+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad plan in iPhone questions

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I successfully got the iPad Micro-SIM working in my iPhone 3GS, data works great! I plan on canceling my current phone plan with AT&T, and pretty much use Skype for
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default iPad plan in iPhone questions
    I successfully got the iPad Micro-SIM working in my iPhone 3GS, data works great! I plan on canceling my current phone plan with AT&T, and pretty much use Skype for everything, since $40/month sounds a lot better than $85. But I just had a couple questions that maybe someone can answer.

-Emergency calls. Legally all cell phones service or not should be able to contact emergency services. Is the iPad's data only SIM going to effect that at all? I suppose I can easily remove the SIM and do it that way. Since I never really had to make an emergency call with no service, do I just dial 911 (for example) and it will automatically connect to a Cell tower? Not quite sure how that works and I know Skype does not allow these kind of calls.

-I haven't had any experience with OS4, but does the OS automatically close inactive apps after a while? Since I will be using Skype as a replacement Phone/SMS app, I would rather this app not close. I know it's still in beta and Skype for OS4 isn't out yet, probably get more information on that tomorrow.

-What are the chances of the iPad Micro-SIM becoming unsupported after OS4 is out? I know its only changing APN settings, and this was working in the beta versions.

-I'm not qualified for an upgrade yet (not until April 11th, 2011), was it possible to get iPhone 4g without a new contract at a local Apple or AT&T store? I saw online that I can get a new 3GS for $400 with a "*" saying requires 2 year contract right now. This doesn't mean requires a new 2 year contract, correct? I assume iPhone 4g would be around that price too, I'd probably have to get this phone first before I cancel my service. Can anyone confirm this?

Of course, I wouldn'thave to worry about any of these questions being answered if I just decided to keep my current phone service. But cutting my bill in half sounds like it would be good in the end. I checked everywhere for answers for these questions, I couldn't find anything specifically, so I apoligize if any of these were asked on here before. I just want to make sure I don't lose any basic functions I don't normally use if I do this.

-Thank you!
    Brian

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Volerikan View Post
    -Emergency calls. Legally all cell phones service or not should be able to contact emergency services. Is the iPad's data only SIM going to effect that at all? I suppose I can easily remove the SIM and do it that way. Since I never really had to make an emergency call with no service, do I just dial 911 (for example) and it will automatically connect to a Cell tower? Not quite sure how that works and I know Skype does not allow these kind of calls.
    A quick call to 611 worked on the MicroSIM I activated on the iPad plan about 2 weeks ago. I'm fairly certain emergency calls will work too over that SIM if needed.

If all else fails, like you said, you could just remove the SIM. Yes, it will connect to an available GSM/UMTS tower and connect you to emergency services. This also goes for, say using the SIM while roaming on a non-ATT GSM network showing 'No Service.' Emergency calls should work as long as the phone's technical network (i.e. GSM or CDMA, etc) are available at the location you're calling from.

-What are the chances of the iPad Micro-SIM becoming unsupported after OS4 is out? I know its only changing APN settings, and this was working in the beta versions.
    It should continue to work by the changing of APN settings. I doubt AT&T will institute an APN change for these plans. However, there's no 100% guarantee this plan will work on a non-iPad all the time. That is solely AT&T's discretion to block access (who knows if they will, though).
    -I'm not qualified for an upgrade yet (not until April 11th, 2011), was it possible to get iPhone 4g without a new contract at a local Apple or AT&T store? I saw online that I can get a new 3GS for $400 with a "*" saying requires 2 year contract right now. This doesn't mean requires a new 2 year contract, correct? I assume iPhone 4g would be around that price too, I'd probably have to get this phone first before I cancel my service. Can anyone confirm this?
    The price you quoted falls under the 'not upgrade eligible customer/line' pricing which includes a new 2-year contract. Full price for a 3GS is at least $500, depending on Apple/AT&T offering the same discounted prices as WalMart.

If you're planning to cut your current cell phone plan, you're best off buying the phone at full price (maybe wait for someone on eBAy or Craigslist to sell one) and cut your service separately. Your ETF will be smaller doing that than buying the new one at a 'discount' with contract then canceling.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 06-06-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Cleared up content
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

Volerikan (06-06-2010)

Thanks

Thank you so much for clarifying everything for me! I guess I'm passing on the 4th gen iPhone for a while haha. But yeah, the emergency services was the big thing for me. Especially since Skype can't dial out to those.

It seems like you have some experience with the iPad-only data plan, how has that been for you (mainly Skype if you use that)? My main phone just recently billed me for another month so I have quite a while before I decide to cancel it.

Hopefully AT&T won't decide to block it someday, if they did, it would just give me another reason to switch to T-Mobile.

Anyway, thanks again!

If you're planning to cut your current cell phone plan, you're best off buying the phone at full price (maybe wait for someone on eBAy or Craigslist to sell one) and cut your service separately. Your ETF will be smaller doing that than buying the new one at a 'discount' with contract then canceling.
    That's true, especially with the new ETF fees starting. Right now it'll probably cost me about $120 to cancel it.
    Last edited by Volerikan; 06-06-2010 at 10:14 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yep, I also want to confirm that the 911 emergency call do work because I just tried it myself. Even though your micro sim only have a data plan, it do also have a telephone number, but without a voice plan. As long you have any connection, no matter if it is a data only or a voice only, you can always make a 911 call.

When talking about using Skype for voice replacement, you know it can suck sometime. It sucks because Skype will drain a hell lot of your battery, not to mention that also bleed at least 1.3 gb of your memory on idle alone every month, but you don't have to worry about that, you have unlimited data right? Well, I got an okay solution, it doesn't quite solve the problem but kind of. Go online and download Fring! The cool thing about Fring is that Skype is also included in the app. Just log onto Skype using Fring and you will be able to receive push notification on everything even when you are not always online. People can call you and you will get a push notification every time.

And as far as the iphone goes... It would be awesome to get a hand on a contract free iphone 4G, but it will be a couple hundred dollar more than the iphone 3GS is when it first come out. Why? Haven't you heard AT&T early termination fee increases from $175 to $325. Problem about this is that the people who wants to sell their iphone 4g without contract will have to pay $325 and of course they will also have to make you pay $199 for the phone itself.. and then the profit they are going to make selling the iphone 4g... 325+199+Profit= OVER $600(generously).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethanolic For This Useful Post:

Volerikan (06-07-2010)

Thanks

I actually use Skype and Fring. I have too many problems with Fring, always logs me out of Skype and then my password never works to get back on. But thank you for telling me about the 911 calling!

I have heard of the ETF, I thought that was only for newer contracts. Just because they can't change the terms on past ones. My contract still states $175 minus $5 per month of use I believe, so I might get off with $140?

I really want the iPhone 4, but I guess I can get that 2nd handed from Craig's List or eBay in the future.