+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: updating ip4 to work on tmobile without gevy sim

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have an ip4 operating with 5.0.1 and firmware modem 04.10.01 and im jailbroken. lately my gevy som has been acting up. I would like to if possible update the
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default updating ip4 to work on tmobile without gevy sim
    I have an ip4 operating with 5.0.1 and firmware modem 04.10.01 and im jailbroken. lately my gevy som has been acting up. I would like to if possible update the phone but remember the last time I fooled with this there was a big issue over making sure not to update the modem firmware. is this still the case or now that tmobile carries iphone is it ok just to update all including to the latest modem firmware and then unlock so I can use on tmobile without all the extra hardware and software? what is the latest ip4 software update I can use and accomplish this and is there a way to manually update or am I stuck waiting on the latest firmware hack?

Thanks

You'll need an IMEI unlock if your iPhone isn't already unlocked and you don't want to use a GEVEY anymore. I'd advise either Chronic (of Chronic-Dev Team fame) Unlocks or iDeviceGuys (run by Cowboy, the moderator here). If you don't know what carrier your phone was originally locked to, these services along with others can tell you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

cmb7684 (07-06-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

it was originally on at&t .

so without updating the phone leaving it in its current state I can use this unlocker you mentioned and then use the phone on tmobile like I have been doing but without the gevy sim? then when a new jailbreak comes out for 6.1.3 I can update without trying to preserve the current modem firmware and simply use the unlocker again to make it updated and unlocked to work with tmobile without gevy sim?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,101 Times in 6,940 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmb7684 View Post
    it was originally on at&t .

so without updating the phone leaving it in its current state I can use this unlocker you mentioned and then use the phone on tmobile like I have been doing but without the gevy sim? then when a new jailbreak comes out for 6.1.3 I can update without trying to preserve the current modem firmware and simply use the unlocker again to make it updated and unlocked to work with tmobile without gevy sim?
    yes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

cmb7684 (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

My unlocks are fast and cheap 10 bucks and you dont ever have to worry about a stupid gevey sim and baseband crap again AT&T iPhone Unlock (3-24 hours) | IDeviceGuys
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

cmb7684 (07-06-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

My concern is that im operating on such an old modem firmware. Cowboy If you can do it tell me how to make payment and contact you to get started. I have two you can do both were AT&T and both are on he same modem firmware but the other phone is operating on 4.3.3. I do need to make sure it is not going to wipe our phones.

Thanks

Just visit the site above checkout via paypal. It will not wipe the phones

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

cmb7684 (07-06-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

cowboy I followed the link in your post and I already made payment. the first one listed is the one with the more recent software update. As I said if for any reason it is going to wipe it I need you to hold off. Both phones are powered on and have the gevy sim installed with the one with the most recent software update drifting in and out of service. Let me know f I need to do anything special? Also if I were to update either phone to 6.1.3 after you unlock it, ill I have any trouble or do I still have to wait for the JB to come available for 6.1.3 before I update it or does it matter?

Thanks

Got your payment and working on getting your imeis unlocked.

Its not going to do any harm to your phones, no need to wait for jailbreaking or anything. Once unlocked always unlocked no matter what you do.

You dont need to do anything special i will let you know via email when they are done

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

cmb7684 (07-06-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

OK I have one phone that shows 1 bar on the signal with the gevy sim removed and a brand new micro SIM card that was updated from tmobile with my number. it does not say tmobile next to the signal. so im sure its a setting or someting I need to change? this is the phone that is on 4.3.3 the other phone said no signal at all and also didn't work. what do I need to fix or change?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmb7684 View Post
    OK I have one phone that shows 1 bar on the signal with the gevy sim removed and a brand new micro SIM card that was updated from tmobile with my number. it does not say tmobile next to the signal. so im sure its a setting or someting I need to change? this is the phone that is on 4.3.3 the other phone said no signal at all and also didn't work. what do I need to fix or change?
    Did you restore them?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

cmb7684 (07-06-2013), Cowboy (07-06-2013)

Thanks

+1

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

cmb7684 (07-06-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

On the IP4 with the 4.3.3 installed which was the second IMEI number provided when I removed the gevy sim and placed a new Tmobile micro sim that is activated with my number I inserted it in the phone and the tmobile display that was there with gevy sim installed went away and it only showed one bar on signal strength. It would not work. I changed to airplane mode and then turned it off and it now says invalid sim as if it is not yet unlocked? When I reboot the phone it goes back to showing one bar signal strength with no provider and does not work. When I remove the sim and put it back in it will at times tell me invalid sim and other times tell me just no signal if the one bar goes away. If you are referring to going into the settings in the general option and going to reset I have reset the network settings and I have restored where it saves the data and media but resets all other settings and I still cannot get it to work. What else can I try?

The second phone which was the first IMEI number provided it just said No signal when I installed its new activated Micro sim purchased also brand new today. So that phone has been backed up so I tried to software update to 6.1.3 from the phone update software option and after it downloaded the firmware and it been just rebooting with the apple sign on the display over and over again and will not start the phone? Even prior to the updater I could not get it to come off of no signal with gevy sim removed and new sim placed in the tray? It will now not reboot to the home screen at all. After the software update the loading bar went all the way through and when it powered down and powered back up to reboot the apple sign came on and stays for a while then shuts off and then will later reappear as if it is trying to power on but just cant. I tried holding down the power button and home to reboot and even let it lose all its power and then charge to come back on and its the same thing where the apple sign comes on the display and goes away and comes back on. When I connect to the computer in iTunes the phone is not showing on iTunes at all.

*****UPDATE**********

ok the phone on 4.3.3 I connected to iTunes and unplugged it while in the middle of sync. it went into recovery mode and the I rebooted it by holding the power and home button and when it repowered it had a tmobile sign and signal. so it worked but I have rebooted it about 100 times today ..it had everything to do with getting the phone to show the iTunes symbol with the white usb cord on the display.

I used a similar process on the phone that will not boot and it is now in recovery mode and im using iTunes to recover and complete its update. ill post back in a few when its done to see if that one is ok.
    Last edited by cmb7684; 07-06-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks

Wow, you made that a lot more confusing than it had to be. All you had to do was restore each phone in iTunes (not update button, restore button). Then they both would have activated fine on 6.1.3 after the restore with your t-mobile sim.

The reason you weren't getting signal on 4.3.3 was because the phone was most likely hactivated with redsnow or some similar jailbreak tool. Unofficial unlocks like gevey sims work on hactivated phones. Official unlocks do not. That hactivation needs to be removed for iTunes to activate the official unlock. Easiest way to do this is a restore (a update will not, has to be restore). This can also be achieved with redsnows deactivation setting for people who don't want to have to restore.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Also it's not a good idea to unplug your phone in the middle of a sync or a restore. You can potentially damage your phone that way. You can manually enter recovery mode or dfu mode if you want to restore. I prefer dfu mode which can be entered by simply plugging in phone, then hold home and power button for 10 seconds, then let go of power button and keep holding home button for 10 seconds. iTunes will pop up saying your phone is in recovery, your iPhone screen should be blank. Recovery mode is similar with difference being iPhone screen shows cable and iTunes logo on it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

cmb7684 (07-06-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

OK! After several attempts to recover and toying with the process of getting the phone to take a recovery. I now have both phones up and running. The phone that wouldn't start is now completely set up as new without any jailbreak or modified software on apple's 6.1.3 with modem fw of 04.12.05 and is running fine on tmobile without any gevy sims.

My other phone is running fine and unlocked without any gevy sims on IOS 4.3.3 and still on modem FW of 04.10.01.

On both phones I have noticed that at first they would go to no signal or a low low signal often and it wasn't like that before but now that is has been sitting for a while they seem to be pretty steady at 3 signal bars full. Is this a matter of it adjusting still or any issue of concern?

Thanks to all and thank you cowboy for unlocking it.

Thanks

Non problem thank you simon for the helping hand and sorting