+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Getting AT&T Unlimited Data?

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I signed up for AT&T Service 12/10. No commitment since I had bought my iPhone 4 with no contract. 2GB was fine with me (I was using about 300MB per
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Getting AT&T Unlimited Data?
    I signed up for AT&T Service 12/10. No commitment since I had bought my iPhone 4 with no contract.

2GB was fine with me (I was using about 300MB per month), but with my new job, I will frequently need to VNC/RDP into multiple servers while on the go, along with sometimes tethering my laptop with MyWi.

With the release of the Verizon iPhone, would it be beneficial for me to call and say I am considering switching to Verizon to get Unlimited Data and see if they will add it?

Or will they tell me to go pound sand and have fun with Verizon?

I have no intentions of switching, as GSM is needed for when I travel to Canada (Pop in a Rogers SIM, and I save a bundle)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,876 Times in 2,215 Posts

Never hurts to try it
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

Update!

Called AT&T. After speaking to 2 reps, I asked for the retentions dept (customer relations is the AT&T name apparently) since unlimited data cannot be added to any account.

The CSR at "Customer Relations" politely informed me that Verizon users can't talk and use data. I explained that it didn't matter. She brought up that I normally use ~500MB/month, and do not need unlimited. My response was "I need it for a new job that requires me to remote into servers while on the go, and it'll quickly eat data".

In the end, she offered free unlimited text for 6 months, and said unlimited data is not available for anyone who doesn't currently have it. I took the 6 months free texting, and I'm wishing I could get unlimited data.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    log onto your account and look at features see if you have the enterprise option, that is unlimited

but its $45

If you use more then 2gb and go over they give you 1mb for $10 more
    so its 3gb for $35
    another 1gb its then additional 10
    so its $45 for 4 GB

the unlimited is capped at 5GB

honestly this can work 3gb is a lot
    Im throwing a major b u l l s h i t flag, at least on the "unlimited is capped at 5GB"

Im currently doing some training away from home and MyWi has been my only source of internet for almost a full year now. I have been exceeding 20Gb/mo and have seen absolutely no extra charges, a text asking me to chill out with data, or a phone call from AT&T's techs. I even hit 153Gb's last October while FTP'ing all my music from my desktop at home to my new laptop where I am now. Granted, i did that in small chunks, and only at night, but still. If you do not believe me, i will gladly post screenshots of my bill and usage from any month you would like.

Please don't post something that you do not know for sure, it really does other users no good to get bad information that will cause them to make a change in their cellular plan that could end up costing them hundreds of dollars a year.

As for getting Unlimited data, just activate with an iPhone 2g/original (its only eligible for the $20 unlimited EDGE plan), and after a week or so, change the line back to your new iphone and it will automatically kick over to the $30 unlimited 3G plan. I help people jailbreak their phones all the time, and have personally seen that this method works because i often get asked about a way to "hack" a iPhone so that it doesnt register its data usage with the network. I explain that this is impossible, and then tell people about this method. I have seen it work in the last two weeks twice.
    Last edited by TristianLyons1022; 02-20-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TristianLyons1022 View Post
    Im throwing a major b u l l s h i t flag, at least on the "unlimited is capped at 5GB"

Im currently doing some training away from home and MyWi has been my only source of internet for almost a full year now. I have been exceeding 20Gb/mo and have seen absolutely no extra charges, a text asking me to chill out with data, or a phone call from AT&T's techs. I even hit 153Gb's last October while FTP'ing all my music from my desktop at home to my new laptop where I am now. Granted, i did that in small chunks, and only at night, but still. If you do not believe me, i will gladly post screenshots of my bill and usage from any month you would like.

Please don't post something that you do not know for sure, it really does other users no good to get bad information that will cause them to make a change in their cellular plan that could end up costing them hundreds of dollars a year.

As for getting Unlimited data, just activate with an iPhone 2g/original (its only eligible for the $20 unlimited EDGE plan), and after a week or so, change the line back to your new iphone and it will automatically kick over to the $30 unlimited 3G plan. I help people jailbreak their phones all the time, and have personally seen that this method works because i often get asked about a way to "hack" a iPhone so that it doesnt register its data usage with the network. I explain that this is impossible, and then tell people about this method. I have seen it work in the last two weeks twice.
    I'd be interested in seeing screenshots (not that I doubt you, I doubt that AT&T's towers could handle that much without blowing up)

My main concern is that right now I have no contract, and want to remain that way. I'm unsure if activating a 2G iPhone (I can borrow my friend's) will sign me up for a 2 year contract when activating it.

Thanks

You should be able to tell AT&T that you are swapping from your new iPhone back to the 2G, and at that point the network will put you on the $20 edge plan. After that when you swap back to the new iPhone, it will go to the $30 3G unlimited.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TristianLyons1022 View Post

Don't mind him. He often speaks about stuff he doesn't know. I wish people would think before they posted.

Twitter: @tshoults

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shadow25 View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing screenshots (not that I doubt you, I doubt that AT&T's towers could handle that much without blowing up)

My main concern is that right now I have no contract, and want to remain that way. I'm unsure if activating a 2G iPhone (I can borrow my friend's) will sign me up for a 2 year contract when activating it.
    AT&T won't upgrade your contract unless you want a new equipment at special price, you can change your equipment and rate plan at any moment... I used to work with AT&T for 5 years

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bradeimos View Post
    AT&T won't upgrade your contract unless you want a new equipment at special price, you can change your equipment and rate plan at any moment... I used to work with AT&T for 5 years
    Incorrect!

When I signed up with AT&T under a "No Contract" plan, I asked the store rep to add my corporate discount (23% off). It generated a message to my work email (to verify I was eligible for the discount), and I just had to click the verify button.

Now, after asking the rep multiple times, it added a 2 year contract when I verified. I raised hell for the next 2 weeks afterwards, apparently to get my corporate FAN discount, I needed to have a contract. They reversed the contract, I lost my discount, but I am no contract.

2 year contract wasn't worth saving $15-$20 a month

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shadow25 View Post
    Incorrect!

When I signed up with AT&T under a "No Contract" plan, I asked the store rep to add my corporate discount (23% off). It generated a message to my work email (to verify I was eligible for the discount), and I just had to click the verify button.

Now, after asking the rep multiple times, it added a 2 year contract when I verified. I raised hell for the next 2 weeks afterwards, apparently to get my corporate FAN discount, I needed to have a contract. They reversed the contract, I lost my discount, but I am no contract.

2 year contract wasn't worth saving $15-$20 a month
    Hey about what you said I wanted to get a line with AT&T and they said I have to pay $500 dollars to open a line with them. I already have the iPhone 4 I'm gonna use so why to I have to pay $500 ??

Green Apple
    Thanks

u know wat bro, i went through the same hassle. I have an iphone 4 and i got the whole 500 dollar deposit thing aswell. The deposit is just incase u rack up an INSANE amount of overage charges on ur phone. U r able to redeem it whenever you want to by cutting ur line off with them or waiting the 12 month period of *good behavior* to get it back.

Thanks

Yeah, I had to pay a $500 deposit.

I called to add another line to my plan, and I either have to wait 3 months (After 6 months, they go based on your payment history) or I'd have to put $500 deposit for that line.