+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What you need to know about not being able to upgrade

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Why cant I upgrade with Att for the 199 -299 pricing. Common reason people think they should be able too. 1 i pay a million billion dollars month for there
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,874 Times in 2,213 Posts

Default What you need to know about not being able to upgrade
    Why cant I upgrade with Att for the 199 -299 pricing.
    Common reason people think they should be able too.
    1 i pay a million billion dollars month for there service
    2 i have been with them a long time
    3 I have a one year warranty on the phone so that meanss i should be able to get one when the warranty runs out.

Well here is the deal you signed a 2 year contract when choosing to get your phone for the cheaper pricing.
    Att has to make there money back unlike most other carriers that sell the iphone they cut the price so you have an option not to pay the ridicules 599-699 price like you do every where else.( Yes the phones every where else are unlocked this that or what ever but you have that option to buy over seas as well).
    So by putting you in a contract they make there money back and you don't go any where.
    Att does allow early upgrades for the 399-499 pricing which i think is fair you only have to be in contract 6 months to get that option.
    Apple is the one with the warranty part of it not Att. But most phones solid at any retailer the warranty is only for a year anyways thats why they give you an insurance option or apple care.
    your not paying a million billion dollars for one line i guarantee that. You probably have multiple lines on that account. So if your an add on line your line views as a 25-40 dollar a month line meaning you probably wont reach upgrade till 18-22 months in your contract. You main line that carries the rate plan will be the one that will upgrade first because that line is producing the most profit for the company. The main line usually upgrades with in 12-18 months of service meaning they almost can always upgrade with in a year of owning the phone.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

iPhone? More like MyPhone ab6324's Avatar
    Thanks

My 2-year contract with AT&T expires on August 8, 2011. I dialed *NEW# to check my upgrade eligibility and immediately received the following text message: "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and waive the $18 upgrade fee." I can buy an 8GB 3GS for $49.99, a 16GB iPhone 4 for $199.99, or a 32GB iPhone 4 for $299.99. I would have to renew my contract for another 2-year term, but let's not forget about that $18.00 discount!... My point is, you do not have to pay $399.99+ for an early upgrade within 6 months of your contract ending. That would not be "fair" since I received that message 8 months prior to my contract's expiration date. For those doubting my ability to count, I received the text message from AT&T last month.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ab6324 View Post
    My 2-year contract with AT&T expires on August 8, 2011. I dialed *NEW# to check my upgrade eligibility and immediately received the following text message: "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and waive the $18 upgrade fee." I can buy an 8GB 3GS for $49.99, a 16GB iPhone 4 for $199.99, or a 32GB iPhone 4 for $299.99. I would have to renew my contract for another 2-year term, but let's not forget about that $18.00 discount!... My point is, you do not have to pay $399.99+ for an early upgrade within 6 months of your contract ending. That would not be "fair" since I received that message 8 months prior to my contract's expiration date. For those doubting my ability to count, I received the text message from AT&T last month.
    Like I said it depends on your plan and length left in your contract

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

If "like I said" refers back to your previous statement, "Att does allow early upgrades for the 399-499 pricing which i think is fair you only have to be in contract 6 months to get that option," then I'll assume you're admitting you were completely wrong... You don't still work for AT&T, do you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ab6324 View Post
    If "like I said" refers back to your previous statement, "Att does allow early upgrades for the 399-499 pricing which i think is fair you only have to be in contract 6 months to get that option," then I'll assume you're admitting you were completely wrong... You don't still work for AT&T, do you?
    No I am not wrong I worked for AT&T for 2 years and will be back on again Thursday. Your post makes no sense I can't tell if your agreeing or arguing me

Thanks

I am stating you only have to have tour contract 6 months to get the early upgrade option so let's say you signed you contract on 1-1-11 that means you can get the phones at 399-499 on 6-1-11. Not 6 months till the end of the contract.

Thanks

That's actually 5 months, but I appreciate you helping me understand you better. Do you by any chance know when the early upgrade (18-months prior to contract end date) is supposed to transition into a "regular" upgrade?

Thanks

It depends on your monthly service and such so its a little hard to tell. but usually when you have 6 months left ( on your 18th month) you will see the change for exception upgrade to standard upgrade