+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: did anyone buy the tmobile iphone 5?

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
did you get it yet? do you like it? what ios version did it come with?
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default did anyone buy the tmobile iphone 5?
    did you get it yet? do you like it? what ios version did it come with?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

didn't buy it, but do have iphone 5 unlocked on tmobile network.
    i'm pretty sure the one sold in the store run the latest ios 6.1.3 like all iphones.

the only difference from an att iphone 5 (older A1428) and a tmobile iphone 5 on tmobile network is HSPA+ 42 (LTE AWS).

4g speed is good and haven't seen LTE in my area yet.

Thanks

Just out of curiosity, have been to 3 different t-mobile locations to try out their iphone5. The demo models I've tried are on version 6.1.2, and one store was on carrier 14.0. The others had 14.1. What I did notice was that the data was extremely slow on 14.1 compared to the 14.0. I myself did the carrier update on my i5 and noticed the same. I was able to revert to 14.0, and now my speeds are noticeably better. I'm wondering if day one sales of Tmobile's official iPhone are on version 6.1.2.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mustangfrnk For This Useful Post:

thunderwolf333 (04-12-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,527 Times in 5,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mustangfrnk View Post
    Just out of curiosity, have been to 3 different t-mobile locations to try out their iphone5. The demo models I've tried are on version 6.1.2, and one store was on carrier 14.0. The others had 14.1. What I did notice was that the data was extremely slow on 14.1 compared to the 14.0. I myself did the carrier update on my i5 and noticed the same. I was able to revert to 14.0, and now my speeds are noticeably better. I'm wondering if day one sales of Tmobile's official iPhone are on version 6.1.2.
    May I ask how you were able to go back to 14.0? Since update my phone is about 50% slower with download speeds and had a few dropped calls (which has never happened to me in 5 years on T-Mo.
    Posting a Tutorial thread may help many members with the same issue.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustangfrnk View Post
    thanks this is the answer I was looking for! so I guess they're still jailbreakable. but the 5s is coming out soon so I probably will not get it.

also I did the carrier update on my 4 and I haven't noticed any slowdown... maybe this is unique to the 5?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thunderwolf333 View Post

also I did the carrier update on my 4 and I haven't noticed any slowdown... maybe this is unique to the 5?
    Same issue on my 4s and 5, so it's not the phone. My 3G speeds were faster then the 4G I get now and the reception is and 30% less in signal bars shown as well as Speed Tests.

Thanks

I, too, am seeing about a halving in effective speeds after the T-Mobile update on my i5. Signal strength seems about the same in dBm (and I'm connecting to the same cell sites as before when I check with Field Test).

I wonder if it's the APN that T-Mo now uses for the iPhone... or maybe just a huge influx of phones... or something more sinister?

I think the slower data speeds are a result of T-Mobile editing the APNs in the 14.1 carrier update.

^This was done on the "fast.t-mobile.com" APN. LAN IP address assigned out of 100.134.0.0/16 (and I think that the network actually assigns out of 100.128.0.0/9 globally). WAN IP address 208.54.40.0/24.

^This one was done on "epc.tmobile.com." LAN IP address was 22.32.0.0/16, WAN 208.54.38.0/24.
    Last edited by Orby; 04-12-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks

For me, it doesn't matter what APN I use on either phone, kinda bummed out. Heading to T-Mo after work to see what they say.

Thanks

If you're not JB and on 6.1.2, just erase all content and settings, and just do a backup from iTunes or iCloud, from before the carrier update. If you are, download http://v.backspace.jp/repo/
    From cydia. Download the commcenter patch first, then the carrier update remover. After the carrier update remover is installed, remove it, and each download that was installed with it. Do the same with the commcenter patch. Then do a backup from before the carrier update. Turn the phone off, then back on. That's how I was able to revert back to 14.0.
    All is working as it was before the update.
    Last edited by mustangfrnk; 04-12-2013 at 04:13 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mustangfrnk For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (04-12-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well I did the same thing without using commcenter patch and its works just fine. Back to 14.0 just had to manually install Apn and mms info again.

Thanks

Glad to hear. I guess it'll work differently on certain devices.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My speed has gotten faster on my unlocked iP5

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

is the HSPA+ 42 (LTE AWS) a sw patch or hardware upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by nrgonline View Post
    d

the only difference from an att iphone 5 (older A1428) and a tmobile iphone 5 on tmobile network is HSPA+ 42 (LTE AWS).

4g speed is good and haven't seen LTE in my area yet.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,322 Times in 5,975 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    SW patch
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    In short Tmobile has:
    HSPA and HSPA+ on(pcs)
    HSPA and HSPA+ on(aws)
    LTE on (aws)

Tmobile is reframing HSPA and HSPA+ off of (AWS) on to (pcs) making room for more LTE on (AWS). Once metro pcs merger is complete tmobile will have a blanket of 1700mhz(upload)/2100mhz(download) spectrum for LTE coverage.
    Last edited by osofast240sx; 04-13-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Awesome!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I bought 3 i5's for tmobile and they run pretty fast data. I did change the apn's to epc since that got better speeds for me (could be a placebo affect though). Overall very satisfied, they all run fast and get great signal in phoenix.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default 14.1 and 6.1.3
    The tmobile i5 I picked up last Friday came with carrier bundle 14.1 and was running 6.1.3.

Not jailbreakable yet.

I like the phone just fine, but I really don't think it was worth the upgrade from the unlocked/jailbroken iphone 4 I was using before. I don't live in an LTE city, but the 3g I was getting on the 4 wasn't much slower than the 4g on the iphone5. Non-iMessage group texts only work half the time.
    Last edited by Ibaad; 04-18-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I went from a jb i4 6.1.2 to a i5 on 6.1.3. After going to a tmobile store and seeing 6.1.2 on display I took a chance with a 32gb..and of course I was disappointed to see the wrong firmware when it arrived in the mail. After a few calls to tmobile and several failed attempts at explaining why I wanted 6.1.2 I gave up. I was told by the rep that I could send it back for an exchange but I would most likely be faced with the same problem.

The speed of the 5 compared to the 4 almost makes it worth the upgrade but having a stock iphone is not something I'm used to.

Thanks

Recently replaced my I5 and then power button started having issues, while on vacay. I had to make a Genius Bar appt to replace it. I was on 6.1.2, factory unlocked AT&T version, no carrier update to keep my decent speeds, but edge was really crappy. I got a replacement, NE model, but on 6.1.3. Speeds are really awesome where I'm on vacay, but can't wait to see how it fares when I travel back home, to see the difference. I will say I am impressed with the new version. I'm def getting better indoor data and No "E"!
    And no carrier update.

Edit: Had to replace iPhone again the next day, something loose inside, had a rattle noise, and this time around I got an ME model with 6.1.2. 😊
    Last edited by mustangfrnk; 04-30-2013 at 10:11 PM.