+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activate tethering in under a minute without jailbreak

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I am not responsible for anything you may **** up because you are stupid. This is for educational purposes only. 1. On your iPhone, go to help.BenM.at 2. Scroll to
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Activate tethering in under a minute without jailbreak
    I am not responsible for anything you may **** up because you are stupid. This is for educational purposes only.

1. On your iPhone, go to help.BenM.at

2. Scroll to your country (probably USA...)

3. Tap either ATT or T-Mobile

4. It will now exit out of Safari and go to some screen where you can tap "Install". Do so. Installation should take around 10 seconds.

5. After it is done installing hit done and then hit the home button. Before you try to enable Tethering, reboot your phone.

6. Now go into Settings > General > Network Settings > Tethering. Enable it.

7. Have fun

I did this on my 3GS and it works flawlessly. Voicemail, 3G connection, calls, everything still works.

Some pics:

Enjoy

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3.1 beta 2 AT&T profile
    This was a good profile for 3.0.

If your running 3.1 beta 2, teathering disappears as soon as you connect to the USB port.

Unfortunately I do not have a good laptop here with BT to try that. Anyone else have the same issue with this profile on 3.1 B2?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks worked great using iphone 3g(not s) with 3.0.
    was wondering if you knew the limit to the iphone data plan?
    and how would you suggest i use this with my pc cause im out of internet for 2 days but just plan on using for browsing until i get my regular internet fixed. im using it with my pc currently just wanted to know the do able and not do able stuff this can do and how can i tell if im reaching my data limit?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d3athrac3r View Post
    thanks worked great using iphone 3g(not s) with 3.0.
    was wondering if you knew the limit to the iphone data plan?
    and how would you suggest i use this with my pc cause im out of internet for 2 days but just plan on using for browsing until i get my regular internet fixed. im using it with my pc currently just wanted to know the do able and not do able stuff this can do and how can i tell if im reaching my data limit?
    I believe the data cap for at&t is 5gb. From what I know of you can check the current usage under General - > Usage - > and see how much data you've been using. It should update because your still using the 3G/Edge Network under the phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does anyone know if this is safe for iPhone 2G?
    ty

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedking261 View Post
    Does anyone know if this is safe for iPhone 2G?
    ty

Yep. Works on any iPhone as long as it's 3.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have an iPhone 2G on 3.0 and i just tested this. I downoalded it and rebooted, but i didnt see the tethering option in Settings > General > Network. so i rebooted again and still nothing. I also noticed that the cellular data in network had not changed...the downloaded file said the the APN settings were ANP- wap.cingular, Username wap@cingulargprs, and Password CINGULAR1. I even tried to manually change those (APN was right but username and password were both blank) and reboot. Still nothing

Any advice? Did I overlook something?

One more thing:
    I dialed 1 just to see if nonVVM works and it says "Error performing this request No Network Service". Is this normal? BTW VVM does work
    Last edited by speedking261; 07-19-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Addition

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I keep getting a "Restricted URL" notice window and cannot install the carrier file? Help!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

just curious.. i know they are gonna charge your bill in the future when tethering becomes a non-modded option on the iphone.. but for now is there any secret fees that att will slam u with on your bill for doing this

Thanks

It's against your TOS. So there they could charge you for each Kb, and/or charger you $60 for laptop connect on top of your $30 internet. So be careful. A wise idea: Do not torrent over tether...
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ +1

Tethering use should be limited

Green Apple
    Thanks

The ATT LG Incite has the PDA/Tethering data option an is about 60.00 per month, so that's the service I have been using on my 3GS for almost a month and a few days! the speed is real nice compare to my girls Unlimited data service. (right now some folks my be clocking around "0.58Mbps, but with the incite PDA/Tether service I'm getting 2.73Mbps on my 3GS, I know that soon ATT will charge for it! the same way they will do to MMS.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've only truly used tethering once when my connection went out for an hour or two and transferred like 60mbs playing WoW. As long as you don't transfer like 5gb a day or something crazy like that, you should be good.