+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2g iphone with prepaid go phone service

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello, I'm new to this site and actually just found it today (never any need until now). Anyways, My brother gave me his old iphone 2g (has the silver metal
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 2g iphone with prepaid go phone service
    Hello,
    I'm new to this site and actually just found it today (never any need until now). Anyways, My brother gave me his old iphone 2g (has the silver metal back) that he didn't use anymore. It is just a de-activated iphone so it still has the original sim card in it and I'm able to power it on and use the wifi, get apps(using wifi) and my wife uses it as an ipod.

I've done some research to see what all is possible with these on the net and here and found that it is possible to make the iphones work on the go-phone pre-paid network.

Can I just try to re-activate the sim card that is in the phone as a pre-paid plane or do I need to buy a new one and if so which type of sim card so I need to get.

I also saw on one of the post that if you activate a new sim card that you have to do a random IMEI # How would I go about doing that. I've never had anything associated with AT&T so I don't have a phone I can pull that from.

Any help or step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

I know this has been asked a lot but I just wanna be sure this will work before I go through the trouble

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1adamo12 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm new to this site and actually just found it today (never any need until now). Anyways, My brother gave me his old iphone 2g (has the silver metal back) that he didn't use anymore. It is just a de-activated iphone so it still has the original sim card in it and I'm able to power it on and use the wifi, get apps(using wifi) and my wife uses it as an ipod.

I've done some research to see what all is possible with these on the net and here and found that it is possible to make the iphones work on the go-phone pre-paid network.

Can I just try to re-activate the sim card that is in the phone as a pre-paid plane or do I need to buy a new one and if so which type of sim card so I need to get.

I also saw on one of the post that if you activate a new sim card that you have to do a random IMEI # How would I go about doing that. I've never had anything associated with AT&T so I don't have a phone I can pull that from.

Any help or step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

I know this has been asked a lot but I just wanna be sure this will work before I go through the trouble
    Use that imei # and activate the sim u get online I'll try to get the page for that or another thing is you can buy a prepaid att sim card on eBay like I did it already comes activated and with a number on your area I both one for my iPhone 4 and the guy activated it for me and sent it to me all you have to do is when you receive the sim dial *611 on the phone and choose the amount of credit or go online a buy credit if you want the eBay guy user I'll give it to u in ur inbox just tell me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2g iphone with prepaid go phone service-imageuploadedbymodmyi.jpg  

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is how you will get the sim already activated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2g iphone with prepaid go phone service-imageuploadedbymodmyi.jpg  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

Using a fake imei or even one that isn't yours is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by STRAYunINFIDEL View Post
    Using a fake imei or even one that isn't yours is illegal
    No if they activated for you it isn't like they did for me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

Yes it is if you do not own it it's illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That would be great if you can send me over that guy's user on ebay. I do have another question though. I've been looking at the difference between AT&T and T-Mobile and T-Mobile seems to have the better pre-paid deals so what would I have to do to us a T-Mobile sim card and pre-paid plan.

Coverage is about the same with both in my area.

Green Apple
    Thanks

That would be great if you can send me over that guy's user on ebay. I do have another question though. I've been looking at the difference between AT&T and T-Mobile and T-Mobile seems to have the better pre-paid deals so what would I have to do to us a T-Mobile sim card and pre-paid plan.

Your iPhone needs to be unlocked to be on t mobile

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone-214 View Post
    Your iPhone needs to be unlocked to be on t mobile
    It is very simple to do compared to any 3G model.

Find an older version of pwnagetool or redsn0w that's compatible with the 2G, Blackra1n (if you're on 3.1.2) or Spirit (if you're on 3.1.3) and jailbreak.
    Once you do that, search for BootNeuter on Cydia (or Google for instructions if BN's not available on Cydia anymore). That's all you'll need to do to get it unlocked.

Then go to a T-Mobile store and set up a prepaid plan. It may cost about $10 for a prepaid SIM kit, but you may get lucky.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Alright, I need some serious help or maybe I'm just an idiot.

So I decided to go with the T-Mobile prepaid plan and got a prepaid sim card from ebay for like $6 plus free shipping. anyways, I received it in the mail yesterday and decided that I was going to try to jailbreak and unlock my iphone Here is what I did.(unsuccessfully)

I downloaded Spirit(since i have 3.1.3 version) That part was pretty easy. then I found that it installed cydia. I opened cydia and searched for bootneuter and installed. everything looked good so I took out the old sim card and put in the T-mobile sim (which I thought I had activated) and when I put it in I got the "detected new sim please activate with itunes" and the emergency call screen so I took the sim back out and put the old in and it started working again.

So I did some more searching and found another method using RedSn0w and downloaded the files needed to do that and started doing it step by step and it downloaded everything and rebooted and it loaded up again it automatically went to bootneuter and and adjusted the settings and then rebooted again.

When it turned back on it got stuck in the apple load screen and would completely boot up again. so I turned it off a couple of times and tried to reload again and would just get stuck in the same screen.

So I did another search and found how to restore it from that screen and was able to restore it back to the original factory settings so now I need your help to tell me what I did wrong and what I need to do to get this done.

I hope this makes sense and someone can help me. I restored the phone back to the original settings and have the original at&t card in so I can use it for wifi.

Thanks