+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My new iphone4 4.2.1

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have had my iPhone since it's release date. I had to work so asked my ol'lady if she would wait the line for me. She did and here I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default My new iphone4 4.2.1
    I have had my iPhone since it's release date. I had to work so asked my ol'lady if she would wait the line for me. She did and here I am. I have unlimited data plan threw AT&T and really want to be able to make my own mobile hot spot. Is this possible and are there negative reactions to the jailbreaking process. I watched a you tube video and it seems simple enough. Can someone help.....

Thanks
    Thanked 15,045 Times in 6,932 Posts

It's pretty simple but if you do it on 4.2.1 it will be a tethered jailbreak. You may want to hold off for a untethered one to come out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Tethered meaning I hook my USB from fone to computer and break that way. Is Cydia the actual process that beaks the fone and allows you to access more apps

Thanks
    Thanked 15,045 Times in 6,932 Posts

Tethered as in every time you reboot you will need to run redsnow again to boot the phone up.

Thanks

Keep in mind that you are current grandfathered in with unlimited data, they don't offer this anymore so if you make slightest change like creating hotspot they will force you to choose new or current tiered data plans

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dbellca82 For This Useful Post:

Deadleg (01-16-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I often wonder if I should switch my service to verizon and just be dine with this whole AT&T thing. The seem to be ahead in the game and AT&T seems lime they are forcing people to spend more money with nothing to offer for it. I've been with AT&T for 6 years now and finally get into the iPhone click and now it like they are falling off the map

Thanks

Honestly Verizon & ATT are constantly copying each other with something , especially plans ANC features. Verizon will have tired data like ATT. Verizon's network isn't all it claims to be, for example in my area ATT works great Data and all, and Verizon not at all but 1 bar, and I'm in a more remote area. The whole 4G & LTE is overinflated hype for both companies. Easiest way to create hotspot is wait until untethered jailbreak is out, then its simple & you bypass ATT completely even when using the feature. I had tethering setup on 3G and could be on laptop in internet while on interstate hooked into either 3G or Edge. That's what I wound do, JB and move around not involve ATT at all which is much easier & better anyways.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

The verizon iPhone can't use data and talk at the same time.

Thanks

You don't want tethered, stay far far away, lol. Seriously, for example what if you are out somewhere & likely you don't have your laptop or Desktop handy & your iPhone reboots? Well you my friend are then screwed hoping you didn't need it for anything important. I am of course speaking of Jailbreak here which is tethered only.

After untethered JB, you can tether your iPhone to act like a modem either using wifi by creating ad-hoc network or USB tethered to PC, using PDANet for example, which I setup where iPhone 3G served as wireless network or router basically and created ad-hoc network on PC, linked it up wireless and bam Internet access on PC @ 70 on freeway or wherever

Thanks

You can't talk & use Data on ATT either at the same tine unless you are on 3G or wifi, but if creating hotspot you likely aren't going to be using both voice & data at same time

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That makes alot of sense. Thanx much for the insight. How often do you think updates come out like untethered jailbreak

Thanks

Well, to be honest every iPhone except for the iPhone 4 running iOS 4.2 is already able to be jailbroke untethered using something such as RedSn0w & Stock .IPSW file. The iPhone 4 on latest FW hasn't had a actual untethered released yet probally because Verizon is about to enter market & new 4.3 beta is out meaning dev team won't want to give Apple the chance to plug exploit and continue the tit for tat back and forth.

The most up to date & reliable information about iPhone & Jailbreaking is found over at the dev teams website, just google dev team. This is the official unofficial jailbreak & unlock HQ. Don't be fooled by all knock offs out there, dev team have been ones who developed or provided significant support & effort for all previous and future JB/Unlocks. I would just monitor their site maybe setup RSS feed keep you up to date.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deadleg View Post
    I have had my iPhone since it's release date. I had to work so asked my ol'lady if she would wait the line for me. She did and here I am. I have unlimited data plan threw AT&T and really want to be able to make my own mobile hot spot. Is this possible and are there negative reactions to the jailbreaking process. I watched a you tube video and it seems simple enough. Can someone help.....
    You should be able to see if you have shsh blobs with tiny umbrella and roll your firmware back to 4.1. I had to replace my phone with a new phone from apple and it worked just fine. Then buy mywi off Cydia

iPhone? More like MyPhone ab6324's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Tethered as in every time you reboot you will need to run redsnow again to boot the phone up.
    How do you know if it's tethered or not?

Thanks

The jailbreaking software will tell you if it is tethered (for redsn0w, there is an option to boot your device tethered) after jailbreaking. Otherwise, you will have to read the dev's blogs to see if it is tethered.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!