+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: help on $15 unlimited data

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok I managed to get a killer deal on a like new iphone 3G off craigslist. My plan was to buy it and then add the data plan after the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default help on $15 unlimited data
    Ok I managed to get a killer deal on a like new iphone 3G off craigslist. My plan was to buy it and then add the data plan after the fact. So I got the phone gave att a call and asked them to turn off all data on my line. I verified that had happened with my nokia phone and then a couple days later threw my SIM in the iphone. I have been using it for about a week now, just wifi and as a normal phone. Went on att.com last night to add the $15 unlimited data plan and when I click on my line up pops a pic of an iphone 3G as my device! I was like WTF!!!!! So somehow they know I have an iphone, even though sending no data. Is there a way around this?? I would prefer if they just think I am adding the data plan to my nokia and save $15 a month. The phone is not jailbroken or anything and is running 2.2.1 and moden firmware 2.30.03 if any of that helps. I was not planning on jailbreaking it but if that will fix the problem, maybe chaning the IMEI # to be that of my nokia??? I dont know but any help would be great! Sorry for such a long post, I was just trying to get all the info in.

Thanks,
    Kevin

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Nope. Your device (iphone or anything else) transmits a fingerprint called an IMEI that tells them what your using. And you cant change it on an iphone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have read on here about guys using that $15 data plan on there iphone by adding it while using a differant phone and then swapping sims. Will it work if I use my other phone for a bit add the data and then swap the sim into my iphone?? Also if I keep things as they are now will the eventually add the data plan to my line??

KEvin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kmartel View Post
    I have read on here about guys using that $15 data plan on there iphone by adding it while using a differant phone and then swapping sims. Will it work if I use my other phone for a bit add the data and then swap the sim into my iphone?? Also if I keep things as they are now will the eventually add the data plan to my line??

KEvin
    It's hit or miss IMHO. You can do it that way but like cpjr said, your IMEI is sent to ATT every so often so no matter what you do, they're going to know you have an iPhone. Chances are if you're screwing them over $15 on a data plan they're just going to automatically add the iPhone data plan to your plan.

Personally, I'm on a pre-paid plan w/no data. I've only been on it for 2 days but I'm hopeful that as long as I don't use data, they'll leave me be. I edited my APN settings so I can't use data no matter what.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You really don't wanna mess around and be on the wrong plan. ATT has iPhone specific plans which are more expensive. You are on a different plan, you run the risk of having ATT bill you per kilobyte in the worst case.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Just go with the $30 plan. I know is twice as much as MediaNet Unlimited but AT&T will catch u and either upgrade the data plan for you and send u a text that they upgraded ur data plan OR bill you by the KB.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

i can't wait to read your post on how at&t sent you a bill for $400.00 for data uses

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When I got the 2G in July 2007 we went on vacation to the caribbean and I connected to the Wifi at the hotel and read the newspaper ever day and checked email.
    As you can imagine I must have been occasionally falling off wifi and roaming to edge, they tried to stick me with $1800 bucks worth of charges which I successfully fought.
    You really don't want to mess with AT&T.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well its been a couple weeks now since I bought my Iphone. I still have no data plan for it. I have turned off all data on my account and even changed to APN number so it cant send data even if att changes my account. Right now I have only been using wifi. I am waiting to see if they add data to my bill or not. If they do no biggie, there have been many times I wished I had it.

Kevin

Thanks

If you successfully have AT&T turn off data, then it won't matter what settings you have in the phone. I have a first gen 4gb model that my old lady uses, and have successfully had AT&T cut all data to/from the phone. You don't need to jailbreak or anything. As far as the $15 unlimited data, be careful. There used to be a way to change the IMEI of the iPhone, but that was back in the 1.1.4 days. I doubt that it is possible ATM.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

D&D
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yay my first post!!

ive had my 2g unlocked and jailbroke for 2 months on an At&T gophone card.

what i did:
    i just went to the local mall, bought a gophone sim from the at&t kiosk there, added 20$ for mins and 20$ for 100mb of data through the gophone service.
    popped in sim to iphone, proceeded to jailbreak/unlock with that sim.

results:
    2 months later i use the phone with no issus and ive never been prompted to pay for an iphone data plan. not sure who they would charge anyway as i have no personal informtion tied to this phone lol. i use the 100mb sparingly, and only when i need it (rare, since i live in an urban setting) and basically use it on wi-fi. its nice to have an ipod/gamesystm/movie player phone.

note, you do have to pay 20$ for the 100mb once a month. ive only used it one month. i didnt add it to my account his last month.