+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Prepaid Plan on IPhone 4-Advice on data plans

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I bought an IPhone 4 from a friend. I then bought a prepaid phone with a SIM card. I cut the SIM card to micro size, inserted the SIM into
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Prepaid Plan on IPhone 4-Advice on data plans
    I bought an IPhone 4 from a friend. I then bought a prepaid phone with a SIM card. I cut the SIM card to micro size, inserted the SIM into the IPhone 4. I went on to the ATT GoPhone site and tried to activate the IPhone with it's IMEI number and it did not work.. I then tried to activate the IPhone with the original GoPhone's IMEI number and it worked perfectly in the IPhone. I am on the $2 a day plan. I have not tried to use any data, nor do I have a data plan. I want to switch to the $50 unlimited plan. I called 611 the other day to switch plans, but it asked me if I had a smartphone. Should I say I I have a smartphone or should I say no? The SIM card is registered to a regular prepaid phone. I use mostly WIFI and would rarely use data off of WIFI. I don't want to pay the extra $25 for a data plan that I won't use that much. But I would like to have the availability to use data when I am not on a WIFI network.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    iPhones do not work on the $50 everything plan like regular smartphones. It does not matter what IMEI it has either (mine is simply 15 0's). I pay $25 / month for 250 minutes and unlimited text. Zero data. You've got to buy data packages with this phone and change your APN. I live in a blanket of wifi so I've not worried about data.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fac3l3ss For This Useful Post:

krogger (01-25-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fac3l3ss View Post
    iPhones do not work on the $50 everything plan like regular smartphones. It does not matter what IMEI it has either (mine is simply 15 0's). I pay $25 / month for 250 minutes and unlimited text. Zero data. You've got to buy data packages with this phone and change your APN. I live in a blanket of wifi so I've not worried about data.
    Thanks for the info.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yes you can have a smartphone on pay as you go. I currently have a Samsung Focus, with the $50 unlimited plan, the unlimited data in that plan wont work on the smartphones so you have to add a data pkg. I have 500mb a month for $25, so my bill is $75 + tax. They also have 100mb for $15 and 10mb for $5 dollars. You can also call at&t and they can unlock you prepaid sim card, so it works in any phone, thats what I did cause I am currently looking to replace the Focus. And yes you can use wifi where ever you want. McDonalds, Barnes & Nobles, Perkins, tons of places have free wifi. I am also thinking of getting a iPhone 4 and cutting my sim down for it and using it on prepaid. My only concern is I did it once when i was on contract and i think i messed up cutting the sim cause the data wouldnt work, only wifi worked.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pbentson82 For This Useful Post:

krogger (01-25-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I activated the phone, but you are right, data does not work. I am going to get the cheapest data plan and see if it works. I will post and let you know what happens. Thanks for the info.