+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Got Rid of my Data plan

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi, I didn't believed what AT&T rep was trying to screw me over my data plan. I used to be on Cingular $39.99 plan and when I got my Iphone,
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Thumbs down Got Rid of my Data plan
    Hi, I didn't believed what AT&T rep was trying to screw me over my data plan. I used to be on Cingular $39.99 plan and when I got my Iphone, I added the $40 data plan. Then I left for Thailand on June 30th and took my Iphone with me. Anyway, I came back from Thailand on July 24th I decided that Data plan was not worth it. I mean its slow as hell and viewing You Tube over EDGE? puleeze....and the Map? thats even slower. When I got to AT&T I told them I want to cancel the Data plan and just want my old $39.99 back. The AT&T rep told me that even if I cancel it I wouldn't still be able to disable it on my Iphone. Not only that, I'm still liable for any data that someone sends me SMS (even if I don't read it) I'm still going to get charge .49 cents on my bill. While still trying to sort out my minutes on my bill (rollover minutes), one of my friend who used to work for sprint now supervise for AT&T told me that they can disable the EDGE data stuff and that most AT&T rep do not want people to get rid of the Data package. This is where AT&T makes their $$$ and extra. I have ClearWire broadband internet modem hook up to my WIFI and I can use my YOU TUBE and all the other stuff including SMS and SKYPE with EDGE disable on my Iphone. FYI

Green Apple
    Thanks

Mmmmkay.

Basically, you're pretty lucky they actually did it for you - assuming that's what I translated from your post. It's an AT&T policy than an iPhone data package is required while the phone is active on your account.
    [r a y n e]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    At&t will NOT remove the data plan while you have an Iphone activated, period.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why not? mine is. every time I try to go to my You tube or weather etc.. It give me "Could not activate EDGE: You are not subscribed to EDGE". The only way I can access this is if i have WIFI.