+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS with no data plan? (or cheapest option available)

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I just wanted to know if there was any way I could use my iPhone 3GS without a data plan? I've read tons of posts online about not being able
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3GS with no data plan? (or cheapest option available)
    I just wanted to know if there was any way I could use my iPhone 3GS without a data plan?

I've read tons of posts online about not being able to, but I just wanted to see if there was any new progress made (posts were 1+year old)

And if not, what is my cheapest option? I am currently on an AT&T family plan with unlimited texting/shared minutes (using a dumb phone). I really just want unlimited texts, but, as I understand it, AT&T forces you to get a Data Plan and they make you get an iPhone-specific texting plan.

I'd love to hear about the GoPhone options or PAYG plans (I'm reading the sticky already but any other info is appreciated)

If this is in the wrong forum I apologize, and, thanks in advance!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes, I have been doing this for months no glitches. If you don't want a contract and don't have a sim, the easiest least expensive way to do this is to go to an AT&T store, tell them that you want to open a GoPhone account and put as little or as much money in the plan as you desire. I have a $50.00 plan that provides unlimited talk and text for each month with MM texting all inclusive. BUT DATA is another matter. Don't tell them you have a smartphone or an iPhone just get the GoPhone Sim with voice and text.

Insert the SIM in your iPhone (must be an AT&T phone) and that's it. You will not be able to use DATA even if you try, I've tried this and it won't even make a connection to the data services. You can then use 3G mode or turn 3G off--up to you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay - I have an iphone 3gs and am looking to get the 4. My sons blackberry curve just died. It does not have a data plan connected to it! If I put his sim card in myold iphone 3gs and disable the 3g will AT& T be able to tell he is calling and texting on a iphone. PLEASE dont tell me the iphone is useless without a data plan. My son is 10 and calls/texts mainly his father and I. He uses my iphone to play apps and would love it if he could use his own instead. I dont want to shell out 200 for a itouch -he is a boy and 10 and would forget to take both the phone and itouch. Seems silly to just put the iphone in a drawer and shell out more money for a used blackberry. Please advise. Sorry to be reasking, most threads are several months old.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I would suggest the sticky at the top, making the 3GS into a gophone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Making an iphone into a gophone for $50 a month makes no sense. My extra line is only costing me $10 a month now. For an extra $15 I could give him the iphone with data for a total of $25 a month. I dont want to spend the $15 extra per month.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don't pay $50 for the gophone plan, I buy the minute cards online (found a discount site) and add them to the phone, where each is good for 3 months. In your case you could do that, turn off the 3g and data to ensure it has only wifi connection, then just buy him the $5 for 200 texts a month.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by digitalreflex View Post
    I don't pay $50 for the gophone plan, I buy the minute cards online (found a discount site) and add them to the phone, where each is good for 3 months. In your case you could do that, turn off the 3g and data to ensure it has only wifi connection, then just buy him the $5 for 200 texts a month.

I went into an AT&T Store and was able to get a (I believe) 250 minute calling plan with an unlimited texting plan for $25 a month. I disabled 3G and Data and have been using the 3GS perfectly fine since then!

However, if you are on a normal AT&T plan (ie a family plan or something), I believe AT&T would be able to recognize that your son is using an iPhone/Smartphone, even if you were to turn off the 3G and Data.

Unfortunately, I was unable to use my old phone number (you can't use your old number on a gophone/PAYG plan, but you can still use the line and just add the $25/month plan).

Green Apple
    Thanks

im not sure how its working for you guys, but when i put an att-labeled gophone sim into my iphone it got flagged and locked within a day. i then had to buy a cingular sim from ebay and activate it at the gophone website and no problems. guess it doesnt happen to everyone. but if you use a prepaid service like prepaid att or airvoice you can get a txt and talk plan only and it will be fine.