+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Prevent ATT from adding data plan to iPhone 3g

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
My 10 year old son wanted an iPod touch for his birthday.... I decided I'd kill a few birds with a single stone. My wife had been using my jailbroken
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Prevent ATT from adding data plan to iPhone 3g
    My 10 year old son wanted an iPod touch for his birthday.... I decided I'd kill a few birds with a single stone. My wife had been using my jailbroken 3g and I had a jailbroken 3gs. I took the opportunity to upgrade myself to the iPhone 4 and pass the 3gs to my wife which in effect made her 3g available.

So, for his birthday I gave my son the 3g to use as an iTouch. Shortly after that, we figured we'd put the sim card from his cheap phone into the 3g so he wouldn't have to carry two phones. He connected through wifi any time he wanted to anything from the app store but was able to text and talk on it using our family plan minutes, etc....

Then I noticed ATT added a data plan to it..... I called for them to remove it and they did but the lady said that it will just get added back on again since all smart phones with ATT require a data plan. I pleaded my case that it's a 4+year old device that has long since been paid for and that I don't want it having any access to data. I obviously got nowhere with her.

So, to my question.... Is there any way to modify anything on the device so that ATT doesn't know it's an iPhone or is there any key phrase to use when talking to them to get them to simply lock it out of data completely and not add a data plan to it???

As it is, my household is already paying for 3 data plans.... I don't really need a 4th.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Not really possible man they are going to flag it every sweep.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Green Apple
    Thanks

that sucks.... I hoped some of the geniuses here ahd figured a way around that...

Thanks

Probably won't happen unless some one an make the sim read the phone differently which is illegal.

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Same happened and I would suggest you leave AT&T for your son. Tmobile won't force a data plan on you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They sweep by the IMEI the tower reads from the phone, so long as the iPhone broadcasts an iPhone IMEI they will force a data plan. Doesnt matter who is using the phone, how old it is, or if you are in contract or not, they said they would when you started service, its in the wireless service agreement, which is not the contract but the document telling you what exactly you can expect and every customer agrees to, contract or prepaid, commitment or no-commitment.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    add a data block on the phone pop the sim into the phone, if he doesnt want mms, then do that

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Data block not compatible with any smartphone IMEI, this solution is a non-solution in that it doesnt work.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vartra View Post
    Data block not compatible with any smartphone IMEI, this solution is a non-solution in that it doesnt work.
    Interesting that at&t put their foot down and blocked smartphone IMEIs from disabling data...

I'm wondering if he could put the data block on the line while the SIM is in the dumbphone, then SIM swap... just a stretch but might be worth looking into.

Technically, yes there is nothing stopping at&t from forcing a data plan due to the wireless service agreement. The only option other than trying the above (and if it's unsuccessful) is to go prepaid on his line or port it out to another GSM carrier.
    H2O wireless is a decent iPhone-compatible MVNO and is considered M2M for your other phones calling.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They put their foot down on that a while ago, when I was a CSR they were terminating anyone that even offered to put a data block on a smartphone. This is not what I left for, but I know of at least three people that were terminated for it. As far as using the dumbphone and switching, that will only work as long as the SIM is in the dumbphone, the instant it goes into the iPhone and connects to the network you are on borrowed time before a data plan is auto-added again. Also, for almost two years now iPhone has not been compatible with AT&T's prepaid service unless you had standing prepaid service kept in good standing with the iPhone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

The only way to do this is if you have a smartphone exception feature on your account. Any accounts activated/upgraded after Feb 2010 will not have this.

As previously stated .. the AT&T CSR will be terminated if they add this feature, so it's not even worth asking for.
    My latest theme - -

Thanks

They put their foot down on that a while ago, when I was a CSR they were terminating anyone that even offered to put a data block on a smartphone. This is not what I left for, but I know of at least three people that were terminated for it. As far as using the dumbphone and switching, that will only work as long as the SIM is in the dumbphone, the instant it goes into the iPhone and connects to the network you are on borrowed time before a data plan is auto-added again. Also, for almost two years now iPhone has not been compatible with AT&T's prepaid service unless you had standing prepaid service kept in good standing with the iPhone.
    So, no go on the SIM-swap idea...

Yes, I do know about the prepaid service 'incompatiblility,' as I had Pick Your Plan Service activated by iTunes with a 2G up until a year ago (and they only stopped PYP 2G iPhone activations on iTunes back in September of last year, so it hasn't really been two years, just saying). It's sad that Pick Your Plan went the way of the... uhh... unlimited data plans. at&t really did kill a good idea by neglect, look at T-Mobile's equivalent FlexPay and how it flourished in recent years.

But, I digress....

Going beyond the CSR side of things, GoPhone or any at&t MNVO (s.a. h2o and AirVoice) will work just fine on a locked US iPhone. This has been known since the 2G was 'hacktivated' for the first time and at&t hasn't truly blocked its use other than APN changes instated with the release of iOS 3.0 to keep people from trying to use prepaid data (which obviously has failed because of CommCenter patches and mobileconfigs).
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, let me put it this way, I was a prepaid CSR for AT&T from may of 2008 to january of 2009 when it was all moved out of the borders for prepaid CSRs, in july of 2008 they told us no more iPhones could be activated as prepaid phones and I havent heard anything different up until I got out of that business. I became a postpaid CSR on february 1st of 2009 and remained one til late july of this year.

Thanks

Ok, let me put it this way, I was a prepaid CSR for AT&T from may of 2008 to january of 2009 when it was all moved out of the borders for prepaid CSRs, in july of 2008 they told us no more iPhones could be activated as prepaid phones and I havent heard anything different up until I got out of that business. I became a postpaid CSR on february 1st of 2009 and remained one til late july of this year.
    Let ME put it this way:
    I activated my iPhone 2G under PYP in April of 2009. I actually will prove it in the following attachment:
    Screenshot of my email detailing that I successfully started my prepaid account and needed to fill my account before I could use my phone. It also showed my phone number, as was customary for iTunes activations to do for new accounts.

Stop claiming iPhone activations died earlier than 2009. It was clearly NOT TRUE.

ADDENDUM: I'm not saying you weren't told that activations were halted back in '08... but there's reports that iTunes activations halted in June 09, not July 08 as you claim. (pimpoet is also a CSR, BTW).
    That said, OP:
    Any at&t SIM will work in most newer iPhones out-of-the-box. The only exceptions are Tracfone/Net10 and some Straight Talk SIMs (reports on HowardForums are starting to claim that some at&t-version Straight Talk SIMs are starting to work on non-ST phones). If you don't want to pay the 'iPhone tax,' then your son's phone will have to be on prepaid to avoid it. That's all there is to it unfortunately.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prevent ATT from adding data plan to iPhone 3g-screen-shot-2010-12-17-12.22.04-am.png  
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 12-17-2010 at 12:10 AM. Reason: ADDENDUM
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Green Apple
    Thanks

If your son's simcard is not on contract ask AT&T to switch to prepaid.
    My kid is on prepaid $100 for 365 days, 10 cents a minute talk , 20cents text no data

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Because to USE AT&T service, with a contract or no, you absolutely must agree to the Wireless Service Agreement and it says no matter what all designated devices designated a smartphone requires a data plan.

Thanks

+1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the same problem with my kids iPhone because I live in niagara falls and canada is next to me I get charged Romeing charges from so I called them and they turned the data off my kids iPhone and put blocks on mine where I have to put in a password to use the data it helped my bill out a lot 4 iPhones and the bill is $89 a month with data on them

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm a littl lat, but if your still having problems using safari on the device visit

Unlockit.com.nz

Install the fake apn, and install the block data optioon. Your good to go.