+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 1st gen + At&t simcard - data plan activation $$$ = ?

is a discussion within the

AT&T

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi. Newbie here. I just got a used iPhone from a friend who just bought the iPhone 3G. I am a current At&t subscriber for almost 2 years and I
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Exclamation iPhone 1st gen + At&t simcard - data plan activation $$$ = ?
    Hi. Newbie here.

I just got a used iPhone from a friend who just bought the iPhone 3G.
    I am a current At&t subscriber for almost 2 years and I wanted to use the phone without the additional cost for data.
    I know it sounds ridiculous but I'm just a student, unemployed and cutting cost.
    I have unlimited text message and about 1500 minutes.

I think I might have heard about jailbreaking/unlocking iPhone from another friend who bought one on ebay.
    Basically told me that all he did was insert the Tmobile sim and used the phone without additional cost.
    He can surf the safari and just had the iPhone working perfectly.
    I am wondering if that is possible on me.

I looked around here and I am so lost I decided to start a thread.
    I am using my Windows Vista 32 bit laptop (because my XP desktop wont recognize the phone)
    I plugged the iPhone and Itunes it says...

Capacity: 7.08 GB
    Software Version: 2.0

Thanks for your advice!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the same predicament...did you get any response / any luck? Thanks

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Not with AT&T, you can place your old sim in the iphone and probably get away with it for a bit....but AT&T will notice your using an iphone (it is all broadcasted over the network) and make you add the "data" plan.

Your friend unlocked his phone for using with Tmobile. Obviously, since Tmo doesnt carry the iphone, this does not apply for him.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Not with AT&T, you can place your old sim in the iphone and probably get away with it for a bit....but AT&T will notice your using an iphone (it is all broadcasted over the network) and make you add the "data" plan.
    Why is this statement keep coming up? Did you experience this yourself? Come on, this is total balls, I didn't get harrassed to add Data plan.

However, OP, be warned, if you did not subscribed to the data plan and if you use your phone to browse, you'll be paying the per byte cost - See this dude's post: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/t/29797...0-1-month.html

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bmxtreme For This Useful Post:

dirrtydude (09-03-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I got the same isuue. I have ATT family plan without data and with a regular phone. A friend of mine can cell me his Iphone 1st gen, and I was wandering could I use it on my plan, and if so, how can I make sure I wont get any additional payments, since the only way I'll be going online with it, is through Wi-Fi.
    thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have a similar problem. i currently have a razr and i am on a family plan with att with unlimited text, but no data. I actually turned off the internet access completely to avoid any uninentional web surfing that would result in additional fees because im a high schooler with no job and cant afford the 30$ a month for data. Anyway, my friend is selling her 1st generation iphone and i an interested in buying it but i was unsure what procedures i would have to take to get it to work, and if it would work with my current plan at all. Would i be able to keep data turned off or would i start getting charged for the data just because i would be using an iphone. i really just want the same features(call/text/wifi/apps ect) on the iphone while keeping the same plan i currently have. please letme know if this is completely absurd lol or if it can be done. Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

As long as you unlock the iphone (usually through a jailbreaking tool) you can use the iphone without adding data or incurring any charges. I've had two iphones that i've done this with and while it shows up on your online att account as an iphone, it doesnt add the data or give you any trouble in my experience