+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using iPhone 3g with iPhone 2g plan?

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have been an AT&T/Cingular customer for about 9 years, and i have had an iPhone 2G for about a year and a half. I have wanted the iPhone 3g
    iPhone? More like MyPhone jaredb03's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Using iPhone 3g with iPhone 2g plan?
    I have been an AT&T/Cingular customer for about 9 years, and i have had an iPhone 2G for about a year and a half. I have wanted the iPhone 3g since it came out but didn't want to pay the 3g prices since i don't live within 150 miles of 3g service. So this week i bought a 3g iPhone off of ebay, and jailbroke it activated it, and popped my sim in. I left my data plan the iPhone 2g $20 plan that has unlimited data, and 200 text. Everything is working great(except my screen seems more yellow than my 2g), but today i got this text:

"Your data plan is ineligible for iPhone 3G. To prevent excess charges and enable visual voicemail, contact your telecom manager or AT&T"

My question is as long as i don't use 3g data they can't charge me any extra right? I don't care about visual voicemail as i have never used. I just want to make sure that as long as i just continue to use edge data and don't use 3g my current data plan will cover it right? Thanks in advance.

P.S. If anyone knows how to change the screen to not look as yellow please let me know. The only thing i can find is that updating your firmware should get rid of the yellow but did nothing for me. I'm on 2.2 firmware by the way

Thanks

ATT will add the 3G data plan to your bill regardless if you use data or not. Its optional on the 2G iPhones.

Yes, the screen on the 3G is more "yellow" than on the old 2G's. Its supposed to be. Search the archives and you will find many threads discussing that fact.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jaredb03's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    ATT will add the 3G data plan to your bill regardless if you use data or not. Its optional on the 2G iPhones.
    How can they change my plan without my authorization?

Thanks
    NO...just Itunes can do that, Att not... im using iphone 2g plan on 3g iphone

5. The Following User Says Thank You to blankito350 For This Useful Post:

babybia175 (03-25-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blankito350 View Post
    so you don't receive any addiontal charges for the 3g data? i'm just curious because i just got my iphone 3g from ebay and i haven't gotten a bill from ATT yet.
    iPhone 1st Gen 4GB Unlocked/Jailbroken on ATT
    **Updated to 2.0**
    My Phone is a Part of Me

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blankito350 View Post
    Incorrect, iTunes can only change data plans on first-gen iPhone-associated accounts. 3G iPhone data plan changes are done directly through AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredb03 View Post
    How can they change my plan without my authorization?
    If you look at the current Feature Terms and Conditions (which is universally valid for all AT&T postpaid customers), AT&T has the right to change you to and charge you for the 'iPhone 3G' data plan if you decide to use an iPhone 3G. You are, as a AT&T customer, required to adhere to these Terms and would, in effect, authorize AT&T to make changes to your account by using an iPhone 3G.

AT&T could flag any postpaid customer using a 3G model without the valid plan on the account, either by blocking data (or even all wireless services), forcing pay-per-use data rates (they have done this with other device and plan abusers before, trust me), or adding the plan on the account (that you, by using the 3G iPhone, implicitly consented to per the previously mentioned Feature Terms and Conditions).

They haven't done changes to anyone's account yet, but that have warned people via SMS or email... that's perfectly valid means of contacting you to inform you and require you to abide to the TOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by babybia175 View Post
    so you don't receive any addiontal charges for the 3g data? i'm just curious because i just got my iphone 3g from ebay and i haven't gotten a bill from ATT yet.
    It doesn't matter if you're in a 3G-capable area, the data charge rates are the same.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 03-28-2009 at 01:34 AM. Reason: clarification and added relevant links
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks

Genesis, JW if you work for ATT?