+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does unlocking block transmission of phone type to the carrier?

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have an unlimited data plan through AT&T on a non-iPhone account (used with a run-of-the-mill Nokia). Sadly, I never got the memo about the whole no-more-unlimited-plans thing, so I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Does unlocking block transmission of phone type to the carrier?
    I have an unlimited data plan through AT&T on a non-iPhone account (used with a run-of-the-mill Nokia). Sadly, I never got the memo about the whole no-more-unlimited-plans thing, so I missed the window of opportunity to switch to an iPhone with unlimited data.

I used to have a (now broken) unlocked 2G iPhone that worked fine with the Nokia's card & unlimited plan, and AT&T was never the wiser - so I assumed that would work on any iPhone. I bought a used 3GS for that purpose, and right after I jailbroke the 3GS yesterday, I noticed I could already make calls before even doing the unlock... but AT&T caught it immediately and tried to force me to get an iPhone plan. I managed to talk my way out of it that one time by putting the card back in the Nokia and just playing dumb, but I'm sure I won't be able to pull that again.

Now I've gone ahead and unlocked the 3GS, but I don't know what about the 2G caused them not to catch the non-iPhone plan being used: whether it had to do with the 2G technology, the fact that it was unlocked, or maybe the fact that it was prior to them getting rid of the unlimited data option and they weren't checking as carefully - but I'm wondering if anybody knows if I'll be able to skate by unnoticed using that Nokia card with the unlocked 3GS.

Thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Wait is the nokia a smart phone that runs on edge?

if so when u put the sim card in the 3gs and make a few calls and what not it will mark the imei # to towers. You can check on at&t's website afterward if it gives you the option for the unlimited iphone data.

Thanks

no.

the IMEI is what is broadcasted and that is how they can tell what phone it is.