+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using AT&T sim from current phone in unlocked I-phone.

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I'm thinking about buying a used i-phone that has been unlocked and jailbroken. I was wondering if I use the sim from my current AT&T phone in the new i-phone:
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Using AT&T sim from current phone in unlocked I-phone.
    I'm thinking about buying a used i-phone that has been unlocked and jailbroken. I was wondering if I use the sim from my current AT&T phone in the new i-phone:

1. Will I need to use something like Independence to activate it or can I just throw it in and start making phone calls?

2. Will I be able to use online services with the current unlimited data plan that I have or will I have to get the i-phone data plan?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well if it's already unlocked and JB then it has been activated. So no, you don't need to activate it. You can also still use the unlimited data plan you have currently with it since it's been unlocked. Once a phone is unlocked, you can use any plan and any carrier that uses sim cards

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gary002 For This Useful Post:

BruceBonebrake (06-22-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone posrjak's Avatar
    Thanks

The only thing that probably won't work is visual voice mail.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to posrjak For This Useful Post:

BruceBonebrake (06-22-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I needed to know. Hopefully I'll be enjoying that phone very soon.

Thanks
    it would appear that the OP has received his answer, so I'll be semi-hijacking this thread in effort to not create a duplicate. I have the same question pretty much. My friend just ordered a 3Gs so he will sell me his 3G which is locked, not jailbroken and updated to 3.0. What should I do to use it on At&t with my current sim. Does anyone have experience using a different data plan from at&t other than the iphone specific one or do I even need a data plan? any input/info would be great. Thanks in advance.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

In order to unlock it you have to JailBreak it with RedSn0w. You can download redsn0w from blog.iPhone-dev.org. After it's done, go into cydia and install Ultrasn0w. If it's not in Cydia then you must add the "source" which can also be found on the site mentioned. Then just replace the sim card with the one you have and your done!

As far as a data plan goes... If you plan on using the iPhone's functions (aside from the SMS and Phone apps) only on wifi then you don't need one. If you EVER plan on using data on the cell network, I'd get a plan. It's rediculously expesive to pay as you go as far as data is concerned. You can use whatever data plan you want. My mom has an iPhone 2G that I unlocked for her and she's using it just fine with her $10 unlimited data plan. Which, by the way, wasn't there a month ago and I had to deal with a $354 data charge. Yes, it adds up that fast!!

Thanks
    great thanks. thats what i thought. Is Redsn0w the only way to jailbreak F/M 3.0 on a 3G? I remember reading that there are some issues with Redsn0w or has it been fixed already?

Thanks

i got a new iPhone 3GS and im giving my 2g iphone to my girlfriend. She has a blackjack 2 without a data plan and i used redsn0w to jailbreak and activate it but its not getting any service? Any suggestions? Thanks
    13" 2.9 GHz i7 MacBook Pro OSX Mountain Lion | 32gb iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1 JB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphoneraz View Post
    great thanks. thats what i thought. Is Redsn0w the only way to jailbreak F/M 3.0 on a 3G? I remember reading that there are some issues with Redsn0w or has it been fixed already?
    All of the issues are pretty much worked out in Redsn0w. There is another tool called Pwnage which is made by the same people. That's a Mac only tool. Either method will work though!

Quote Originally Posted by howlett15 View Post
    i got a new iPhone 3GS and im giving my 2g iphone to my girlfriend. She has a blackjack 2 without a data plan and i used redsn0w to jailbreak and activate it but its not getting any service? Any suggestions? Thanks
    1. Make sure you're using the right firmware in the first step. Should begin with "iPhone1,1" can be found here
    2. Make sure you selected the unlock option in Redsn0w
    3. Make sure you have the correct bootloader files. Can be found here
    4. Follow all steps above and in Redsn0w to the T
    5. Pop the sim card out of her BlackJack 2 and put it in the newly unlocked iPhone through the top of it

make sure you've done a clean restore before you attempt this for best results! Hope this all works out.
    Last edited by gary002; 06-25-2009 at 12:34 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gary002 View Post
    In order to unlock it you have to JailBreak it with RedSn0w. You can download redsn0w from blog.iPhone-dev.org. After it's done, go into cydia and install Ultrasn0w. If it's not in Cydia then you must add the "source" which can also be found on the site mentioned. Then just replace the sim card with the one you have and your done!

As far as a data plan goes... If you plan on using the iPhone's functions (aside from the SMS and Phone apps) only on wifi then you don't need one. If you EVER plan on using data on the cell network, I'd get a plan. It's rediculously expesive to pay as you go as far as data is concerned. You can use whatever data plan you want. My mom has an iPhone 2G that I unlocked for her and she's using it just fine with her $10 unlimited data plan. Which, by the way, wasn't there a month ago and I had to deal with a $354 data charge. Yes, it adds up that fast!!
    How did you get your 10 dollar data plan to work with iphone? I just bought an Iphone 3g and got it jailbroke and unlocked. I have ATT's unlimited data plan with my LG Xenon. I put my sim in the iphone from my xenon and I got zilch. It shows ATT and 3g network with full bars but I can't open anything on safari. How do I get this to work.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,527 Times in 5,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBonebrake View Post
    How did you get your 10 dollar data plan to work with iphone? I just bought an Iphone 3g and got it jailbroke and unlocked. I have ATT's unlimited data plan with my LG Xenon. I put my sim in the iphone from my xenon and I got zilch. It shows ATT and 3g network with full bars but I can't open anything on safari. How do I get this to work.
    The answer seems to be within this thread, you'll have to unlock your phone with ultrasn0w for it to work is what I read.

Thanks

There is no need to unlock on AT&T at all, no matter what data plan you are using. This sounds like a network settings issue than a need to unlock. Check your APN settings and try wap.Cingular and not phone APN. We have four(that I know for sure) 3g at work that the people are using the $10 data plan no problem. Also these phones are not unlocked but are jailbroken, I did them myself. Good luck.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBonebrake View Post
    With the release of iPhone OS 3.0, AT&T has been able to disable non iphone plans on unlocked phones. It has nothing to do with the unlock method used (although if you are unable to make and revieve calls/txts then use UltraSn0w.) AT&T basically just erases the network info on the phone so it can't access the internet.

Again had this issue with my moms phone but it's an easy fix! Go to "http://www.unlockit.co.nz/#_Custom" on your unlocked iPhone (using Mobile Safari), on wifi of course. The settings are case sensitive:

APN: wap.cingular
    Username: [email protected]
    Password: CINGULAR1

Choose "US-AT&T" in the drop down box and hit "Create Custom Profile." It will bring up a window that has a button for "Install" or something similar. Go ahead and install it. It will give a little spinning wheel in the corner while installing. Make sure you don't touch anything while it's going. Once It's been fully installed, REBOOT THE PHONE! If you don't, you may lose the settings. Just hold down the sleep/wake button and slide to power off. Once completely off, hold the button down again to turn on. The internet should be fully working! If the Internet stops working again (a firmware update, you manually reset setting etc.) just redo the steps and all will be well again!

I would also recommend logging into your AT&T account and manually changing your phone to the phone you originally had, for safe measure. Just go to "wireless.att.com" and click "myWireless Account." Log in, or sign up for an online account if you haven't done so already.

I really hope this is helpful. AT&T has been such a pain in everybody's butt this past year, it's ridiculous!
    Last edited by gary002; 08-01-2009 at 01:12 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gary002 For This Useful Post:

BruceBonebrake (08-01-2009)

Thanks

Has nothing to do with 3.0 because if that was the case then the 3 iPhones I have would not work. All mine are on 3.0 and I don't have any type of iPhone plan. Medianet all the way. Has nothing to do with 3.0 and more than likely your APN settings are wrong. I personally would enter the settings manually rather than going threw the Internet trusting they do it right. You do not need the username or password fields filled in, just leave them blank and make sure your carrier settings are set to APN wap.cingular on all three settings (data, voicemail, mms) and you should be good to go.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks man. That did the fix. I really appreciate it.

I changed the phone to the one I originally had on the ATT website but it keeps changing it back to the iphone. Am i doing something wrong?
    Last edited by BruceBonebrake; 08-01-2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

As long as you didn't call and register the iPhone to the account the online thing means nothing. Mine shows iPhone as well but my plans are still right that's all that matters.