+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3g iphone/tethering/speed/newbie

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi, this is my first post. I hope you guys can help me out here. I don't have an iphone yet, but thinking of getting one. Background: The only home
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3g iphone/tethering/speed/newbie
    Hi, this is my first post. I hope you guys can help me out here.

I don't have an iphone yet, but thinking of getting one.

Background: The only home internet service available to me is dialup, 3g, and satellite. I purchased an aircard and a wireless router that accepts an aircard. The 3g service for an aircard is $60 per month. It works well at my house, no complaints.

My wife wants an iphone for her bday, service for the iphone is $30 per month + the voice plan which we already have. I would like to have one too, not fair for her to have one and not me

Here is what I need to know. Can I unlock the 3g iphones and tether for free without att knowing and how does tethering affect the 3g speed?

Seems that for the same monthly cost I can have two iphones and use tethering for home internet. Just have to pay the upfront cost for the iphones.

Thanks for any help.
    1w1

iPhone? More like MyPhone captainjapanicq's Avatar
    Thanks

There are apps that you need to pay for if you want to tether, they are 3rd party apps which require a jailbroken iphone. Can att find you if you are tethering your data probably.

Green Apple
    Thanks

They will find out i recommend PDA NEt if your gonna do it it's the onl one that's easy

iPhone? More like MyPhone captainjapanicq's Avatar
    Thanks

There is a $30 a month 5 gb limit, tethering plan coming out this week from att that you can pay for and do it legally.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh cool thanks for the info. Much easier to do it legally. Is that the same as the previous plan they offered just with tethering?

Thanks

I just called att the rep checked and wasn't aware of the plan coming out. Any more details?
    Last edited by 1wired1; 01-06-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You're going to pay $60 for iphone data plan + tethering.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I tether with $30 a month. To my knowledge they haven't released the tethering package yet for the iPhone. I could be wrong though. I would just download PDANet from Cydia, pay the 30 dollars for the year and be done with it. Nothing special with that tethering package it just a fancy name same ish. You can tether with APN: wap
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by captainjapanicq View Post
    There is a $30 a month 5 gb limit, tethering plan coming out this week from att that you can pay for and do it legally.
    Has anyone heard an update on when the AT&T tethering plan will be announced?

Jim