+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS with GoPhone Question

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi, I'm considering switching to ATT prepaid from a T-mobile contract, and I have a few questions: Can I do a legit activation with the gophone SIM or do I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3GS with GoPhone Question
    Hi, I'm considering switching to ATT prepaid from a T-mobile contract, and I have a few questions:

Can I do a legit activation with the gophone SIM or do I need to jailbreak/unlock?

If I get unlimited messaging but no data, is there a way to block data so I don't get charged for it, but still have working MMS?

I'm on a 3GS 3.1.3 btw, thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 808 Posts

My buddy has go phone and he activated the iphone with it, and you cant get charged for the data it wont allow it to connect, but with the new go phone sims if its the orange one youll be locked to the phone you buy for 6 months

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Also, if you come across any issues, you might want a non-iPhone to have the SIM in if/when you talk to a CS rep. CS reps won't help you if you are using an iPhone on a GoPhone plan.

Like DevouredDeams said, avoid the orange SIMs with the lockdown. It's a good idea to have a different phone (not from a prepaid kit) and buy/activate a blue-white SIM at an at&t store. This should allow you to avoid the 6 month lockdown.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks
    The newer gophone sims are locked. However, you can call CS (from a different phone line of course) an give em a little tale about a bad phone and you need to put the sim card in a different phone and voila. Unlocked sim for another phone. But yes. As a fresh new gophone activation, it will work w/out jb/ul. As far as mms goes, idk. I have a data plan. Sorry there.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have an iPhone 3GS 4.3.1 jailbroken and unlocked and I have a gophone sim card already activated but when I put the sim in the iPhone just don't work(no service) what can I do..???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miguemetal View Post
    I have an iPhone 3GS 4.3.1 jailbroken and unlocked and I have a gophone sim card already activated but when I put the sim in the iPhone just don't work(no service) what can I do..???
    You might need to get a new sim card for this to work. That is what I had to do with my old 3GS. If you don't want to pay AT&T $25 for a new sim, you can pick one up on eBay for around $5. Before you do this, though, try putting your 3GS in airplane mode for a few seconds then go back to 3G and see if that gets your signal back again.

Thanks
    Sounds like an unlock issue. I had the same thing. Leave the phone on. Pop out sim tray. When it says 'No Sim' just push the sim back in. Should work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I went to AT&T and told them that my sim is just not working and they gave a new one...so I'm good to go now...thanks for the help guys..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miguemetal View Post
    I went to AT&T and told them that my sim is just not working and they gave a new one...so I'm good to go now...thanks for the help guys..
    Good to hear that a new sim card was all that you needed. It worked with my 3GS too....

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi