+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does Activating an iPhone extend your contract?

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I was under the impression that when I activate my iPhone 2G through iTunes it only adds the data plan to your account, but someone told me that it also
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Unhappy Does Activating an iPhone extend your contract?
    I was under the impression that when I activate my iPhone 2G through iTunes it only adds the data plan to your account, but someone told me that it also extends your contract by 2 years... is that true?

Thanks

Only if you buy your phone thru AT&T. I bought my 2G off eBay then upgraded to the 3G with a contract 8 months later.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No.

Your contract is based on the hardware. You can switch plans anytime you want and I have done it multiple times between the Blackberry and iPhone plans. If you buy a iPhone at the subsidized pricing, then you extend your contact. If you buy one at retail or online, you are fine.

Thanks

iTunes doesn't change your plan with AT&T. When I hook my phone to iTunes it only communicates with apple servers. I have checked with 3 different iPhones 2g, 3g, and 3gs. Never did they communicate with AT&T only apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

When I bought my first iphone off e-bay, stuck my sim in, it said different sim detected and itunes redirected me to at&t to change my plan to an iphone plan. It didn't extend my contract though just made me change my plan.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwine View Post
    When I bought my first iphone off e-bay, stuck my sim in, it said different sim detected and itunes redirected me to at&t to change my plan to an iphone plan. It didn't extend my contract though just made me change my plan.

Thats correct and same thing I found. You need to be on the iPhone plan for the iphone/blackberry plan with a blackberry/etc.

You can even change your minutes/texting/etc on any phone and not extend your contract with ATT.