+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 2G and using Gophone prepaid

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by GenesisDH You said the Ipsw file came in as a zip? That's why, it must have unzipped somehow (ipsw files are really differently named zip files), and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up Stuck @ iTunes Shift/Restore
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    You said the Ipsw file came in as a zip?
    That's why, it must have unzipped somehow (ipsw files are really differently named zip files), and the names of the folders you mention sound like the ipsw was unzipped.

I'd say redownload the Ipsw/firmware file, and make sure you save it with a .ipsw extension.
    Hi, GenesisDH. Thanks for offering to help too.

Bear with me as I am not too tech savvy: When I said that the ".ipsw extention" came in as a zip, what I really meant to say was that this file (LINK: iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw) downloaded in the .zip format (just like the QuickPwn-225-2.zip file did), which is interesting considering that there was no mention of it being a zip in the instructions.

As I said, I downloaded it anyway and went ahead to "extract all" afterwards. It was after extraction that I saw the mini-folders (.fseventsd and Firmware) and some other files - files that are not visible in the pwnage folder pop-up after doing shift/restore.

Is there anything I am doing wrong, Guys?? Please help.. :-(

++++++++++

I DID IT!!! Thanks to qnc & GenesisDH for your inputs!

Finally, after a couple of late nights, and half a day gone today without nothing to eat, I was able to shout EUREKA!

So with that taken care of, my next worry is syncing the phone with iTunes so I can have access to all my info again. I just tried doing it now but I am a little worried about going ahead with it.

First, I see that iTunes has every info correct BUT still retained the (phone) number on my old SIM card. How do I go ahead with updating this without losing all the stuff I have stored on the iTunes/phone previous to jaiilbreaking?

Thanks so much but please help with this last one!
    Last edited by Macfiend; 06-14-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Are you taking about the screen that shows up on iTunes when you connect to it, or the screen that says sonething along the lines of 'restore from a backup.'
    If it's the former, then eventually it should update itself with the new phone number.
    If it's the latter, then just use the backup listed with your old phone number, cause it only restores the text messages, notes, favorites, call logs and other info (but it shouldn't retain the old number).

qnc
    Thanks

Hey glad you got it working.

GenesisDH beat me to the punch, thanks.

Just as GenesisDH said it will update the phone number after you perform a sync. At one point I had 3 iphones plus the wife's.
    One on T-mobile prepaid
    One on GoPhone prepaid
    My original with ATT contract.

I was reluctant to upgrade so I had on on 1.1.1, one on 1.1.3/4 and one on 2.0.

I would switch SIM cards all the time just have to perform a sync and the correct phone number will show up.

Congrats and welcome to Jailbreak iPhone world. Have fun. Now that you are an expert you have even more fun installing and uninstalling new things to personalize your phone.

And if you mess up your phone just quickpwn again and start fresh.
    Yeah I'm an iPhoneaholic!! So What!!!
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    4 on 5.1.1 jailbroken on Straight Talk
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default SIM card Launch
    Thanks, qnc.

The iPhone is all synced-up and all info is intact - except that I haven't inserted the GoPhone SIM card. So, should I just go ahead and simply insert it now, or does it need to be in the phone before syncing??

* * * UPDATE * * *

So I finally summoned the courage to insert the SIM into the jailbroken iPhone 2G and found out that my troubles aren't over yet.

In other words, I have no service on the phone. And the SIM is a new one from AT&T GOphone, activated barely 48hrs ago.

Somebody got any idea what's going on?
    Last edited by Macfiend; 06-14-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macfiend View Post
    So I finally summoned the courage to insert the SIM into the jailbroken iPhone 2G and found out that my troubles aren't over yet.

In other words, I have no service on the phone. And the SIM is a new one from AT&T GOphone, activated barely 48hrs ago.

Somebody got any idea what's going on?
    Did you activate a SIM from a package that included $15 initial credit?

If you did, then the SIM might only be usable on the packaged GoPhone for the next 120 days.

If not, then there's probably other issues. You should be able to contact AT&T CS about by dialing 611 from the cell phone with the SIM in.
    Also, if you're trying to use a data package on the iPhone, AT&T stated that it may not work (due to some system changes w.r.t. preparing for the 3.0 updates), as mentioned here: Important Information for GoPhone Customers
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 06-15-2009 at 02:32 AM.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    Did you activate a SIM from a package that included $15 initial credit?

If you did, then the SIM might only be usable on the packaged GoPhone for the next 120 days.

If not, then there's probably other issues. You should be able to contact AT&T CS about by dialing 611 from the cell phone with the SIM in.
    Also, if you're trying to use a data package on the iPhone, AT&T stated that it may not work (due to some system changes w.r.t. preparing for the 3.0 updates), as mentioned here: Important Information for GoPhone Customers
    I bought the SIM directly from an AT&T store with a 69.99 plan almost 2 weeks ago. I was told by the CS guy that it can work with the 2G iPhone, but that "it's complicated". (Now I know what he meant).

I may have to go to the store later today to find out what's going on. Perhaps it's the SIM that's faulty?? Besides, I want to downgrade to the 49.99 plan/400mins for now. Will keep you guys updated on how things go.

qnc
    Thanks

I went to the store and told them that my Sim was not working they should be able to program you a new SIM with the same number.

**Don't let them hook the iphone up to their computer** I found out the hard way it will change all your settings and your data that you synced will be gone. Just tell them to activate your sim and you put it in.
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

8. The Following User Says Thank You to qnc For This Useful Post:

Macfiend (06-18-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think I just made a bad mistake.

I just updated my 2G iPhone firmware to 3.0.

You know the rest of the story.

Any ideas, Folks?

Thanks

You can either wait for QuickPWN to be updated for 3.0 (which is hopefully in the next day or so) and/or downgrade to 2.2.1 and use in the meantime.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

Macfiend (06-18-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah I will like to downgrade to 2.2.1

Please how do I go about doing this?

Thanks for your help.

qnc
    Thanks

do a search on the big boss website he may have directions
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy Defeated
    Alright, Folks..

So I tried everything everywhere, from BigBoss to iClarified, from switching to Restore mode to DFU mode.

And nothing worked - all I keep getting again and again is the same darn old 160x error messages, with the last one being 1602.

So I give up.

I guess I'm just gon have to wait for the geniuses at iphone dev to come up with something pretty soon, or return the iphone for a refurbished one at the local Apple store.

In the meantime, here I come, Old Cheap Phone! :-(

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I must be the unluckiest iPhone owner alive.

So I decided to wait until the debut of redsn0w (firmware 3.0) to jailbreak my 2G iPhone, whose firmware I had previously upgraded from 2.2.1 to 3.0.

I sucessfully jailbroke the phone as soon as redsn0w was released, but I haven't been able to use the phone with my goPhone SIM card since them.

Even though the goPhone SIM is activated, inserted and ready to go, the phone cannot recognize the network. Has anybody heard about this? Anybody got any ideas, pleeease? :-( :-(

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macfiend View Post
    I must be the unluckiest iPhone owner alive.

So I decided to wait until the debut of redsn0w (firmware 3.0) to jailbreak my 2G iPhone, whose firmware I had previously upgraded from 2.2.1 to 3.0.

I sucessfully jailbroke the phone as soon as redsn0w was released, but I haven't been able to use the phone with my goPhone SIM card since them.

Even though the goPhone SIM is activated, inserted and ready to go, the phone cannot recognize the network. Has anybody heard about this? Anybody got any ideas, pleeease? :-( :-(
    I know this may sound unnerving... but you've said this twice now, once while in 2.2.1 and now in 3.0. As it's a repeat problem, my guess it's either a problem/lockdown on the SIM/account (with how AT&T is trying to lock down GoPhone users, it's very possible) or the phone might be going kaput.

Once again, I suggest making sure the SIM works in other AT&T or unlocked phones first (I'd strongly suggest testing the SIM with several different phones, as 'working with one phone' doesn't mean 'works in them all'...), the two results below should help us troubleshoot a bit better:
    1) If the AT&T SIM does work on multiple phones, then you should attempt to restore your iPhone and try redsn0w again and allow it to unlock the phone as well. You might then buy and activate a cheap T-Mobile prepaid SIM (or borrow a friend's T-Mobile SIM) to see if the 'no signal' issue arises with that SIM (if it does have the issue, you're phone might be on a deathbed).
    2) If the AT&T SIM doesn't work in other phones, then you're probably needing a new SIM, or one that isn't locked to your cheap phone. AT&T might help you on that.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 06-23-2009 at 10:17 AM.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default yup
    I'm in the same boat. I got a new phone + gophone SIM 2 days ago. They did the $15 credit. So my SIM is not working in redsn0w/ultrasn0w 3.0. Just no cell message.

So I guess I may try to get another SIM prepaid without the $15 and see if that gets me anywhere.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm using the iPhone 2G with 3.1.2 (i actually got redsn0w to downgrade me from 3.1.3 where the goPhone sim was having problems) the phone now works with both ATT and Tmobile sims, but the bluetooth profiles are not working. is it possible that this is a hardware issue? since i've installed the tmobile prepaid bundles, i even got internet tethering, but no BT.

I actually prefer the tmobile prepaid to goPhone, but i haven't found a way to get data with tmobile. ATT data is really a ripoff, IMHO. Tmobile wants me to switch to postpaid or flexpay, but those plans are a ripoff too, if you have an iPhone 2G. basically you are paying for bandwidth that your device will never use. ATT postpaid plans are probably the best deal, because they give you UL Edge data for $20/mo. downside is you have to have a contract to be eligible.

qnc
    Thanks

I wish tmobile prepaid would have a data plan. They actually set up a forum asking users about prepaid data. Still nothing has happened.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by qnc View Post
    I wish tmobile prepaid would have a data plan. They actually set up a forum asking users about prepaid data. Still nothing has happened.
    How long ago was this? was it on their website or on one of the other forums?

qnc
    Thanks

It was on tmobile's website. On their forum link. It was some really good discussion about how plans should be set up. What people were willing to pay. The ideas were very reasonable. I just felt that tmobile was not listening and got off of it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default gophone iphone
    if i have a go phone sim card that i have used on a go phone before will it work on the iphone 2g if i just take the sim from the gophone and place into the iphone?

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12