+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need smaller sim card for 4G.

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Uh oh. This is an awkward situation.... I just bought a used 4G on eBay only to find that my SIM card doesn't fit in the slot. "That's no problem,"
    Thanks

Post Need smaller sim card for 4G.
    Uh oh. This is an awkward situation.... I just bought a used 4G on eBay only to find that my SIM card doesn't fit in the slot. "That's no problem," you say. "Just go to AT&T and they will upgrade your card."

Well it is a problem. Because for the past 5 years I have been using iPhones on my AT&T account without a data plan. I had AT&T put a data block on my account years ago when I still had a regular phone and then I just transferred the SIM card to my iPhone. I never use my iPhone for data except when I'm in a WiFi zone. Saves me a lot of money. It's not really illegal or unethical because I'm not using AT&T's services anymore than I would with a regular phone.

But now I've got this hot little 4G in my hand and I can't use it. Can anyone help me out?
    "Travel light, live light, spread the light, be the light"

Thanks
    Thanked 14,805 Times in 6,884 Posts

You should be able to cut it down. I suggest one of the micro-sim cutters. Looks kinda like a little stapler.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

cousinphil (09-15-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    You should be able to cut it down. I suggest one of the micro-sim cutters. Looks kinda like a little stapler.
    Great! That did the trick. I watched a YouTube video on how to cut the card down. It worked like a charm. thanks a bunch.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,805 Times in 6,884 Posts

No prob

Green Apple
    Thanks

How have you not been put on a smart phone data plan yet? I thought AT&T searched their network for smart phone IMEI's and forced you put a data plan on that line even if you bought the phone outright.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yes do tell. Turning data off will not prevent detection of a smartphone followed by automatic addtion of a data plan by AT&T.

Thanks

Lightbulb No data plan with iPhone
    OK. Here's the deal. ATT can detect my smartphone. But I have a data block on my account so I'm not using any more of their bandwidth than a regular cellphone. They could throw the book at me and demand that I pay twice what I'm paying now for mine and my wife's iPhones. But why would they? They know that I'll just switch to a different carrier. I'm on my third iPhone (4G) and my wife is still on her 2G iPhone and we've never paid any more than the lowest basic rate. We've been doing this for about five years.

We both started out with regular cellphones and a two year contract. We bought our iPhones on eBay and then switched the SIM cards. The contract has long since expired but we pay our bill every month so why should they care? Wasn't ATT bummed out about overuse of their network by smartphones a while back?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cousinphil For This Useful Post:

gogorock (10-30-2011)