+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Swirly MMS - How I got it working

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok guys, I have seen so many posts on this issue that I wanted to make a new thread on all the steps I took to get this working for
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Swirly MMS - How I got it working
    Ok guys, I have seen so many posts on this issue that I wanted to make a new thread on all the steps I took to get this working for me.

First off I am using a jailbroken iPhone 3g on an AT&T family plan. My plan when starting consisted of the iPhone text messaging 200 feature and of course unlimited data.

First off I downloaded the Swirly MMS app from Cydia (still using the trial version) and inputted the common settings for AT&T:

Code:
    MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
    proxy: 66.209.11.032

No apn, username/password

image size: medium
    user agent: Nokia_N95(I've had success with iPhone as well)
    Next I used the online chat support to get them to send an OTA network reset to my phone. This was easy to do. I just told them "I was having data/internet issues and called a customer service rep to get it fixed. Since I was using my iPhone already to make the phone call, she instructed me to contact a rep via online chat so they can send the OTA and guide me through the process." They did it instantly.

At this point MMS still did not work

Next I realized that the iPhone text messaging 200 plan was restricting me from sending/recieving MMS messages. The easiest way for me to solve this was to call them up (couldn't do it online) and ask to have the $30 unlimited messaging for families added to my plan. This was actually a good thing for me because we have 4 family members paying $5 for 200 text messages and then paying some overage charges. If you do not wish to add this package you will need to contact customer service and somehow convince them to add a regular messaging plan to your account. It is important to know that MMS will NOT work if you have any messaging plan that says iPhone in the feature title. Usually if you are polite and have a somewhat valid excuse, customer service will be glad to help you!

Finally I waited a few minutes for the change to take hold and tested out Swirly MMS. Low and behold it worked! All it took was less than 20 minutes of my time.

I know there are many conflicting stories out there, and another member that is working really hard to try and get people help. This guide just shows you a way you can do it yourself without any help, or any payment required.

I will be glad to answer questions and give advice

-DMod

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Good to hear that ATT is doing this and helping people activate it. I don't see why they would have a problem with people using it since they are paying for it.

Just a matter of finding the right info to bring to ATT and have them set it up. I might check into this over the weekend and see if I can get it working.

iPhone? More like MyPhone JackSchitt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DMod View Post
    This guide just shows you a way you can do it yourself without any help, or any payment required.
    what do you mean, "any payment required"?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think what hes trying to say is you wont have to pay someone to get it working. gQ is heliping people get it working for $5. DMod is showing how he was able to get it working without paying someone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady6 View Post
    I think what hes trying to say is you wont have to pay someone to get it working. gQ is heliping people get it working for $5. DMod is showing how he was able to get it working without paying someone.
    Exactly!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey folks,

GQ worked on my phone for a few hours yesterday. He never got it working and pretty much just stopped contacting me all together. Maybe he got a frustrated as I am! Then again I know he's got a life too, and other people he's trying to help. But I'm still stuck here! I've paid for the program, paid GQ, called AT&T and enabled WAP push, and had the OTA sent, and tried all the settings I could find. I've got the first gen iphone. I had swirly working perfectly for about a month then the sweeps came! Am I just stuck or is there something out there thats working for someone else? Please Help......

Thanks

Posting the same request in two seperate threads?

Reako

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I would search around. Some people have had their own success. The only benefit of going through GQ is he knows what needs to change. Most people have put the terms on here.

Call and talk to them yourself.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Boxxa: Login to your online account and tell me what the name of your text messaging plan is.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

gq got mine working perfectly.. i was one of the few he got to in the beginning when he first started and took only 10 minutes.. but then mine stopped also maybe because of the sweeps.. but i did what some other people did on here also.. just swap out your sim, put it into a different phone, send a mms and see if it starts working again.. it did for me and i still have no problems..gq's a good guy he probably just got very overwhelmed with the response of people wanting mms on their phones and the sweeps just made it worse

Green Apple
    Thanks

doesnt it work when u install swirly? At least it did when I installed it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CMPLX View Post
    doesnt it work when u install swirly? At least it did when I installed it.
    MOst people who are with ATT and on iPhone plans and text messaging plans are running into problems because ATT blocks it. People with T-Mo seem to be able to install and go and be fine along with some other people who have ATT.

Depends on your plan, how you signed up, phone, etc.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Working Swirly on 3g running 2.2
    Ok, bear with me and ill TRY to explain how i got this to work...

Im running a 3g with 2.2 on AT&T

I had AT&T set my account to be WAP Capable and WAP PUSH MMS enabled
    then I had the AT&T rep put a non iPhone MMS package on my account (1500 messages for $15.00) not a family plan, he was actually a cool AT&T representative.

the Swirly MMS settings I used are :
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    Proxy: 066.209.011.032
    APN: wap.cingular

Ok, here is where i did a few things that I was just playing around trying to make it work and in the end it worked...

I took the SIM card out and put it in my wife's LG (Shine) AT&T phone.. I went to the MMS settings and there was a option under MMS messaging to "activate MMS messaging" I clicked on that and got a message saying MMS enabled. I then placed a call from my wife's phone with my SIM card in it to my house..it obviously showed up as my phone number... I took the SIM out and put it back in my 3G.. waited for the M to turn green and to my surprise it downloaded my message and displayed it.. I also sent a message to myself to verify it was working and it sent and downloaded perfectly....

** Here is the tricky part... if I reset the network setting on my iPhone, Swirly stopped working and I got the Error http unresponsive thing... so i had to repeat the SIM card step..

As of now my visual voicemail is still working and so is the internet.. everything on the phone seems to be working like normal.. FOR NOW.. I also did NOTHING with the IMEI or changing it.. I hope this helps you guys out and let me know if you get luck with it...

--Marc--

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!
    Last edited by MC1233; 11-27-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MC1233 For This Useful Post:

gotchopsticks (02-16-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MC1233 View Post
    Ok, bear with me and ill TRY to explain how i got this to work...

Im running a 3g with 2.2 on AT&T

I had AT&T set my account to be WAP Capable and WAP PUSH MMS enabled
    then I had the AT&T rep put a non iPhone MMS package on my account (1500 messages for $15.00) not a family plan, he was actually a cool AT&T representative.

the Swirly MMS settings I used are :
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    Proxy: 066.209.011.032
    APN: wap.cingular

Ok, here is where i did a few things that I was just playing around trying to make it work and in the end it worked...

I took the SIM card out and put it in my wife's LG (Shine) AT&T phone.. I went to the MMS settings and there was a option under MMS messaging to "activate MMS messaging" I clicked on that and got a message saying MMS enabled. I then placed a call from my wife's phone with my SIM card in it to my house..it obviously showed up as my phone number... I took the SIM out and put it back in my 3G.. waited for the M to turn green and to my surprise it downloaded my message and displayed it.. I also sent a message to myself to verify it was working and it sent and downloaded perfectly....

** Here is the tricky part... if I reset the network setting on my iPhone, Swirly stopped working and I got the Error http unresponsive thing... so i had to repeat the SIM card step..

As of now my visual voicemail is still working and so is the internet.. everything on the phone seems to be working like normal.. FOR NOW.. I also did NOTHING with the IMEI or changing it.. I hope this helps you guys out and let me know if you get luck with it...

--Marc--

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

Now is it going to be more money or will we get hit with some extra charges along the way. Is it possible for them to detect that it is back in an Iphone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

As of today it is still working.. i called AT&T to verify what plans I am on .. $99 unlimited voice, 1500 text/pic messaging. and media max unlimited data/internet for the iPhone... I don't think I will get hit with extra charges, and if I do I don't see where they would come in.... also my IMEI is still the same on the phone...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i had mine working a awhile back and then i switched to a different phone....Well i'm back and I have a 3g iphone. My wife now has my 2g. We are on familytalk text unl. All I did to get it work was call in and and have them clear the vlr and resend all ota's. Worked perfect. Settings are:

mmsc: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    Proxy: wireless.cingular.com:80

User agent: Samsung BJ2

Everything else blank

Worked on my 3g and wife's 2g.

When I called all I said was my job put a program on our phones and it requires us to get ota's resent and vlr cleared. They don't ask any questions. Just letting you all know what I did this time to get it to work. Good luck

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sinner1649 For This Useful Post:

Tohsh (12-05-2008)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sinner1649 View Post
    i had mine working a awhile back and then i switched to a different phone....Well i'm back and I have a 3g iphone. My wife now has my 2g. We are on familytalk text unl. All I did to get it work was call in and and have them clear the vlr and resend all ota's. Worked perfect. Settings are:

Everything else blank

When I called all I said was my job put a program on our phones and it requires us to get ota's resent and vlr cleared. They don't ask any questions. Just letting you all know what I did this time to get it to work. Good luck
    i just did exactly what you said and now it works
    Mac Pro 2x2.66
    1.3 TB HDD
    6 GB RAM
    2x24" Dell 2405 monitors
    PowerBook 17"
    8GB Gen1 jailbroken Iphone
    16GB 3Gs white
    60 GB ipod

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default att and mms messaging
    First off I dont really think its the messaging plan its att as a company that is blocking you and yes i understand that you can switch your messaging to media net unlimited but according to att if you do this you are charged by bite if you go on the net with the iphone they know what phone your on. Second It is very very important to have wap and mms turned on and turned on in the snooper. The att rep will not tell you what snooper is but its the device that sees the iphone doing things its not suppose to basically. wap has to be enabled in 2 spots most att reps dont know what it even is so if they tell you its ok it may not be. Finally here is where i am at after 2 days. wap on in both places mms enabled(tell them you switch sim cards if they ask why you need this). I have the iphone data and the iphone messaging just to let you know. I also have 2.2 3g jailbroken not unlocked using swirly mms. I can as of now for the last day send and recieve mms that i send to myself. I can also send mms to any other person. I cannot recieve mms. I am so close but dont have it complete.
    my settings are
    mmsc.cingular.com
    proxy 066.209.011.032
    apn wap.cingular
    username [email protected]
    image size medium
    user agent iphone
    also worked with apn username and password blank but still couldnt recieve mms.
    If any one can get me over the hump it would be much appriciated. Finally can someone tell me if its true about surfing the net on the iphone with medianet unlimited as i stated before att reps say you are charged per bite so becareful not to run up a bill. almost forgot i am in ny ive read things that state different parts of the country have different settings.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sinner1649 View Post

Everything else blank

So you told them they put a program on your iphone or another phone? Im bout to try this in a couple day's .

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I honestly do not understand why you all so desperate for MMS .. there are so many other options for sending someone a damn picture . Use Agile Messenger when they release the new version, use email...use SendPic..I'm sure once you have the mms working and all the excitement of sending that special someone a..... GASP ! a picture Woooow ... jeez rally for somethin we RELLY need.. cut and paste. ..stable safari..an update to Winterboard ui... finding out where SpicyChicken is hiding.. besides all of the messing with data plans and switching sim cards " thinking you've tricked AT&T and getting pissed when you get nailed with charges or they take more control of what service we can't and can have ... it's bad enough that they even have a say... Apple will release an MMS app .. not long from now ... so stop whining and complaining.. use the iPhone for the other 3000 things it can do better than you