+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: $200 iPhones with minimum commitment from AT&T

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Not sure how interested anyone will be in this but it's useful if you've only just started a contract with at&t. I was bored today and was browsing around through
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default $200 iPhones with minimum commitment from AT&T
    Not sure how interested anyone will be in this but it's useful if you've only just started a contract with at&t. I was bored today and was browsing around through wireless.att.com. I noticed that they give you the option to upgrade your phone at any time in your contract if you pay the full price for a phone.

I had a look the phones and saw they are doing refurb 8gb iPhone 3G for $199 (the model I already have). So I called up support and told them I was planning to upgrade my phone and would want my current phone unlocked (didn't tell them I was upgrading to the same phone). The rep took my details and told me I'd get an email in 3 days with confirmation of the unlock and I might have to connect to itunes for it to take effect.

End result is that I paid $200 for a legit unlocked 8gb iphone and have only added 1 month to my contract. Now when the phone turns up I can give it to my gf for her birthday

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Your NOT going to get an UNLOCKED iphone from AT&T. 100% chance it wont happen. It violates AT&T's agreement with Apple, and for this reason...AT&T doesnt even have the capabilities to unlock the iphone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

10 out of 10 for negativity there.

I don't expect them to send me an unlocked iPhone but as my current iPhone is now officially out of contract they are giving me the unlock code for it.

I'll post back here and let you know what happens

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

I wasnt being negative. And I can promise you they arent going to send you an unlock code for the iphone. Im just letting you know. AT&T doesnt have unlock codes for the iphone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dangerousandre's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm going to have to agree with cpjr...

iPhone? More like MyPhone dman112's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah CPJR is right it wouldn't be logical.It would be cool but they wont do that under there contract.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah, looks like I was wrong here. Each time I speak to AT&T they tell me that it's physically not possible to unlock an iPhone but in the same breath they tell me that if I move overseas (which I am in May) they will provide me unlock codes for both phones.. Doubt that I will see them to be honest.