+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: does IM messages count as Texting on 3g Network?

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
i have unlimited iphone 3g data plan with no TEXT messaging plan. i use Meboo,fring or ebuddy well mostly meboo only when on wi-fi.. when i go out i turn
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default does IM messages count as Texting on 3g Network?
    i have unlimited iphone 3g data plan with no TEXT messaging plan. i use Meboo,fring or ebuddy well mostly meboo only when on wi-fi.. when i go out i turn off my push notification.. and i was wondering.. what if i'll start chatting over 3g network am i gonna get charged? Because a year ago.. i was talking with ATT about high bill they said that sending im message using third party applications over data plan(3g) counts as texting...using wi-fi is free,, that was stupid so anyway i paid them and since that never used IM app on 3g Network.. maybe things changed and they charge im messages as data instead of text

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

If you use a non-iphone then the im apps on it count as text but with the iPhone I think they count towards data. Not 100% sure on that but would seem that way.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DanTheManMS's Avatar
    Thanks

I use AIM (and even use AIM's built-in feature to text friends) all the time and it does not contribute to my 200-per-month text limit. Outside of SMS, data is data, push notifications included.

Only issue with using AIM for texting people is that you have to start the convo, can't be the other way around. You may want to look into some of those "free texts" apps out there (TextNow, TextFree, etc) for something for people to initiate conversations with you. I've never tried any of these so I can't vouch for any of them, but it will all count as data, not SMS.