+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question: Upgrading from 1st gen iPhone to a used 3G

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So here's my situation, I'm hoping I can get some clarification before going to the ATT store tomorrow and talking with them... I'm currently using a 1st gen iPhone, prolly
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Question: Upgrading from 1st gen iPhone to a used 3G
    So here's my situation, I'm hoping I can get some clarification before going to the ATT store tomorrow and talking with them...

I'm currently using a 1st gen iPhone, prolly nearing the end of my first year of my two year contract, it has whatever sim card it came with when I first bought it new. I just recently bought a used 3G iPhone from my friend, who bought it new, signed the two year contract, and then paid the early termination to leave to Sprint. The 3G phone I bought still has it's 3G sim card in it.

Now I'm interested in upgrading from my 1st gen phone to the 3G, what kind of damage is the ATT reps gonna be looking to do for me? I've already accepted the fact that I can't get away with just throwing my sim in there and go on using it without the 3G service and I am going to have to pay for the new $30 data plan, but what are they going to do at the store? The 3G phone is already activated with a SIM card, so are they just going to switch my status from a 1st gen phone to the 3G, upgrade my data plan, and then try to get me to pay a new activation fee? Prolly a 2 year contract extension?

I would just do it online, but I'm afraid they would just automatically charge me an activation fee and contract extension, and I would like to argue with them and get out of any fee and longer contract, seeing as the first customer already paid up for the original activation fee and contract, I don't see why they should pass it on to me a second time...

Long-winded, but basicly, what is the process I should expect tomorro at the ATT store to upgrade?? Just a sim swap or what? Should I restore my phone so it isn't jailbreaked anymore?

Thanks for any help.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well, the employees at the AT&T stores are generally nice. I would suggest unjailbreaking but I don't know if they even look at the contents of the phone, so it's your judgement on that.

Anyway, if you don't want the new service plan, I'm pretty sure you could talk them out of making you use the new plan seeing as you're already paying the 2G data plan.

I highly doubt they would make you pay another activation fee seeing as all it's used for is to keep your service open. However, they may ask if you want to go ahead and extend your contract again.

AT&T isn't as stingy as people think. It's apple that has the bigger ripoffs. The main thing to remember is not to let them talk you into something you don't want.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fhadso For This Useful Post:

glydewake (03-18-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Right -- What exactly are they gonna do though? Anything to the SIM cards? Or just have me pop mine into the new 3G phone and then tell me to activate it at home in iTunes? I thought I read somewhere that the old SIM wouldn't work in 3G phones, or that it wouldn't work with 3G, and you are required to have 3G service on the 3G iPhone (no way to ensure you aren't using 3G)...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well, if the SIM has the 3G logo on it you'll just put it in the 3G.