+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ATT Bill for Mywi

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Depsite the claims that the mywi app is safe ATT has billed me for 5gbs of use for tethering without consent! I have the unlimited plan WTF??? My ativity was
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default ATT Bill for Mywi
    Depsite the claims that the mywi app is safe ATT has billed me for 5gbs of use for tethering without consent! I have the unlimited plan WTF??? My ativity was strictly email and browsing! Some video of youtube but I know for sure I didnt use 5gbs where did that come from!!!!

Luckly it is my first month of ever using mywi. The representative has granted me options in terminating or paying the excesive fee! This sucks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ive been using MyWi for a long time now...never ran into this problem...sorry to hear about that

Thanks

I've never been charged either.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

That's weird, it shouldn't be billed. I've never seen this happen especially on an unlimited data plan. They must've been investigating your account :/

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

When u use a lot of data they get suspicious, but technically they have no way of proving that u were using mywi, they just assume it since ur using so much data. Just call them and argue that u didn't tether and you were downloading files and watching videos on ur iPhone. Be an angry customer and see what happens.

Thanks

^ that's true. They have no way if knowing what that data was used for. When I called to ask how I accumulated 160MB in one day, they said they don't know -.-

Clearly they didn't bother to tell me it was for 3 days worth of use rather than 1 day, which some idiot female rep told me. Had to get a male rep to get it straight. Stupid girls, making us girls look bad/dumb.

Thanks

I hope i never get charge, last month I use 16gb, and this my month I already use 14gb and I have 12 days to end the billing cycle..

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I havent been charged either

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    When u use a lot of data they get suspicious, but technically they have no way of proving that u were using mywi, they just assume it since ur using so much data. Just call them and argue that u didn't tether and you were downloading files and watching videos on ur iPhone. Be an angry customer and see what happens.
    Are you sure they can't see if they bother investigating? I'm thinking the data that for example the browser sends, it's different from a regular browser on a computer. Also the computer ID might be viewable by them somehow.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Thanks

I always end up using 21gb a month or better and never got charged...but I haz the argument ready for when they try
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Are you sure they can't see if they bother investigating? I'm thinking the data that for example the browser sends, it's different from a regular browser on a computer. Also the computer ID might be viewable by them somehow.
    The data from the computer gets sent to mywi and then mywi sends it to AT&T so they will never directly see the computers ip address since mywi doesn't send that information. As for the browser, I think the only way they can see that is if they monitor each and every web page that is visited, but I'm pretty sure we have a privacy policy against that =D

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Doesn't iPhone track your data usage in the Settings app?

Thanks

If you are using MYWI then you have an argument! Your data plan is unlimited and I would ask to speak with a manager because you are covered. They just see how much data was used. It doesnt show if you are tethering. Do not let them corner you with threats!!! Also look at bill and make sure it doesn't show that they added a tethering plan without your consent. The tethering plan is only for 2gb worth of data and they can get you for overages if that was the data plan.
    There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.~Peter F. Drucker

Green Apple
    Thanks

How can I get unlimited data on AT&T, pretty sure I can't cause I'm new...
    Last edited by Nelly998; 10-22-2010 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Spell

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nelly998 View Post
    How can I get unlimited data on AT&T, pretty sure I can't cause I'm new...
    you cant anymore...thats only for old customers who had it from before. New customers cant get it now...unless someone transfers their plan onto you

Thanks

You can get unlimited data if you get an old 1st generation iPhone and activate it on your account then go into the store and change the imei to the newer iPhone. The 1st generation is on the old iPhone data plans for $20 that are unlimited. Once its on your account it will give the option for unlimited data. You have to activate the 1st gen on your personal computer in itunes. Hope it helps!
    There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.~Peter F. Drucker

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajones330 View Post
    You can get unlimited data if you get an old 1st generation iPhone and activate it on your account then go into the store and change the imei to the newer iPhone. The 1st generation is on the old iPhone data plans for $20 that are unlimited. Once its on your account it will give the option for unlimited data. You have to activate the 1st gen on your personal computer in itunes. Hope it helps!
    That's illegal.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    That's illegal.
    The question was asked and I gave an answer! Not illegal, just a loop hole they have not figured out yet.

Thanks

Um no...it's illegal to change IMEI numbers on phones. That's not a loophole, that's a crime not just for iPhones but for any wireless device.

Why do you think it's not safe to give out your device's IMEI number? Cuz people can take it and slap it onto their own device and use YOUR service that YOU are paying for. And oh yes, there are people out there who do that. You end up racking up charges not just from your personal use but from those hackers out there. You can run two or more devices on one line just by changing the IMEI to other devices to your IMEI that your phone has. That's why it's illegal. It doesn't matter if you use that method to your own benefit, it's still an illegal act.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 10-25-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

This is what I am saying. If you walk into an at&t and say hey I want to put my old 3gs or new iPhone 4 on my account they will say let me see the phone and get the iphone's imei. Then put the device on "Your" account, I'm not saying go and illegally break into their system and do the stuff yourself. If you feel it is wrong then I understand your stance on this. Once again someone asked a question and I gave an answer. I'm not talking about doing anything that would involve you giving your imei number out to a complete stranger. If he or she has a old 1st gen iPhone and the person wants unlimited data through at&t then that is how it can be done.