+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone GoPhone

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by lilwhiskey does it need to be an locked iphone or an unlocked iphone Locked to AT&T or unlocked, since you are using the phone on the same
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lilwhiskey View Post
    does it need to be an locked iphone or an unlocked iphone
    Locked to AT&T or unlocked, since you are using the phone on the same AT&T network and GSM bands as a contracted account it will work!

Quote Originally Posted by dberns View Post
    I would like to understand the instructions for the 3gs iPhone. I have a gophone account sim and have had it for some time and it works only for talk and text but NOT data--it never has and I would love to know how to make this work.

I have attempted to sign up for a pay as you go data plan but that is not allowed on the iPhone- one of the big issues I have with AT&T--why does it matter to them-it's still DATA and you're still paying for it but they just won't add it.

I did purchase a GoPhone but never activated it. I simply put my current gophone sim that I have been using in my iPhone in the new gophone I purchase and it works for talk-text and data surfing the web. BUT when I place that sim back in my iPhone, no data.

I have reset the network settings, run the APN changer, turned on 3G, Cellular data and roaming but it will not allow me to surf the web or get email using my iPhone. I did a power cycle on the phone but data will still not work as you have stated in the above settings that it does work for you.

Please tell me how you set this up on the iPhone 3Gs--I can't get it to work. I do not have a data plan but remember, the gophone sim in the iPhone allows me to have data if I place it in the GoPhone I purchased--so that sim is not prevented from data usage.

Any assistance you can give me would be much appreciated as I have read in this forum that others have somehow gotten this to work AFTER they purchased a DATA plan. But remember they know if you have a smartphone from the IMEI and will NOT sell you a datplan--so what is the work-around please?

Thanks so very much for any comments and feedback!
    Call AT&T tell them you just got a "Samsung SGH-A597" from ebay and want XXXmb of data for $XX remove the APN settings from your phone completely, Tell them to refresh your settings, they will ask you to restart your phone please do so. After that test the internet and see if it works it should work completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Esmore09 View Post
    I have a 3g iphone update os to os5 and It is pay as you go 2$ a day and ive been trying to get
    my data to work ive try unlock.co.nz It installed it but each time i open a website it wont open up and gives me and error any idea how to fix this?
    Best idea is go to the $50 a month plan for unlimited talk and texting (Says data also but thats for non smartphones) add your amount of data and use stock APN settings (Remove unlock.co.nz apn changer) and go from there, if that does not work try what i recommended to the above poster.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

here is my situation: i've been on gophone for YEARS. I have the grandfathered $20 unlimited interenet with NO data cap that i've used in everything from blackberrys to att tilts to phones i had imported from overseas all with ZERO problems. just got an iphone 4 from craisglist that has never been unlocked or jailbroken. i've been hesitant to get ANY iphone for fear they would detect me having an iphone and delete my data plan since you cant have an iphone on gophone and definitely not with that data plan. the Modern firmware is 04.11.08 and Version 5.0.1 (9A405). my question is will i be able to use this phone with my data plan as i've been with all my other phones??? Or will they detect me having an iphone and tar and feather me? i value the data plan more than the phone. any suggestions???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Help
    I think I followed your instructions about using the GoPhone for the iPhone, but I cannot get past the "Invalid SIM" message and the main screen keeps asking me to insert a SIM card without a PIN lock. What do I do?

Just for background information, here is what I did.

1. Bought a used iPhone 3G 16 GB from a friend.
    2. Bought a cheap $10 AT&T GoPhone from BestBuy
    3. I activated the SIM card from the new GoPhone online using the SIM card number and the IMEI number for the phone.
    4. I bought a minute and data plan online and received my new phone number.

At this point I cannot don anything with the iPhone. Any assistance is appreciated.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The two steps I bolded seems to tell me that your SIM is locked down to the cheap phone and can't be used on the iPhone whatsoever:
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Larry View Post
    I think I followed your instructions about using the GoPhone for the iPhone, but I cannot get past the "Invalid SIM" message and the main screen keeps asking me to insert a SIM card without a PIN lock. What do I do?

Just for background information, here is what I did.

1. Bought a used iPhone 3G 16 GB from a friend.
    2. Bought a cheap $10 AT&T GoPhone from BestBuy
    3. I activated the SIM card from the new GoPhone online using the SIM card number and the IMEI number for the phone.

4. I bought a minute and data plan online and received my new phone number.

At this point I cannot don anything with the iPhone. Any assistance is appreciated.
    This new caveat is mentioned in a post I made earlier in this topic (quoted below):
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    So the SIM works in the GoPhone but not your iPhone... Sounds to me like your SIM is one of the locked-down orange GoPhone SIMs. Those won't work in anything but the device it came with for a period of time...

I'd try to get to a store to look into a replacement (don't get another GoPhone SIM, but a blue-white at&t one) and use that. Or wait until the lockdown is done, which might be anywhere from 30-90 days.
    SO that's your options, either wait, try to to get a replacement SIM (not a orange-white 'GoPhone' SIM, but a regular blue-white '3G'/blue-orange-white 'bubbled'/'4G' SIM) or start fresh with a new non-GoPhone SIM and account online or in-store.

Also, restore the iPhone with a stock firmware and activate it with a non-GoPhone-labelled SIM via iTunes before you do any tweaks even to APNs, cause that will help you determine if the phone is working correctly and is a US-GSM or unlocked iPhone.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Identifying cheap GoPhones
    I'm going to be doing this for my son with my old 3gs. I want to actually buy the GoPhone, so that if they ever do find out he's using an iPhone I have the original goPhone to reactivate. After reading the thread it seems that there are some GoPhones that come with orange Sim Cards that won't work in iPhones. Any way to identify which have the Orange sim without breaking open the packaging?

**edit**
    Or, can you purchase the goPhone > install your iPhone sim card in the goPhone > activate the goPhone with the iPhone sim > then swap the sim back to the iPhone?
    Last edited by utagol4; 12-22-2011 at 11:28 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Im new to iphones and i just got a at&t iphone 4model a1332 firmware04.10.10 . I went to walmart and got a $15 gophone cut down the sima nd activated it i can call text and receive and send pics but no data at all. can some one please clear up how to get data to work for me. i tried the apn change on unlockit and it didnt work but there is 4 dif at&t to pick from on unlokit. what one do i pick
    Last edited by johnny420; 12-25-2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: mest up

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Data isn't free. You either buy it from the AT&T gophone mall or not have any.

Thanks

Gophone charges 100mb for 20$ or some ridiculous price like that. Thank God for free wifi

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnny420 View Post
    Im new to iphones and i just got a at&t iphone 4model a1332 firmware04.10.10 . I went to walmart and got a $15 gophone cut down the sima nd activated it i can call text and receive and send pics but no data at all. can some one please clear up how to get data to work for me. i tried the apn change on unlockit and it didnt work but there is 4 dif at&t to pick from on unlokit. what one do i pick
    Did the same thing myself. I used the wap.cingular profile on unlockit.co.nz and data works perfectly for me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loudest_silence1 View Post
    Did the same thing myself. I used the wap.cingular profile on unlockit.co.nz and data works perfectly for me.
    when i went to unlockit there were 4 at&ts to choose from what one did you use?Thank you every body for the reply

Green Apple
    Thanks

when i went to unlockit there were 4 at&ts to choose from what one did you use?Thank you every body for the reply
    On unlockit.co.nz, choose carrier, scroll down to AT&T (wap.cingular). That is the profile you need for gophone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

On unlockit.co.nz, choose carrier, scroll down to AT&T (wap.cingular). That is the profile you need for gophone.
    thank you sir.does my phone have to be unlocked or jail?im stupid when it comes to this stuff

Green Apple
    Thanks

thank you sir.does my phone have to be unlocked or jail?im stupid when it comes to this stuff
    We were all stupid about this stuff at one point or another. We weren't born with this knowledge. Nope, you don't have to be jailbroken or anything to do this as long as you have an AT&T iPhone. goPhone is AT&T, they just don't like to admit that you can do this. I have set up several iPhones like this and I always do this before jail breaking.

Be warned that you will have to pay for a separate data plan, as the data that comes with the plan does not apply to smart phones. Personally I do $25 for 250 voice minutes(which I rarely use), and unlimited texting, and then get the $25/2GB data plan.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

We were all stupid about this stuff at one point or another. We weren't born with this knowledge. Nope, you don't have to be jailbroken or anything to do this as long as you have an AT&T iPhone. goPhone is AT&T, they just don't like to admit that you can do this. I have set up several iPhones like this and I always do this before jail breaking.

Be warned that you will have to pay for a separate data plan, as the data that comes with the plan does not apply to smart phones. Personally I do $25 for 250 voice minutes(which I rarely use), and unlimited texting, and then get the $25/2GB data plan.

ok so the 50 unlimited is useless.can i switch to the $25 and unlimited text on the same sim or do i need a dif one.if so do i just call at&t and ask to switch plans. i thought once u went on unlockit you dont have to pay for data

Green Apple
    Thanks

$50 plan would have unlimited talk and text, but data requires a separate plan since the iPhone is a smart phone. The unlockit profile makes 3G work properly on the iPhone. IIRC mms and websurfing are a no-go without it. You have to pay for data no matter what tho.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

last question i got everything working.can i upgrade to the 5.0.1 version with my sim in ?are there any precations i should worry about

Green Apple
    Thanks

last question i got everything working.can i upgrade to the 5.0.1 version with my sim in ?are there any precations i should worry about
    shouldn't be a problem. I'm on 5.0.1.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok i bought an iphone 4, it was updated to 5.0.1 and when i got home i hactivated it and jailbroke it. no unlock yet so i went and got a gophone. i have tried 5 different sim cards and several different posts about fixing my issue with no luck. my iphone always says no service. i thought there might be a problem inside the iphone with the antenae or something but im to scared to take it apart myself. can someone please help me? i have changed the apn also btw.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default data issue
    So, I have an old iPhone 3gs. I went to AT&T and purchased a prepaid sim card with the $25 a month 250 minutes/unlimited text plan. Calls and texting are working perfectly. I then called AT&T and added on the $25 500mb plan. I told them I have a Samsung Eternity II, but when I asked them to refresh my settings the operator didn't know what I was talking about. So I tried it anyways and my data is not working. I reset my phone and still nothing. It just says "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service." Do I need to do the APN unlock or is there something else I'm missing?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Last edited by antirazor; 01-22-2012 at 03:55 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I recently purchased two ATT iPhone 3GS off craigslist. And, two orange sims off eBay. Both iPhone's have been activated on ATT's GoPhone minute service and have a small data plan. I used unlockit.co.nz to create and change the APN to
    ATT wap.cingular. One phone can access data, the other can not. I have tried various APN's on the one that does not work. And, I have tried various 'fixes' recommended on the internet. No luck.

So, to learn more, I exchanged the two sims to see if the problem was with one of the iPhones. The 'no data' access problem followed the sim...indicating to me that both iPhones were ok.

The question is what should I do now? Keep trying various APN's, get a new sim, or try some other idea?