+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G setting causes phone to lose connectivity

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have a 3GS that is acting a bit flakey. Yesterday I downgraded the baseband and while my phone does seem to be a bit more stable a day later
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3G setting causes phone to lose connectivity
    I have a 3GS that is acting a bit flakey.

Yesterday I downgraded the baseband and while my phone does seem to be a bit more stable a day later I did find an issue with the 3G setting. Where I work, 3G is here but in and out while at home I get full 3G. Here's the situation and problem: At work, after I end a call and having the phone's 3G setting turned I see the phone's signal bars will drop to 0 and then lose all signal and it will go to search and will stay there for at least a full minute before cycling back whereas when I turn off the 3G switch the phone acts completely normal when I end a call, no loss of signal. Strangely while at home where I have full 3G and the phone's 3G switch on the phone acts normal through all modes, no loss of signal.

Any ideas on this one (3GS, 5.1.1, 5.13.04 build of '09 week 20)? Would going to an iphone 4 help this issue or is it symptomatic of jailbreaking?

Thanks

Did u try n just turn 3G off while at work location?... Wouldn't really be symptomatic of jailbreaking... Sounds like maybe your work location is just on ragged edge of coverage... Try turning off 3G n use edge data... That's what I used to do at work.. Would switch off 3G n use edge.. I couldn't get a call out but I could text..then they moved me n can't even get that..fortunately iOS 5 gave iMessage n I have wifi there too...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah, that's what I've had to do. Kind of stinks but I'll live with it for now. Would you know though if this is symptomatic of the 3GS? If I moved up to a 4 series would this issue go away?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, this also happens on my iPhone 4 on iOS5.0.1 at home. The phone will always try and search for a cell tower with 3G if my 3G is turned on. But as I am on the edge of 3G coverage the signal strength is 1 bar. Turning 3G off causes the signal strength to jump upto 4 bars as it switches to a nearer non 3G tower. This is quite normal.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Dave View Post
    Hi, this also happens on my iPhone 4 on iOS5.0.1 at home. The phone will always try and search for a cell tower with 3G if my 3G is turned on. But as I am on the edge of 3G coverage the signal strength is 1 bar. Turning 3G off causes the signal strength to jump upto 4 bars as it switches to a nearer non 3G tower. This is quite normal.
    Thanks Dave, your reply saved me some $$.

I was hoping it was more a problem with T-Mo and not the phone. I was contemplating spending the money to move up to a 4 in hopes that it would resolve this problem.

Still though, you'd think that the phone's switching from 3G to E would take that long.

Joe