+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: goodbye at&t legacy plan :(

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Just got the notice about the at&t legacy plans. It seems they are going to stop supporting us in May 2011. Might try my luck and see if they are
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default goodbye at&t legacy plan :(
    Just got the notice about the at&t legacy plans. It seems they are going to stop supporting us in May 2011. Might try my luck and see if they are truly going to throw the switch. My days of needed an unlock maybe coming to an end. Good and bad. I might have to think about switching carriers. I get a discount on Verizon. If I decide to keep my plan as is it will go up 50%. I know there are those folks that say at&t has no obligation to support the old system but I like the simple unlimited mmodes and phone service. I don't need anything else. Now I am depressed.....

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Legacy plan meaning our grandfathered unlimited data? God i hope that doesn't end.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Bummer. That's a rip. Well I don't have it anyway so whatever but still, sucks for anyone who has it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I am on the AT&T Blue plan (before cingular). I have unlimited mmodes(24.99) on my unlocked iphone 3GS and my wife's unlocked iphone 4. Nights and Weekends starting at 7. Unlimited incoming texts. So now, a customer for 8 years, I have to get a new plan. So that means a 25%+ bill increase with less service. I wouldn't mind upgrading I just want something comparable to what I have. I guess they are finally going to shut down the authentication servers. Oh well.

Also, I really don't like how AT&T is being dishonest with their customers. This isn't a technical issue this is a business decision. My iphones are more than capable of running on their system. All they would need to do is switch us over to the other side and issue new sims. I think this would save them countless hours on the phone with people and the frustration. We will have to see how this plays out.

Thanks

That's why I just switched to VZW an hour ago. They refused to give me an unlimited data plan regardless of how I said I would switch to VZW, they just said oh ok you want to cancel? Let's set that up for you. I'm surprised at the lack of desire to keep customers. On T-Mobile they kept asking if I'm sure and why in canceling.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    That is what I am afraid of. I have 2 iphones on unlimited mmodes. From the sounds of it I might be losing unlimited data. I am going to wait and see how this goes. It is basically a staring match now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

You should be able to have unlimited data even if they force you onto a current plan.

I ran into a problem with a recent accout transfer, and they messed up and lost an unlimited data plan. After being told by a manager that the unlimited plan was no longer in the system, and couldn't be re-added even if they wanted too, i randomly got a message a week or two later saying it had been reviewed, and was being reinstated on the new account.

If you run into trouble I'd definitely email that president's office address. As an 8 year customer, you have a good argument for getting on the unlimited data plan if you're willing to pay the price for it. Remind them that there's an active discussion going on online about this specific account.

It sucks feeling like you'll have to move to Verizon knowing that AT&T has faster service (if you've got good coverage). Supposedly Vz is getting rid of the unlimited too at some point in the future, but who knows. Good luck arguing with them. Remember that AT&T has the worst customer service satisfaction among the major carriers. If you can get a discount switching I'd really consider that too. My family currently has 2 AT&T iPhones, and 2 Verizon phones( out of necessity due to poor local AT&T coverage). With the new ViPhones, we could save money by switching the 2 over to Verizon, and almost certainly would have had they not restored the data plan. Even so, it's iffy. $120-160 for 2 phones on AT&T vs $60-80 for +2 phones on a Verizon family account is a hard sell for me. The faster service and voice + data helps, but still. Also remember even with the Verizon iPhones, AT&T iPhone 4s are still selling for like 400-$450 on Ebay which pretty much covers the cost of an EFT and a new CDMA model.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to krosis For This Useful Post:

dunkin1 (03-04-2011)

Thanks

I am noticing the slower speeds with Verizon but I actually get reception everywhere now. I am glad I passed up the data+voice and faster 3G speeds for Verizon bc in the long run, I actually get to use the services. What good is faster 3G when you can't access it? That's just me.

I sold 2 of my iPhone 4's locally (wanted cash fast, eBay you can still get $100-$200 more like my friends did) for $1050. My ETF was $530.

Verizon has an online deal now, no activation fees and free overnight shipping. So paid for 2 new iPhones for $399.98 plus tax. So it's $425+$530=$955

As you can see, I have $1050, I actually made $95 by switching

I'm just saying if you want to switch, now is a good time. If not, it's ok to stay with AT&T too. I admit the 3G is pretty fast but I just can't stand to pay $45 for data that i use monthly (that's 4GB and that's me being minimal too) when I can pay $30 for more than 4GB if need be.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I haven't really had a chance to look into anything. I am not in a rush at the moment. I am going to hold on till the end. One advantage to the change is that I will no longer require an unlock. I will see what Verizon has to offer and what at&t is offering once I decide. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have 2 iPhone 4's and 1 3GS, so I am not worried about the contract cost of the CDMA phone they should more than cover the cost.

Thanks

It is likely to be grandfathered in for current users. If it isn't, Verizon would have to cut off unlimited for every single one of their customers or they'll be facing problems. They're doing what AT&T did, AT&T just lasted longer with the unlimited plan.

Thanks

It's just a rumor this thread. Apparently AT&T is allowing people to grandfather their unlimited iPad data plans to switch to the new iPad 2. So I would imagine they're not ready to pull the plug on grandfathered plans altogether.

Thanks

Right I didn't say AT&T was going to pull the unlimited data plan. I said it looks like they're not going to because they are allowing users to transfer their unlimited data from their iPads to the iPad 2.

And yes it is confirmed Verizon is going to end their unlimited data as that was already made known to iPhone users upon release of the iPhone. I was just saying Verizon will likely grandfather it in like AT&T is.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Sorry if I confused anyone. I am currently a AT&T (notice the uppercase) "blue" customer. This the company that was before Cingular that is no longer in operation. Cingular acquired this company with merger. The current at&t mobility (notice the lowercase) is a totally different entity that maintains the old authentication servers of AT&T wireless. Cingular (at&t) has pretty much crippled the old AT&T system so that all that works is phone, text, and data. None of the perks that are on the Cingular (at&t)side work with this system. So now they have gotten tired of maintaining the old system, which is two different systems, and want to consolidate it into one system. This isn't an issue, but for many it is going to increase their bill 20%-40% depending on their current plan with less minutes. There is a whole debate going on that Cingular (at&t) doesn't owe the old AT&T loyal customers anything and they should have to pay what new customers have to pay. This has been discussed well beyond what needed to be in other places so I won't do it here.

I am going to wait it out until at least April and go from there.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dunkin1 View Post
    I am going to wait it out until at least April and go from there.
    AT&T has extended the turn off date for voice and data to August 31, 2011. But they will turn of texting on April 30.

There is a long thread on this at Service Termination May 15th 2011 - Old Blue AT&T Customer

You can see what some customers have been able to extract from AT&T before they switch. Bonus minutes, unlimited data, mobile to any mobile for unqualified plans, cash incentives, etc.