+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How can I edit the APN settings on iphone 3gs

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Here is the situation I have an iphone 3gs firmware 3.1.3 baseband 05.12.01. I am using a gophone sim card for the $60 dollar unlimited talk/text. Anyway my question is
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How can I edit the APN settings on iphone 3gs
    Here is the situation
    I have an iphone 3gs firmware 3.1.3 baseband 05.12.01. I am using a gophone sim card for the $60 dollar unlimited talk/text. Anyway my question is , Is there a way for me to edit the apn settings so i can use a prepaid data plan, its not a huge problem being on a campus with wifi all over, but i would like for those times the i am off campus, thank you

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Here's some options:

Find a site that makes mobileconfigs (benm.at is one of them), and use that for the means to edit your APN settings. Note: These aren't permanent, so if you restore your phone (or reset settings) you'll have to redo the mobileconfig procedure again.

You might be able to contact SteathBravo about getting a IPCC file made that will work for you. IPCC files are easy to reinstall post-restore (they can be installed using iTunes 'update' button), so IMHO that is a better option than using a mobileconfig.

Finally, you can also go into the AT&T carrier bundle (or IPCC) and edit its files to put in the right settings or enable APN editing. That takes a bit more effort as this requires use of SSH, plist editors, zip tools for IPCC files, and other related software.

Hope this helps.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

ldkstar (03-13-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you for the response, who is SteathBravo and how do I contact him
    thank you again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ldkstar View Post
    Thank you for the response, who is SteathBravo and how do I contact him
    thank you again
    StealthBravo is a mod on ModMyI's forums. You can search for his username and/or private message him.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

If I SSH into an IPhone where is the file located that I need to edit? I have an IPad SIM that I would like to use in an IPhone and use the data only. Or does anyone know where I can find a custom IPad IPCC file?

Thanks

The carrier bundle would be located in /System/Library/Carrier Bundles and ones installed by you (via iTunes) would be located at /var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundles
    The file to edit APNs is the carrier.plist file within the .bundle package.

NOTE: As for editing a default or using a non-default ipcc file, that will only work for 3.1.3 or below. 4.0 stock requires signed carrier bundles, and editing the preinstalled signed ones makes them not work. You might be able to get the iPad carrier bundle placed in there, but it may not work without jailbreaking via the most recent version of PwnageTool or redsn0w. Same is the case with all unofficial bundles (Stealth's at&t ipcc, Spooky's T-Mobile ipcc, etc); those require you to jailbreak before use.