+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Data plan with Jailbroken unlocked iphone?

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have a 1st gen. iphone that is unlocked and jail broken and want to know if I still have to have a data plan for it by AT&T ?
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Data plan with Jailbroken unlocked iphone?
    I have a 1st gen. iphone that is unlocked and jail broken and want to know if I still have to have a data plan for it by AT&T ?

Thanks

The data package is not required by AT&T.

If you do have AT&T currently: Pop your SIM in the iPhone.
    If you do not have AT&T currently: Get a free phone from your local AT&T store or online. If you took your iPhone into the store, they will require you to get a data package, don't blame them, they know no better. So it's easier to just get a free phone (to sell on eBay of course). Once you have the free phone, pop it's SIM into the iPhone.

Next is crucial: Call Customer Care (611) and tell them that you do not want any data to/from the phone. Be sure to say "No Pay-Per-Use, and no data Package, I have WiFi at home and work, so I don't need it". If you just say that you do not want a data package the rep might think that you want pay-per-use, which is duper expensive as the iPhone is constantly sending/recieving data, little bits at a time.

BTW: You do not need to have your iPhone unlocked and/or jailbroken to do this, you just need to stand firm with CS, they may try to tell you that the data package is required; it most certainly is not.

I can atest to this method as my Fiance's iPhone has data turned off on AT&T's end, and she can recieve text messages just fine.
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 01-28-2009 at 06:46 AM.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    I can atest to this method as my Fiance's iPhone has data turned off on AT&T's end, and she can recieve text messages just fine.
    [/COLOR]
    I can vouch for that too, I turned off data on a lot of my customers lines because not everyone one wants to pay an additional 20 or 30 dollars.....

but just remember to change the imei on the account and just tell them to completely block all data, or you'll get a high bill.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the info guys! Makes me want to get an iphone 3g now.. Just one more question: If I do get a 3g iphone from lets say eBay or somthing, I can just go ahead and kill off my data plan? will The iphone still get 3g speed? or will i have to use internet off of a wifi connection all the time?

Thanks

If you get a 3G and have the data package taken off, you will definitely need to have the data blocked, as the pay-per-use for 3G would be ridiculous. I cannot stress enough how much your bill would be.

You would only be able to access the internet via WiFi.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix