+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone GoPhone

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Guide to turn your old iPhone into a pay as you go GoPhone This will show the following. iPhone 4 (Locked or unlocked) iPhone 3g and 3gs (Locked or unlocked)
    Thanks
    Default iPhone GoPhone
    Guide to turn your old iPhone into a pay as you go GoPhone

This will show the following.
    iPhone 4 (Locked or unlocked)
    iPhone 3g and 3gs (Locked or unlocked)

-iPhone 3g & 3gs-
    This ones very simple.

First get a gophone from your local store
    AT&T GoPhone Prepaid Samsung A107 - $14.99 (USD)
    Call AT&T and activate the sim on the gophone add some money to your account and make a quick test call on the cheap gophone to see if it works

OR go into AT&T ask for a gophone sim card and set it up for free and tell them you have a phone at home to save money.

After that pop open your sim slot on top of your iphone with a paper clip or a pin of some sort like so-

Now place the sim into the iPhone sim bay following the groves in the sim bay slot and pop it back in, look for the AT&T logo at the top corner and make a test call.

After that works hop on your Wifi network and go to Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone and touch "Disable data - Fake APN" this will stop the 1C per K/B used

If you add the data pack to your account you will not need to do the APN change.

After this you should be set to go and use your iPhone 3g or 3gs

-iPhone 4-
    This ones a bit harder but worth it.

You will need one of the following
    -Micro sim cutter $8.99 (USD) & gophone simcard (Free at any local AT&T store)
    -pre-activated micro sim on ebay $4.99 (USD)

The pre-activated sim is easier to get and is alot faster.
    But if you alredy have a full size sim and have activated or have one from your old gophone you can use the sim cutter to cut it down to size. (make sure you cut the sim the right way not backwards or upside down)

Open the sim slot in your iPhone 4 with a paper clip or a pin like so-

Add your new micro sim and add time and test it with a phone call.

Now you have 2 choices, data or no data.
    Data will cost more and if you go over you can find yourself in alot of trouble with the 1C per 5KB UNLESS you add the 500mb (Half a GB) for $25 (USD) if you do add a data plan you do not need to change your APN.

Without data you can use data stuff via wifi and MMS will work without wifi but you will not be able to use data when you do not have wifi

To add data just add the feature package on the gophone website and your ready to go, no APN change needed.

If you do not want data change your APN like so by going to Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone and selecting "Custom APN" and making it the following

Name: Fakeapn
    Username: <Blank>
    Password: <Blank>
    Carrier: <Blank>

After that your iPhone 4 should be set and ready to go.

Any questions? post below and i will be glad to answer and help!

UPDATE!
    at&t has added a new data plan for the gophone service.
    * $.01 for 5KB (not available for smartphone plans)
    * $5 for 10 MB
    * $15 for 100 MB
    * $25 for 500 MB
    $25 for half a gig isn't too bad for a extremely light user.

Personal recommendations: AT&T's GoPhone plan unlimited talk and text for $50 a month and add 500MB for $25; A total of $75 for unlimited talk text and 500mb of web on a iphone on the AT&T network prepaid.
    Last edited by Tokioh; 11-15-2011 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Updated

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Its easy i just done it, first you just go to A&TT store and ask for Prepaid than they going ask you if u need PHONE or not just say No so you can save $15 on the phone, after they done reigster your sim card just take to another A&TT store ask them to cut into micro for you and its FREE no charge to cut....that what i do and work 100%

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i need some help please. i just put my iphone on a gophone plan the 2 dollar a day. i then set the apn to use data. everything worked perfect except it took 15 for only 2 seconds of web browsing is there a reason it did this

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xxmiaja View Post
    i need some help please. i just put my iphone on a gophone plan the 2 dollar a day. i then set the apn to use data. everything worked perfect except it took 15 for only 2 seconds of web browsing is there a reason it did this
    Data costs 1 cent per K/B used. 15 cents for 15K/B of data used. data is not free im afraid.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Mms not working-can send not receive
    i have an iphone 4 just activated with gophone and everything works but i can not receive mms...please help. i have the unlimited talk/text and 200mb data

Thanks

I want to do this with my current iPhone gophone account. Upgrade from 2g to 4g. Is there anything preventing me from cutting sim and putting in iPhone 4. Will AT&T get pissy since they said my iPhone unlimited data account was only good with original iPhone ... Will this affect that ?

Thanks

Ps. I'm an original ongoing pick your plan customer from feb 2008. Moving from 2g 16g iPhone to iPhone 4 with 4.2.1. Firmware

Thanks
    As far as I know it should be fine, I'm switching to a fully paid AT&T plan soon, will be the same as I pay now to get On a play with my girlfriend.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rodierick View Post
    I want to do this with my current iPhone gophone account. Upgrade from 2g to 4g. Is there anything preventing me from cutting sim and putting in iPhone 4. Will AT&T get pissy since they said my iPhone unlimited data account was only good with original iPhone ... Will this affect that ?
    You should be fine. Two things:
    1) If your SIM becomes unusable for any reason, make sure your rep does the SIM replacement (and re-provisioning of your data plan) the right way the first time. I had my old PYP-iPhone 2G account become junk by a simple at&t rep error, and they won't correct it after the fact as PYP/iPhone isn't really supported very well by CS anymore. If you're that concerned about your SIM going bad, then you might think twice about using a new phone OR look into a non-PYP setup. Keep using your current SIM (just buy a cutter online to make it fit in a MicroSIM slot) as long as possible.
    2) Don't heavily increase your data habits. SInce PYP is discontinued, if they somehow flag you for over use, disconnect you or force you off those grandfathered plans in any way, you're SOL. Just keep that in mind and keep your usage in moderation.
    3) Don't change features or your main plan until you know for sure your features will stay intact. Some of the newer-ish plans (such as the promo plans with higher amounts of N&W and M2M minutes) only worked with non-grandfathered features.

Other than that, play on.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks

So thirty days after the earthquake and radioactive event, I got my sim cutter from Asian airmail and I cut it down, saved the excess and swapped it out into new phone 4.

It did not do data or phone calls. Albeit it didn't say "no sim" when rebooted. I turned off wifi and nothing worked.

It did however show one bar with no Carrier logo, but couldn't make anything operate. I downloaded some things from Cydia to help unlock like ultraslow but it didn't operate. So then I got worried and tried to regain a connection with my old phone by putting sim back into it. Which took three times

After that I downloaded an apn changer and switched it to AT&T cingulair. But I haven't tried the sim swap again yet since it seemed as if it didn't work right away the last time i swapped it. It almost felt like I'd broken or jammed a sim contact when reinstalling in my original iPhone But luckily it worked on third reinsertion into my old iPhone original. Now I'm waiting until I can be shown how exactly to overcome the 3.10.01 barrier if that's what's holding me back

Any other suggestions. I thought maybe I wouldn't need and unlock if it was AT&T. But when my original phone was stolen AT&T did everything they could to prevent me from reinstalling my plan and new sim on my replacement 2g if as far as playing dumb or telling me it was wrong for me to have that plan or even that I was a loser because I didnt want their credit check and a new plan, I wanted my original one I'd had since 2007/2008 I eventually had to jailbreak and unlock just to reactivate with this sim to get where I'm at now with current iPhone orig. so I won't ask them for help cuz they want me off unlimited. And on a "proper" plan

Thanks

Ps baseband 3.10.01 iPhone 4 running 4.2.1

From orig iPhone running 3.1.2

Thanks

Restore the phone using iTunes with the SIM in it, either with a stock firmware or made firmware using pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze (make sure to not click activate). See if that helps.

If it doesn't, then make sure your other phones works with the SIM (you'll need an adapter since you cut it down to MicroSIM size). Because if no other phone works with your SIM, then it sounds like your SIM might be a goner.

Keep us updated.

Thanks

Didn't see reply. Great so I swapped prepaid sim back to 2g using my excess of sim I cut to restore my orig iPhone. So sim is working right now in it.

My iPhone 4 4.2.1 3.10.01 is wifi only. Jailbroken with greenpoisen and redsnow. Unsure about APNs or client lists or all that. I have a gevey on the way but unsure if that's what I need. Downloaded ultrasnow but didn't help.

In hoping I could cut my sim and swap it out straight away... Your saying I should restore with my sim from go phone 2g? Or saying I need iPhone 4 original sim to restore? Then what else. I'm pretty smart but I need a serious babysitter with this technical stuff.

Thanks

In hoping I could cut my sim and swap it out straight away... Your saying I should restore with my sim from go phone 2g? Or saying I need iPhone 4 original sim to restore? Then what else. I'm pretty smart but I need a serious babysitter with this technical stuff.
    You need to restore the I4 with the SIM from your original 2G. If iTunes tells you the SIM is incompatible with the phone, then something's wrong with the phone or it needs unlocking (likely the latter).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    You need to restore the I4 with the SIM from your original 2G. If iTunes tells you the SIM is incompatible with the phone, then something's wrong with the phone or it needs unlocking (likely the latter).
    By restore you mean from my previous 2g backup. Or restore to factory settings because it wants to upgrade me to 4.3.2, When I tell it factory reset. So I haven't. I have used shsh it To save the settings on here

I've also got a gevey sim today and I used my 2g sim with it in iPhone 4. I got it to Dial and say AT&T. With bars and service, yay. But it didn't give me data. Not sure about mms or FaceTime. So I put it back in 2g phone until I figure it out definitely

Unsure about apn and carrier sets. I did download a open carrier list from Cydia

Thanks

By restore you mean from my previous 2g backup. Or restore to factory settings because it wants to upgrade me to 4.3.2, When I tell it factory reset. So I haven't. I have used shsh it To save the settings on here

I've also got a gevey sim today and I used my 2g sim with it in iPhone 4. I got it to Dial and say AT&T. With bars and service, yay. But it didn't give me data. Not sure about mms or FaceTime. So I put it back in 2g phone until I figure it out definitely

Unsure about apn and carrier sets. I did download a open carrier list from Cydia
    I was saying to restore to factory settings.

Hmm... so w/ the gevey SIM you have it able to call out and get a signal, but no data...
    Do you still get working Visual VoiceMail? What does it say on Settings--->General--->About--->Carrier?

Have you tried resetting network settings? Settings--->General---->Reset--->Reset Network Settings. Also make sure no Profiles are installed in Settings--->General.

There's APN editors in Cydia (the most popular of late is TetherMe). That should be able to help tweak the APN settings for data... but...
    Here's what's confusing: you said you have the PYP iPhone plan, but the newer iPhone's default APN settings aren't working... they are the same across all iPhone plans and devices (as of iOS 3.0). Unless someone at AT&T screwed something up on their end with your old SIM or you somehow disabled data on your own, you should already be getting data to work once the SIM started working in the newer iPhone.

You didn't disable data by using the 'fake APN' post at the start of this topic OR by Settings--->General--->Network--->Cellular Data, did you?
    Make sure both Cellular Data an Data Roaming is turned on on the i4.

Thanks

Ok so I factory restored which upped it to 4.3.2. But I did save my blobs. IShshit then emailed em to myself.

Then I put my sim in and activated and restored from backup with prepaid sim inside. It worked to some degree. I got signal and bars but no data. Then I went in and took out fake.apn. And then data worked. Texts too. but no FaceTime. FaceTime failure. I read that there is original text message package Fromm att that is different then iPhone messaging. They say if its not The latter then i get FaceTime failed error.

With everything turned on. It never got passed go. But if it's just FaceTime I'm missing I can live without it.

Visual voicemail works.

Unsure about 3G since my plan uses edge only on pick your plan.

Still figuring out the rest. Thanks for help

Thanks

If anyone knows a FaceTime fix for this situation I'd be interested

Thanks
    Make sure your on Wi-Fi update to 4.3.2 (you can jailbreak it im doing it right now) it has some facetime fix's also make sure the emai/phone number your calling is correct. if it's not it will say that.

Thanks

Great. Greenpoisen? Newest version. ? Or redsnow for this particular deal?

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast