip to Italy. Do you think I can unlock, keep using my ATT SIM card until summer, then switch to the TIM card (I used to switch the cards in my Razor on the plane), use it in Italy, then switch back on my way back to the States, and have full functionality again?
    Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone the sr5's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marcoiac View Post
    Hi,
    I have a question for you. I have a JB iPHone, jailbroken few days after I got it in September (and re-jailbroken to 1.1.3). I never felt I needed to unlock it because I am an ATT legit customer with unlimited data plan (standard iPhone contract). However, I go to Italy every summer. What I used to do until last summer was to swap my american SIM card in my Razor (unlocked) with an italian TIM card. Now I am considering unlocking my iPhone in preparation for my trip to Italy. Do you think I can unlock, keep using my ATT SIM card until summer, then switch to the TIM card (I used to switch the cards in my Razor on the plane), use it in Italy, then switch back on my way back to the States, and have full functionality again?
    Thanks
    Yes you can unlock it no problem... if you have already activated it and you unlock it, there is no need to run the activation, just unlock... ATT wont know, and even if they did, who cares... even if they wanted to do anything, they couldn't, the case would never stand in court, you paid for the device, in turn you own the device, hence its your right to do what you want with the device... dont worry about it...

Thanks

The iPhone is extremely versatile SIM card wise. switch and switch back. restore over and over again. ATT and Apple don't give a ****. They get your monthly fees. Good enough for them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Actually, they do know, but they can't do anything about it. I have an iPhone which I unlocked and I thought they would not know about it since I did not officially activate it. When I checked my online wireless account I was surprised when I saw that the device registered under my number was the iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the sr5 View Post
    Yes you can unlock it no problem... if you have already activated it and you unlock it, there is no need to run the activation, just unlock... ATT wont know, and even if they did, who cares... even if they wanted to do anything, they couldn't, the case would never stand in court, you paid for the device, in turn you own the device, hence its your right to do what you want with the device... dont worry about it...
    but he should bring his razor as a back up just incase. i would hate to be overseas lost with no phone.

AJMCTAGGART
    I don't think they care about Jailbreaks or unlocks as long as they are your Service Provider. That said, I bought an iPhone off Craigslist that was initially fraudulently purchased. They knew that and within 90 days hit me with the total charge for the phone on my bill. I am now dealing with the ATT fraud dept. This phone was for my mom, had no intention of unlocking or jailbreaking.

With that said, I could have taken that same fraudulently purchased (not by me!) iPhone and unlocked it, run TMO and never have a problem in the world...Oh the irony

Thanks

I've been using an iPhone for about a month now.

I checked online today and saw that they automatically detected my phone type was iPhone.

They didn't change any of the plan information except that they disabled my ability to send MMS.

Even if I try to use my old Samsung D807. :/

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

itz bcuz u get a "special" iphone plan...they now wat u have but i dont think they now the programming of it though

Livin the iPhone Life NeoNightmareX's Avatar
    Thanks

I have an Unlocked 2G iPhone on the OLD AT&T network (pre-Cingular merger).
    I haven't been asked to change my plan, I haven't been charged for a new data plan, etc etc.
    They won't know, they won't care. Don't worry about it
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store