+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Weak/No service. iPhone 3Gs & gophone questions.

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I recently bought an iPhone 3Gs from a friend. Currently sitting at iOS 5.0.1. Today I tried to switch my gophone plan over to the iPhone. I went to the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Weak/No service. iPhone 3Gs & gophone questions.
    I recently bought an iPhone 3Gs from a friend. Currently sitting at iOS 5.0.1. Today I tried to switch my gophone plan over to the iPhone. I went to the local at&t, where I paid for more service, and they gave me a new sim card to use for my iPhone. The associate couldn't get the service to turn on, so he told me to take it home and do a restore through itunes.

Here's where it gets tricky (For me, anyways.) As I was on my way home, I checked my phone and I had service, though it was only 1 bar. A few seconds later, it said "Searching" and then "No service." I've searched everything I could think of but I've had no luck. I'm beginning to assume the problem lies with the phone itself, not the sim or the gophone plan. My service bounces around from 1-2 bars to No service at all. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be? I can't even seem to find enough service to send and receive texts/calls reliably. With the old phone I was using, I got full service at my home.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any ideas or answers.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've had the same problem with my iPhone 4 for over a month now and have searched in vain for a solution. Very frustrating.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When I set mine up over the weekend, I had this exact problem. I had hacktivated my phone because I got it a few days before my SIM card. What I did was restore the phone to normal firmware and then when I went through the activation process, it recognized the SIM just fine.
    edit: it was a 3GS btw
    Last edited by speedforce131; 03-26-2012 at 02:56 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply speedforce. Unfortunately, I've tried that a few times with no success.

Green Apple
    Thanks

When a new SIM installed, it's always a good idea to Restart. Generally, ATT will not knowingly activate or provide you with a GoPhone SIM FOR any iPhone. It will work but certain features might not, like MMS or reliable access to the 3G platform. Almost for sure, you will have to set the APN profile in your phone to match what ATT requires for 3G access. I have used APN changer with partial success since there is no way to access the APN setting in the iPhone unless it is unlocked, or the APN programming is done by ATT.

To troubleshoot the no service issue, try the SIM in another phone. If it doesn't work, the SIM is likely defective.