9 34.62%
  • 25% or less

3 11.54%
  • Between 25% and 50%

6 23.08%
  • Between 50% and 75%

8 30.77%
+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone cellular service is HORRIBLE

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Okay here is my explanation. Like many, I own several phones. All my phones use AT&T service. When I use my Blackberry Bold the cellular service is phenomenal at home
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default iPhone cellular service is HORRIBLE
    Okay here is my explanation. Like many, I own several phones. All my phones use AT&T service. When I use my Blackberry Bold the cellular service is phenomenal at home and work. In those same areas when I am using the iPhone (3G or 3GS) the cellular service is about 50-75% worse.

Example: At work the Blackberry will show 3G data and 3 bars of service. In the exact same spot the iPhone will show Edge data with 1 bar of service. Another example at home, Blackberry will show 3G data and 5 bars of service. In the same spot the iPhone will show Edge/3G data with 1 bar and sometimes "searching" for service.

Could this be that the Blackberry has a far superior radio chip than the iPhone? I know it is not the AT&T service so it has to be the hardware or software on the iPhone. An no this is not a thread comparing the iPhone to the Blackberry as I love both phones. I just want to get an understanding on the horrible cellular service performance with the iPhone and if anyone else has noticed this.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Location Location Location!

That's att fault, but I'm glad you are able to recognized it!

Blackberry Data service is way far superior, even on a Storm 9500, way more secure world wide! but the only downfall is the price! Even with the 3GS no matter how fast! but if your are no a 3G dead zone! and blackberry is up! you loose!

I love my BB for buisness, becuase no matter how many apps the iphone has, they don't seem to carry a good business app. they claim that they have over 1 Billion of apps, yes is true! and 97% of it sucks! non related to real business!
    Last edited by gordo2150; 07-07-2009 at 04:44 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm.. odd.. but I've noticed great service from my iPhone. I almost rarely have less then 4 or 5 bars of 3G. But, now that I'm traveling around the UK, o2's service isn't as good as ATT (comparing o2;s service in the uk to att in the us). However, it really depends on your location.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Cell service is fine, plan price is HORRIBLE.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordo2150 View Post
    Location Location Location!

That's att fault, but I'm glad you are able to recognized it!

Blackberry Data service is way far superior, even on a Storm 9500, way more secure world wide! but the only downfall is the price! Even with the 3GS no matter how fast! but if your are no a 3G dead zone! and blackberry is up! you loose!

I love my BB for buisness, becuase no matter how many apps the iphone has, they don't seem to carry a good business app. they claim that they have over 1 Billion of apps, yes is true! and 97% of it sucks! non related to real business!
    Sorry if I caused some confusion but this is not AT&T's fault. As I stated I am using AT&T service for both the iPhone and the Blackberry so this cannot be AT&T and ONLY the physical device. I am actually using the same SIM card for both devices (at different times obviously). I am comparing cellular service (voice/data) for each device in the same location. The Blackberry receives a far better cellular signal than my iPhone.

Thanks

Funny, my 3GS destroys everything it's compared against on AT&T...

It beats Blackberrys, 2G iPhones, 3G iPhones; I've been real happy with the signal in basements/low-service areas, while those phones all have trouble finding service and getting good reception in the same places.
    Respect your elders.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Is the blackberry 3G? If so I'd do a comparison on EDGE for both.. iphones have always had 3G reception issues.

Thanks

Location +1

At home I have never had issues with eithe rmy 2G or 3G iphones. I had some issues with my 3G on 2.0.1 firmware I think it was, but only in large city areas.

I have noticed since upgrading to 3.0 , my wifi and my phone signal is not quite as strong as it was on 2.2.1. I also noticed on a recent trip to a rural area of upstate NY, I had no data connectivity on Edge where I have been able to connect in the past. I had the Edge icon but I could not connect until i shut off 3G completely. Very odd. Not wondering if it has something to do with the fact that I installed the ATT 5.0 carrier so I could teather. Not sure if that area I was in isnt some non ATT roaming area and maybe the not yet released carrier was not recognized. No matter, Im home now and all is well.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Thanks

I get great service almost every where i go, usually 5 bars, no less than 3. I live in the Atlanta metro, so it helps being in a major metro area.

I haven't noticed a signal difference since 3.0 came out for better or worse.
    If I helped you out in any way, hit the Thanks Button.

iPhone? More like TyPhone

Green Apple
    Thanks

UPDATE: I have solved this issue. I should have mentioned that I was using the Mophie Juice Pack Air battery pack/case. By removing this case my signal strength is right on par with the Blackberry.

If you want added battery life but do not care about reception (IPOD), get the Mophie Juice Pack Air. If you want to actually use your phone for a phone then do not get this product.

Thanks

Just restored and re-jailbroke with redsn0w and signal back to 5 bars. I had used Pwnage and a custom firmware last time and I also believe moding the carrier to 5.0 had a lot to do with my faulty signal.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had signal problems and took my phone in to the apple store. They replaced it saying it had a bad radio and my reception now is great everywhere I've been.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My signal with 3G on sometime not holding up in various areas, but when I turn off 3G, only use EDGE, i get 5 bars most of the time...
    iPhone 4 32GB. Jailbroken!

Thanks

Interestingly my son has issues with 3G on his motorola V3xx everytime a new iPhone model is released. Very strange....

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I thought that something may have been changing on my 3G S that I recently purchased since previously at work I was getting full coverage, but often times flopping back and forth between EDGE and 3G.

After I just jailbroke my officemate's 3G S, we both noticed that in our offices were were often times stuck in "Searching" and quite a few times were without service unless disabling 3G, in which case we would sit at 2-4 bars of EDGE service.

Does anyone know if jailbreaking can in any way influence the connection capibilities of the iphone?

Thanks

^It can, but your situation is pretty usual; I know when I'm in an area of low service and I turn my 3G off and leave it on EDGE the signal becomes much better.
    Respect your elders.

Green Apple
    Thanks

To my surprise my iPhone actually gets better service then my work phone which is a AT&T Motorola V365. I would have thought it was the other way around? I've actually made side by side test calls from low coverage areas and the iPhone had better signal and call quality every time. Also had many times when the Motorola lost signal completely but the iPhone could still make a call.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    ^It can, but your situation is pretty usual; I know when I'm in an area of low service and I turn my 3G off and leave it on EDGE the signal becomes much better.
    +1

Just spent the weekend in just such a place.