+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked iPhone on AT&T (whats the consensus here?)

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I've just finished reading about 30 threads regarding "Unlocked 1G iPhone and its use on AT&T network?" and I have not gotten a straight answer. Does anyone have proof that
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Unlocked iPhone on AT&T (whats the consensus here?)
    I've just finished reading about 30 threads regarding "Unlocked 1G iPhone and its use on AT&T network?" and I have not gotten a straight answer.

Does anyone have proof that you can do the following...

1. Unlock a 1G iphone
    2. Use an AT&T Sim Card (from 8525 device with corporate data plan)
    3. Not get caught by AT&T (i.e. I do not want to get charged extra).

Is there any way to not get caught using an unlocked iphone on AT&T network or is this impossible.

Please only respond if you know or have proof of the above scenario.

Much appreciated.

Ryan

Thanks

You only need to unlock if you are not using AT&T.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,171 Posts

1. You can unlock it and use a AT&T sim, But it's not necessary (unlock works for any sim. even AT&T)
    2. Yes, No problem there
    3. Don't tell them and your good to go. There is no way they could tell unless you told them.

Hope this helps.... Anyone else have an opinion?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    1. You can unlock it and use a AT&T sim, But it's not necessary (unlock works for any sim. even AT&T)
    2. Yes, No problem there
    3. Don't tell them and your good to go. There is no way they could tell unless you told them.

Hope this helps.... Anyone else have an opinion?
    I've been told that AT&T can read your IMEI number and know its an iPhone and your not on the iPhone plan.

So, I won't get in trouble if I plug in my 8525 sim card? What about activation then?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Just stumbled upon this: (is this true)

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/native-...-imei-att.html
    Last edited by ryeguy_24; 12-29-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I use sim from my corporate BB with no issues so far. Been 8 months, but then again company paying 45/mo for data plan so don't think there is any reason for ATT to complain.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Ziphone only works on firmware 1.1.4 or below. And a SIM card is a SIM card.... i don't know why you keep referring to it as a "8525 SIM card". Yes AT&T can sense your IMEI but there's no one going through the 50 million accounts to double check.

Thanks

Yes they will know that you have an iphone because of the IMEI. Yes they wont be happy. You have one choice. You must be on 1.1.4 unlock with ziphone and change imei to a phone you no longer use but keep.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    If your paying $45 for unlimited data through a corporate plan for the device, why would ATT not be happy and ask you to downgrade to a plan in which they only get $30 a month from you instead?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Dude, downgrade to 1.1.4 then use ziphone to change your imei number to an old phone's imei. Then upgrade to 2.2 and no worries.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Ziphone only works on firmware 1.1.4 or below. And a SIM card is a SIM card.... i don't know why you keep referring to it as a "8525 SIM card". Yes AT&T can sense your IMEI but there's no one going through the 50 million accounts to double check.
    They don't need anyone to check...the computers can and they do. I have had 3 1st gen phones upgraded to 3G phones and all of the accounts received a text saying that I have the wrong plan, please call AT&T.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I really don't think its necessary to do all that if you already paying a higher amount than what is required. I'm going on 9 months soon of BB coporate acct sim card, been using in iphone 2G everyday, only use the BB maybe once a week and never received any kind of message whatsoever about needing to change plans. I think if your on a lower plan and using a higher data rate device than yeah, such as a 2G plan with a 3G phone, but not the other way around. Unless I am just extraordinarily lucky.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    They don't need anyone to check...the computers can and they do. I have had 3 1st gen phones upgraded to 3G phones and all of the accounts received a text saying that I have the wrong plan, please call AT&T.
    Exactly

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

can at&t really make you add a data plan to your account?....if someone wants to use the iphone for simply a phone and disable the edge or 3g network....i would think that is there choice....correct me if im wrong ...
    i would like to know b/c i have 2 spare iphone sitting around and my brother would like to use one but he doesnt care about the internet and stuff and he is currently an at&t customer...
    thank you
    If I Helped You Hit The Thanks Button

Green Apple
    Thanks

1. Unlock a 1G iphone - YES, I did myself
    2. Use an AT&T Sim Card - YES, even without data plan
    3. Not get caught by AT&T - Will show up on your account that you're using an iPhone, but they can't force to buy proper data plan.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dirrtydude For This Useful Post:

Ice9812 (01-05-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    If data is not needed through edge you can install SBSettings and disable Edge through that. I bought a 2G for my GF for xmas and did this as she is on a prepaid gophone plan with ATT. I reset the data counter just to be sure, and so far did a few reboots, resprings, etc, and edge has not turned back on. Also since its prepaid a popup each time you finish a call or txt shows your balance, and its always as expected. Now if ATT would just offer medianet at a better rate, then we can add that on!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i unlocked my iphone so i can just use other att sims and skipping activation

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default ATT sent me a txt msg.
    Hi,

I just jailbroke and unlocked my phone using yellosn0w. I know it unlocked properly because my friends t-mobile sim card works in it. Also, when i connect to itunes, i never had to activate or sign a contract, i simply just skipped the registerign part and everything sync's fine.

BUT... when i put my sim card (att) in, the phone said "sim card activated"... now i didnt think much of this, and still dont think its abnormal...
    but after a night of setting things up and using the phone, the next morning (this morning) at 9am on the dot i got a text msg from at&t...
    it said something like "your current plan is not setup to use iphone data. Please call and sign up or else you may be charged in excess for data usage".

Thats not what it exactly said, but from what i remember something close to that. and when i go back into my texts to see what it exactly said, the message wasnt there for some reason...

Anyway, im just wondering if they can actually charge me excessively if im on a medianet max plan from my old phone? Or is this just a scare? And can tehy automatically change my plan and extend my contract since im using an iphone?...

Kinda scary!!! I hope i didnt get charged extra for the data i used b4 receiving that text!!

Thanks

Why do you need to unlock if you're still gonna use ATT? why not just jailbreak???
    2G iPhone:8Gb/unlocked/T-Mobile/T-Zones ($5.99)/FW2.2.1(5H11)
    LOST in the frozen backcountry of Copper Mountain, CO

iPhone: 3G/8Gb/unlocked/T-Mobile/T-zones ($5.99)/FW3.1.2

Mac: because two mouse buttons are scary.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

because, i dont wanna pay att's high data plan and wanted to bypass the contractual process. I'm currently getting mediamax w/ unlimited text for $19.99.

Green Apple
    Thanks

you may wanna do the pawnage again with YOUR at&t sim card inside...