+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can AT&T Charge You Per KB For Data On The "Wrong" Plan?

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
At work I support a lot of users with Blackberry phones so I decided to get one myself to play around with. I called up AT&T and had them change
    iPhone? More like MyPhone navalynt's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Can AT&T Charge You Per KB For Data On The "Wrong" Plan?
    At work I support a lot of users with Blackberry phones so I decided to get one myself to play around with. I called up AT&T and had them change my iPhone 3G data package to a Blackberry data package. The rep told me that if I used the SIM in the iPhone 3G again that I would be billed per kb for data usage. This is disturbing because I had planned to go back and forth as needed.

Is this information correct or just a scare tactic? If you are paying for a data package do they have any way of knowing which device is used and billing you if it's not the one on your account? I've heard of AT&T tracking the IMEI and changing the rate plan but never of billing per kb for a customer that already has unlimited data.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I went from iphone3g to blackberry also and would like to know. Otherwise I'll be screwed for using 3 full days of data!!!:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

They might charge you but you can dispute it and they will most likely take it off.

iPhone? More like MyPhone navalynt's Avatar
    Thanks

I would rather not have to go back and dispute charges. I know there are a few AT&T employees on the forums, hopefully one will see this thread and comment.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

in theory they could charge you per KB since you now have the blackberry plan on your account. if they find out youre using a different phone they can just change the plan without telling you. youd have to switch it back to an iphone plan every time you switch the sim to avoid that from happening.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

AT&T owns the network u'll be using and they will charge u by the KB. U cud get lucky and they might not notice for a couple of days.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ya people who change their plan to a non iPhone plan and have no valid excuse can be charged per KB. ATT really has the right to charge anyone who abuses the data network per KB if they wanted to becuase they do own it. They can charge you per KB for tethering too.

I haven't heard anyone who has been caught and charged for doing it tho but even using 2 phones on your plan that do not have the same features I have been told violates some policy they have. For example, if you have a iPhone and pay for an iPhone plan, you are technically not allowed to use your SIM in another phone for picture messaging.

In your case, BB data plans are usually looked at different than iPhones becuase of the "lack" of data features they have (email and WAP internet versus YouTube, AppStore, Streaming, iTunes, etc). Ideally, you want to stay on iPhone plans and then swap to the blackberry.

Last week AT&T created quite a ruckus for altering their ToS, but after the backlash they ultimately decided against it. Well, we may be looking at round 2 here.

This time a tipster has told TiPb that iPhone 3G owners in the Atlanta and Austin markets who are not currently provisioned with an iPhone 3G data plan will receive an SMS message advising them that an iPhone 3G rate plan will be added to their line of service. These customers will begin receiving SMS messages today and the plans will be provisioned on the evenings of April 8th and 9th. It appears that AT&T just tapped these two cities as a trial run, the rest of the country should start getting similar alerts on April 21st.

So what does all of this mean? There are a few possibilities, depending on your mobile situation:

* If you are using an iPhone 3G and you snuck in one of AT&T’s MediaNET data plans for $15 you will be forced on the $30 iPhone 3G data plan.
    * For those of you who share SIM cards between an iPhone and Blackberry while using a Blackberry data plan, well it may be a bit more troublesome. Since your BlackBerry requires a BlackBerry plan to work, you’ll need to make extra-double-sure you don’t get an alert and if you do, you will want to call up AT&T right away and explain that you’re a SIM-swapper and to leave your plan set to your BB plan — which will hopefully continue to work fine on an iPhone.
    * Lastly, with a PDA Unlimited data plan, expect minimal damage. It’s theoretically possible that MMS will not work since the iPhone currently does not support MMS, at least until AT&T flips the switch when iPhone OS 3.0 drops. So check that.

The upshot is this: if AT&T starts noticing that you’re using an iPhone 3G, they’re going to start enforcing their long-standing policy that you use an iPhone 3G plan. If you’re a regular SIM-swapper, you might be in for some hassles, depending on what your current plan is.

The thing that really rubs TiPb the wrong way is that the BlackBerry, PDA, and iPhone data plans all are $30. Why not allow us to change our devices as we see fit and keep it simple by one data plan to rule them all. BlackBerry users who try to switch their SIM to another device have long lived with the pain of not having a plan that easily works on non-BB phones. For now, iPhone plans do work fine on other devices.

So to all of the SIM swappers out there or for those of you who flew under the radar, how are you feeling about this? Isn’t part the point of having a GSM phone being able to swap the SIM with minimal hassle?

via TiPB
    Last edited by boxxa; 04-08-2009 at 07:35 AM.