+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile 'Bring your own phone to T-Mobile' plan

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
    iPhone? More like MyPhone duceduc's Avatar
    Thanks

Default T-Mobile 'Bring your own phone to T-Mobile' plan
    I am from Japan using Softbank iPhone 4 that is gevey sim unlock. I am planning to visit the usa for a month and would like internet access mainly when I am on the road. I don't really care much for the voice part, just Internet access.

T-mobile has a 'Bring your own phone to t-moible' I think may fit what I need for $70 a month. Since there is no annual contract, can I just pay for one month of usage and not be penalize with any fees when I cancel? Also, on their site, it specifically say:

Only T-Mobile and AT&Tís iPhones, and Verizonís & Sprintís iPhone 5 will work on our network; other iPhones may have limited functionality, including coverage limitations. Capable device required for 4G speeds; capable iPhone may achieve 4G speeds in limited areas.
    Will I have issue as far as getting internet access on my softbank iphone 4?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

You shouldn't have issues getting it to work with the unlock method.
    Note: You won't get full 3G/'4G' on your phone (only the T-Mobile US and newer at&t iPhone 5 models can), but you should get some 3G in the larger, refarmed, markets. EDGE will be available most everywhere, including most highways.

Since you mentioned data is the primary goal you want, there are other options. You can get a $30/month T-Mobile prepaid plan that includes unlimited data & texting with 100 minutes. You can activate the plan through Walmart or online using a prepaid starter kit.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks

The later option sounds good. Where can I get this starter kit you mention of? Is it on t-mobile site or a walmart? My main stay is in los angels while visiting las vegas and the west rim of grand canyon. hope I would have any issue there.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duceduc View Post
    The later option sounds good. Where can I get this starter kit you mention of? Is it on t-mobile site or a walmart? My main stay is in los angels while visiting las vegas and the west rim of grand canyon. hope I would have any issue there.
    You might be able to buy a prepaid starter kit online through T-Mobile, and you should be able to activate the plan in-store at any Walmart.

In LA and Las Vegas you should be able to get 3G speeds, but EDGE at best near the Grand Canyon area (the coverage maps show areas around the Grand Canyon as roaming coverage, so that will depend on the roaming carrier).

I good place to look about T-Mobile refarmed network (for 3G) reports that would apply to your situation is http://www.airportal.de.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks

Thanks for the info again.

By looking at your signature screen name at hofo, I think I remember you when I was heavily active at hofo back when Motorola V635 was the ****.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

T-mobile doesn't have good coverage. Since you only need service for a month, you may want to look at AT&T prepaid. Also, gevey sim is incompatible with 3g (when turn 3g is on, gevey sim frequently loses signal), so you may have to stay with Edge (painfully slow).

good luck