+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Initial Tethering setup if I have Unlimited data?

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Back when I had my iPhone 3G I used that BenM.at hack to do Tethering. It came in damn handy one day when we had a 4+ hour power blackout
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Initial Tethering setup if I have Unlimited data?
    Back when I had my iPhone 3G I used that BenM.at hack to do Tethering.

It came in damn handy one day when we had a 4+ hour power blackout in my neighborhood!

Now with my iPhone 4 (and with the BenM.at package no longer installed) I've never tried to tether ... but when I go to Settings -> General -> Network I see Internet Tethering with a spinning cursor ...

Eventually the cursor stops and it changes to Set Up Internet Tethering which, if I press it, brings up a popup message saying

--------------------------------------------
    Set Up Internet Tethering
    To enable tethering on this account,
    contact AT&T at 611 or visit
    http://www.att.com/mywireless

[Call]
    [Go to Website]

[Cancel]
    -------------------------------------------

I see lots of posts from people that use Tethering - and of course lots of recent posts from people getting a slap on the wrist from AT&T for it - does that mean all of you called AT&T or set it up via the Web page?

I can't help but think "contact AT&T at 611" or "visit http://www.att.com/mywireless" translates to "You'll lose your Unlimited data plan and be forced to use a Tethering plan", which obviously I don't want to do.

I still have a grandfathered $30/month Unlimited data plan from my 3G days ... why am I getting cock-blocked trying to Tether?

Is this a case of "You should've set up Tethering on your iPhone 4 as soon as you got it, now it's too late, they got you"?

Thanks

Unfortunately, your unlimited data plan does not include tethering. To get the tether feature to work, you would have to drop your unlimited plan, and move to the plan that includes data and tethering for $40/month. That only gives you 2GB of data and 2GB to tether, though. I don't recommend switching off of your unlimited plan. If you're jailbroken, download an app from Cydia called MyWi, which allows you to tether for free. One word of caution, some people have recently reported receiving an email from AT&T who are using a lot of data with this app, stating that they needed to contact AT&T if wanted to continue to tether, or their plan would be switched to one that includes tethering.....

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks Irish Rose. That ties some things together.

I was seeing lots of people posting in the other thread (about people receiving SMS & letters about being naughty tetherers) saying they were tethering (or using lots of data every month, at any rate) and were on the Unlimited plan, so obviously I'm sitting here wondering how that was ... I guess maybe they are all MyWi users?

(I have the MyWi trial demo installed, but have never tried it out. "MyWi" seems like a bit of a misnomer, name-wise, if its real use is 'unauthorized' tethering ... )

Thanks

i use mywi and havent received that one, that note gears towards users who have more then 10 gigs monthly...but it is a great tethering option as it now supports infrastructure mode
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 778 Posts

MyWi is one of the only reasons I jailbreak my phone!!! The 10MB users are getting the warning from AT&T and they are now targeting users that go over 5MB.

As far as the name; I always thought MyWi meant My WiFi Hotspot cuz that's originally what your phone became.

Lastly, if u do get MyWi then be smart about it. Use it for occasional tethering. Don't download large files w/ it (unless absolutely necessary) and you'll easily stay under 2-5MB per month. The one-time $20 cost beats AT&T's $20/month fee.

Thanks

BTW, AT&T's warning message is to get those people w/ unlimited plans to switch so they can charge us more. Plain and Simple...they're trying to scare us!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm a little lost - when I first checked out MyWi it seemed like its main purpose was to allow you to tether over WiFi. (I guess you can add over Bluetooth® and USB to the mix as well.)

That part I get, although I must admit the idea of having a device with no WiFi capability - one that you'd want to use with tethering, anyway - seems a little unusual these days.

What I don't get is the idea of tethering and using large amounts of data over 3G.

As I said in my OP, I used tethering once or twice (over 3G) back when I had an iPhone 3G. We had a 4-hour power blackout one night, and I connected the iPhone 3G via USB to my MacBook Pro and tethered over 3G, and it was a workable (albeit slow) way to pass the time until the power came back on.

In the normal case I'm scratching my head trying to find instances where you'd want to tether large amounts of data over 3G ... people are mentioning NetFlix®(!) and Pandora®!

While I suppose there are people with DSL or cable modems that don't have any wireless networks in their house/apartment hanging off of them to use, but why not just use NetFlix and Pandora on the box attached to the DSL or cable modem

It just seems so unusual to be in a position to need to tether large amounts of data ...

Anyway, personally I don't have much use for it I guess, so maybe I should just set up MyWi and have it around for a 'rainy day'. In the interim I won't give up my Unlimited data plan, so I guess the Settings button for Set Up Internet Tethering will remain lonely

Thanks

MyWi is useful for those 'rainy days' or when you go out of town and need ur laptop or iPad for something.

Those people streaming large amounts of data through their iPhone are foolish. A lot of people have even stopped paying for home Internet and just use their phone as their Internet connection!!! That is NOT what tethering was designed for and it has been abused.

Get MyWi and you'll always have Internet access for ur laptop, home computer, iPad in those 'just in case' moments. It's paid for itself 100 times over!

BTW, if u get MyWi but dont have an iPad yet, if or when u get one then you can save $100 by getting the WiFi only model plus save the $15/month data charge because you have MyWi! Lastly, MyWi can be installed on any iPhone you own, for free, after the initial $20 purchase!!! It's a win-win no matter how u look at it!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can certainly see those 'rainy day' uses, though it seems like nowadays even most hotels/motels have wireless access! I guess in "my world" I rarely have situations where I am stuck with only 3G access (or worse) and wanting to use a laptop.

I agree about foolish - I just read a response in that "AT&T vs Unlimited Plan Users: Round 2" thread where the guy said he had wireless at home, but only used the phone via tethering because he wanted to stick it to AT&T!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    MyWi is one of the only reasons I jailbreak my phone!!!
    Same here. Although I also like the customization that JB offers.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Postscript:

How's this for irony? Time-Warner/Road Runner's router for my area went down about 3 hours ago. I am posting this message from my MyWi-tethered MacBook Pro

It was relatively painless to set up but there were some issues. For some reason, with my iPhone 4 connected via USB, my Network panel in System Preferences kept claiming it wasn't connected.

A bigger problem was that it wouldn't work if I had MyWi set to "Auto" - even after I turned off my AirPort interface on my MacBook Pro as well as in my iPhone 4. I had to explicitly set the MyWi setting to "3G" for everything to work properly.

All's well that ends well - now to see if I get an SMS NastyGram™ from AT&T

Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks

Do this: http://forums.macrumors (DOT) com/showthread.php?t=984943

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

@ RiotNrrd,
    That's weird...
    I've nevr had to set anything up with my MB when tethering.

Actually, I realized I use the WiFi tethering and charge the phone off the MB since using WiFi tethering burns your phone battery fast. I don't think I've ever used the USB tether function before!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    Same here. Although I also like the customization that JB offers.

Well of course I like the tweaks too! I just can't go w/out the tether option!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Interesting ... this seems much in the spirit of the original BenM.at hack package.

(At first I didn't know what CommCenter was ... I thought "I've never even heard of such an app ... ". D'oh!)

I'm certainly capable of doing this hack, but I have to be honest and say that now that I have MyWi working, I'm less inclined to resort to slightly-complicated hacks like this one, just from the "How-how-the-heck-did-I-do-this-again?" effect after every iOS upgrade. Installing .debs and modifying .plist files and whatnot is a bit of a pain to have to keep track of ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by riotnrrrd View Post

Interesting ... This seems much in the spirit of the original benm.at hack package.

(at first i didn't know what commcenter was ... I thought "i've never even heard of such an app ... ". D'oh!)

i'm certainly capable of doing this hack, but i have to be honest and say that now that i have mywi working, i'm less inclined to resort to slightly-complicated hacks like this one, just from the "how-how-the-heck-did-i-do-this-again?" effect after every ios upgrade. Installing .debs and modifying .plist files and whatnot is a bit of a pain to have to keep track of ...
    +1
    k.i.s.s.