+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My Son Is Stationed Overseas help :)

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
My son is stationed in England He just arrived on sunday,,I need help on what is best way for his mom to talk to him,,i spoke with att they said
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default My Son Is Stationed Overseas help :)
    My son is stationed in England He just arrived on sunday,,I need help on what is best way for his mom to talk to him,,i spoke with att they said add world traveler plan ( of course more money ) he told me its expensive in england for unlocked phones and sim cards im tryin to figure out in this world of technology how to talk to our son. im asking you genius's here because the assholes at att suck,,i do not have phone here to jailbreak ,,,is there any thing we can do,,? thank you all
    Knuckhead 52
    its a dam shame that all the money we spend on everything else you cant even communicate with your son while they are serving our country !!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,171 Posts

I'm sorry to hear, but not suprized that AT&T won't help you in any way. I have over 25k in roll-over minutes I would love to donate to you, if AT&T would ever allow it.
    The best bet is to buy and unlock a phone here and send it to him. He would still need cell service over in the UK. I'm not sure of the best options. Maybe VOIP

Thanks
    Thanked 9,620 Times in 5,899 Posts

Or Skype????

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

buy 2 4th gen ipods ,send him 1 then for the price of internet service not only can she talk to him she can see him with Facetime . I think this will be the least costly way .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I agree with Bo, Skype. All you need are two computers with webcams, Internet access, and Skype itself

My cousin Skype calls his dad all the time in Taiwan from the US, they can even do it for quick calls without a webcam. So you can just do calls too without video.

Edit: if he can't always be at a computer or have wifi, then yes you might get an iPhone and jailbreak and unlock it. Then any SIM will work. Although his international rates will still suck. Then maybe he should find a plan with data and use that to Skype with the iPhone to you.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 02-15-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Skype is how I keep in contact with friends and family all over the world, really. Free app, costs nothing, just need a web cam and they are real cheap too if his computer doesn't already have one.

Thanks

Wheres he stationed at in the UK? I work as part of the flight crew on a USAF C-130 and will be at Mildenhall in a few days and can help him out if he is in that area. You can PM me if you don't want his information on the forum.

On another note, is he already has an iphone 4, he should be able to use it on wi-fi and use the skype app.

Please let me know if i can help!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

WiFi + Facetime or Skype

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Skype is the way to go

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 808 Posts

skype for sure

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I wish I could donate my minutes too

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

WOW,,thank You All-Broomhead
    blkcadi
    Dawg11
    i.Annie
    TristianLyons1022
    StealthBravo
    DevouredDreams
    Right now i have been paying for his plan,aprox 100.00 a month while hbe was in boot camp and school,,but now because i am disable and we had to close our family business after 5 years tyhings are very hard,,as well as it is for others,,so Im trying to find the cheapest way,,after talking to you nice people not only has it helped me but it opened my eyes to how much people care,,for that I THANK YOU ALL ,I weill keep everyone informed on status he is in England Stationed At RAF Mildenhall for the next two years I doubt If I can afford to go visit him,,but with your help im sure we can communicate with our son,,thanks again. !

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I hope the best for you, your family, and your son of course. Hope you find the most affordable method to communicate with him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,171 Posts

+1
    Our thoughts are with you and your family. Thank you for the sacrifice your family is making for our country. May god bless you and all the families of our troops.

Oh and one last thing. Post some pics of that 52 knucklehead you have.
    Last edited by Broomhead; 02-16-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

broomhead I had sold one of the things i loved my knuckle ridgid frame when i got married,,but im searching my photos,,as soon as i find them,i will post them.

here is update from our son in the Uk A member here tristianlyons,,is on way to the same base as our son,,which is very ironic,,when this member arrives help will be given to our son ! ty tristian !
    he texted me that he purchased a blackberry from another person on the way back to the states,,i do not know if he got it working etc,,i thank you all for your support,,and feel with all the crap going on in this world,,people still are willing to help...so thank you all !
    Last edited by Knucklehead52; 02-21-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

We thank your family for his service and sacrifice. I know it can take a toll. May I know your sons name so I may include him in my prayers please?

Skype FTW. Costs nothing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Am1st class Joseph J Cyr
    RAF Mildenhall uk
    And thank you

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

U guys could try tango also it's like skype

Thanks

@broomhead. I'm not surprised either. Their service sucks. (especially the data part).