+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: APN settings for ATT gophone data plan not working

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
iPhone 3GS, unlocked....found out unlockit.co.nz has been down, so I had no luck there. Used good ole google and found this link- IPhone - APN Changer and Data Sim Guide
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iPhone 3GS, unlocked....found out unlockit.co.nz has been down, so I had no luck there. Used good ole google and found this link- IPhone - APN Changer and Data Sim Guide Followed Solution A, with no sim card, followed by a network reset. Put in the sim card, turned her back on, held my breath, crossed my fingers and all is working!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default $50 Unlimited Go Phone Plan on iPhone 4
    Hey guys, Im having a similar problem. I recetly switched over to go phone $50 unlimited plan from H20 wireless (crapy costumer service).
    I have an iPhone 4 on 5.0.1. I can make calls, send and receive SMS and MMS. Now data....NOT WORKING!!! I have tired that Unlockit.co.nz website and no luck. My iPhone is Jailbroken and I am able to change my Cellular Data Network apn settings manualy. I have tired the wap.cingular, att.mvno, and isp.cingular. I have even tried yelling at it and nothing. My Data wont work. It keeps telling me that it can not connect to the internet..

Long Story Short.......No internet, Used unlockit.co.nz (didnt work!) on Unlimited $50 Go Phone plan.....iPhone 4.....yelled at it......PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks
    Lopeztrd, if you read http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp it states that the "$50 a month unlimited gophone plan" is NOT for smart phones. its for 2g internet (Edge) and is not made for 3g no one has found a way to get it working yet, until then you have to add a data package.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am getting so aggravated with this. I bought the $50 plan and then added the 10 MB data plan on top, since everywhere I read that as long as you have a data plan, it'll work. I did the unlockit.co.nz thing and set everything up and the data seemed to be working for about an hour, but now it doesn't work again. I think the 10 MB must have run out, and now I don't know what to do. Help?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

@JoeWhalen, if you had it working but now it isn't I'm almost positive it must be because you only bought the 10mb package. You can burn through that very fast. I alternate between the 500mb and 100mb packages (my usage per month is a little over 100). I would suggest grabbing one of the larger plans (100 or 500) depending on how much you plan on using each month. Remember, if you don't use it all, as long as you add anothr data plan before the 1st expires it will roll over your unused megabytes.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had the same issue on my jailbroken, unlocked, iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.3.3, trying to get cellular data to work on AT&T GoPhone. What worked for me was going to Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone and selecting AT&T (PAYG) as my carrier. This added a username (wap%40cingulargprs.com) and password (don't know what, just dots show). After rebooting, I have cellular data.

Duane

Thanks

This most recent post above worked on the $50 GoPhone plan ONLY; no data package added. It only worked after my phone battery died last night around 11 PM PST. I put it on the charger and as my phone rebooted, my data was working for the first time. I then tried to take advantage of the situation and installed TetherMe to Tether to my computer. This made it stop working.
    I've tried redoing the steps above and it just doesn't work anymore.
    There is hope though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I recently purchased two ATT iPhone 3GS off craigslist. And, two orange sims off eBay. Both iPhone's have been activated on ATT's GoPhone minute service and have a small data plan. I used unlockit.co.nz to create and change the APN to
    ATT wap.cingular. One phone can access data, the other can not. I have tried various APN's on the one that does not work. And, I have tried various 'fixes' recommended on the internet. No luck.

So, to learn more, I exchanged the two sims to see if the problem was with one of the iPhones. The 'no data' access problem followed the sim...indicating to me that both iPhones were ok.

The question is what should I do now? Keep trying various APN's, get a new sim, or try some other idea?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jostarr View Post
    I recently purchased two ATT iPhone 3GS off craigslist. And, two orange sims off eBay. Both iPhone's have been activated on ATT's GoPhone minute service and have a small data plan. I used unlockit.co.nz to create and change the APN to
    ATT wap.cingular. One phone can access data, the other can not. I have tried various APN's on the one that does not work. And, I have tried various 'fixes' recommended on the internet. No luck.

So, to learn more, I exchanged the two sims to see if the problem was with one of the iPhones. The 'no data' access problem followed the sim...indicating to me that both iPhones were ok.

The question is what should I do now? Keep trying various APN's, get a new sim, or try some other idea?

Turns out mine was a simple fix. There was only 348kb of data available for this phone. I added 10 mb of data
    and the phone immediately could access web pages and othr data hogs. Apparently, some minimum amount of data
    must be available for things to work. Has anybody else experienced the same thing?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes. i have been using my phone with the go plan from at&t for a year now, and this has happened many times. i think another reason is because the phone shouldnt be working with the goplan data, so i think sometimes it loses connection. i use to disconnect and connect the date everytime i used it, but now i just leave it, because the buttons stopped working, i know its touch screen, but it would connect. that was on the 3g iphone, now i have the iphone 4. and it also disconnects sometimes. but i always try all the tricks and it ends up working one way or the other.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Easy solution for all idevices....
    1. Download and install free Apple Configurator from the App Store.
    2. Enter the WAP settings for GoPhone into tool
    Data APN wap.cingular
    Data APN Username [email protected]
    Data APN Password CINGULAR1
    3. Deploy profile to iPhone.

Done.... When you change sim remove the profile from Settings.
    Have been using this process for the last 3 years every time I go to the US.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi!
    Is this still working I was told by a local iphone geek shop that this no longer works with gophone
    I would like to try if it works for you,please reply thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by awolfend View Post
    Easy solution for all idevices....
    1. Download and install free Apple Configurator from the App Store.
    2. Enter the WAP settings for GoPhone into tool
    Data APN wap.cingular
    Data APN Username [email protected]
    Data APN Password CINGULAR1
    3. Deploy profile to iPhone.

Done.... When you change sim remove the profile from Settings.
    Have been using this process for the last 3 years every time I go to the US.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This process still works.

An even simpler solution is to use the unlockit APN changer site:
    Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone and select att.
    This is an untethered solution to working with GoPhone.

Nice work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone on GoPhone $50 plan with Visual Voicemail?
    Is this possible? According to all the previous posts data on the $50 plan is possible without buying an additional data package; you just can't get greedy and enable tethering, right? Is it possible that with the data plan visual voicemail will work? Or is this a FEATURE that needs to be ENABLED?

Quote Originally Posted by awolfend View Post
    This process still works.

An even simpler solution is to use the unlockit APN changer site:
    Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone and select att.
    This is an untethered solution to working with GoPhone.

Nice work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone try this recently? I've used the APN Changer from Unlockit without issue for the last 3 years and even as recently as March of this year - but I just got back from Maine/New Hampshire and this time data wouldn't work at all. Removed the APN settings and got the expected "Unable to activate cellular data network" - but put the APN wap.cingular.net from unlockit and I don't get an error, but I can't get anywhere.

It is possible that they frigged up my account, and also this SIM was used by someone else back in March so maybe there's something preventing me from using it?

Either way, I need a more reliable way to roam in the US (from Canada) on the IPhone as AT&T is becoming increasingly uncooperative in this. Last time we practically had to beg the guy at the AT&T store in Bangor to just sell us the SIM and "trust me, we'll get it to work okay"

Wow... somewhere in there it looks like they managed to take my money, charge me for a data package, and not actually put a data package on there:

Feature Packages:

Name Balance Effective Expiration
    No active feature packages are assigned to this account.

======================================

So I found out PART of the issue...

They don't support data packages on the $2/day plans as of April 1st.... So you need to have the $25/month prepaid plan to add a $5,$15 or $25 data plan to it.

I'm still a but suspicious that they might be finally doing some blocking of the IPhone IMEI block on prepaid, but maybe I'm just paranoid. If anyone else is still working fine on a GoPhone micro sim with a newer IPhone using the cingular APN from unlockit, post it here and it would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Unsta; 07-27-2012 at 07:54 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi folks- old thread but hopefully someone out there is listening...
    I have a iphone 4 jailbreaked, on firmware 4.12.01. I am the type who forgets stuff after its been a while then I need to re-educate myself ALL OVER again. I remember that I need to unlock my phone to use the gophone data that comes with my $50/month palne, but do not remember why. Will buying a new imei work? And will that mean that I will get SMS ttexts again? Also- I am wondering if I upgrade to new operating system 6 (currently 5.1.1, jailbroken on Absinthe) will the firmware stay the same? I just am ready to pay if that means I can have service everywhere- and I forget why I think my phone should be unlocked. Is it illegal to do now? Am I too late?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks

My wife is using her 3gs as a go phone still, but she is on 5.something. She currently doesn't use any data (her choice) but we buy the monthly texting for her and that works just fine. If I remember when I set it up I did use ultrasnow to unlock it but I don't think I needed to since I ended up using it on ATT rather than Tmobile. Sorry but I can't answer the other question about upgrading the firmware.

As far as legality, I don't think it's illegal for a phone you own outright, only for brand new ones that are bought at discounted rates.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to digitalreflex For This Useful Post:

greengoddess (02-13-2013)

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12