Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Completed: T-Mobile Unlocked with MMS 3Gs updated to iOS 5.1

Post Completed: T-Mobile Unlocked with MMS 3Gs updated to iOS 5.1
    Completed: T-Mobile Unlocked with MMS 3Gs updated to iOS 5.1

Hardware:

Iphone 3Gs on 4.3.3, Serial No. 84932.. -> (32nd week of 2009) modem baseband 05.12.01

Background:

After ATT contract was up, (ATT is evil) switched to T-Mobile and never looked back.

Result:

iPhone 3Gs on 5.1 untethered jailbreak and STILL have the original modem baseband 05.12.01

Credits:

After following threads on here and several tutorials and couple of youtube videos, I have an iphone 3Gs that is fast, smooth and works perfectly on iOS 5.1 in every respect. So many new features and capabilities. Battery life and everything is better than iOS 4.3.3

Thanks MMI, devteam, iClarified, and so many others across the net.

--------------------------------------------------

The above can be done via several methods and in different sequences etc.

Installed iTunes 10.5.3.3 (temporarily since I use MediaMonkey Gold) then removed iTunes like it was never installed by restoring my C drive partition using Acronis Image.

7:33 AM 4/19/2012
    Followed this tutorial:

How to Upgrade Your iPhone to iOS 5.1 Without Updating Your Baseband (Win)
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Upgrade Your iPhone to iOS 5.1 Without Updating Your Baseband (Win)

These are instructions on how to upgrade your iPhone 4 GSM or iPhone 3GS to iOS 5.1 without updating your baseband using Windows. This will maintain the potential to unlock if you are on a supported baseband.

Please note this jailbreak is tethered for every device EXCEPT FOR the old bootrom iPhone 3GS which means you will need to connect your device to the computer each time you reboot. Also, it may be prudent to save your SHSH Blobs if you haven't already.

Step One
    Download the latest version of RedSn0w from here and place it in a Pwnage folder on your Desktop. redsn0w_win_0.9.10b6 is the latest version as of 04-20-12.

Step Two
    Download the iOS 5.1 firmware for your device from here and place it in the same Pwnage folder.

Step Three
    Extract the RedSn0w archive then right click the RedSn0w executable (from within the extracted folder) and select Run as Administrator to launch the application.

Step Four
    Click Extras from the RedSn0w main menu.

Step Five
    Click Custom IPSW from the Extras menu.

Step Six
    Select your iOS 5.1 firmware from the Pwnage folder on your Desktop and click Open.

If you are using the iPhone 3GS you may be asked to identify whether you are on a newer or older model.

My iphone 3GS has the older bootrom and NOT the newer fixed bootrom made during week 45 or later.

4th and 5th digit of serial number of mine shows mine was made in the 32nd week of 2009.
    my iphone 3GS serial number is: 84932...

Step Seven
    RedSn0w will now create and customize an IPSW file that will preserve your baseband.

Step Eight
    RedSn0w will inform you once your IPSW has been created successfully. Click the OK button.

I now have created a 'Custom IPSW' to preserve baseband
    filename: NO_BB_OLDROM_iPhone2,1_5.1_9B176_Restore.ipsw

----------------------------------------
    Close redsn0w for now.

Navigate to Windows > System32 > drivers > etc on PC.
    Locate a file named hosts and make a backup copy of it then open it up with a text editor.

Add these lines below to the bottom of the hosts and save the file:

74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

----------------------------------------

Start redsn0w version 0.9.10b6

Step Nine
    Click Pwned DFU from the Extras menu.

Step Ten
    Connect your device to the computer via USB and power it off. Then click the Next button to continue.

Steps Eleven Twelve Thirteen
    Got iphone in Pwned DFU mode.

Step Fourteen
    You device will now be exploited with LimeRa1n.

Step Fifteen
    Once its done you will be in Pwned DFU mode.

Step Sixteen
    Launch iTunes by clicking its icon in the dock. (using same version used for updating from 3.1.3 to 5.0.1 which was iTunes version 10.5.3.3)
    iTunes message box appears saying it needs to check iPhone software update server to identify device.

Click 'Check' button. (iTunes can only connect to the hosts file at this point and not the apple servers).

You will now see the nice box we were waiting for :-)

"iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes."

Click OK button on the above box.
    Step Seventeen
    Select your device from the list on the left, then hold down the Shift key and click Restore.

Step Eighteen
    Select the NO_BB custom IPSW (created above) from the Pwnage folder on your desktop and click Open.

Step Nineteen
    You iPhone will now be upgraded to iOS 5.1 without updating the baseband chip.

----------------------------------

Note when my iPhone 3gs finally rebooted the main screen showed up with:

"message to insert a valid SIM card in order to activate the phone"
    The "Slide Menu" displayed 'Configure' in several different languages.

At this point my iPhone 3gs was upgraded to 5.1 firmware but NOT ACTIVATED.

iTunes shows this message:
    There is no SIM card installed in the iPhone you are attempting to activate.
    Please disconnect and insert a SIM card in the iPhone.

--------------------------------------------
    NEXT procedures follow below:

JAILBREAK AND INSTALL CYDIA
    Follow these instructions to jailbreak your device on the new iOS 5.1 firmware.

These are instructions on how to jailbreak your iPhone 3GS on the iOS 5.1 firmware using RedSn0w for Windows.

Launch the redsn0w application from the redsn0w folder we extracted earlier.

**Windows 7 users may want to try running the redsn0w executable mode as an administrator in Windows Vista compatibility. You can do this by right clicking the executable and selecting Properties from the contextual menu.**

Once RedSn0w opens click the Jailbreak button (Jailbreak and install Cydia)

Plug your iPhone into the computer and make sure it is OFF then click the Next button.

RedSn0w will now guide you through the steps to get into DFU mode.

Your iPhone will now reboot.

Select only 'Install Cydia' from the list of options and click Next.
    (DO NOT INSTALL iPad Baseband if you have the older style non-fixed baseband on your 3Gs.)

Your iPhone will now be rebooted again and RedSn0w will begin uploading the new RAM Disk and Kernel.

(Your iPhone screen will have a picture of a hard drive and green arrow)

Once this is complete you will be notified that RedSn0w is done.
    "The rest of this process takes place on your device"

(Your iPhone screen will have a walking pineapple photo)

When your iPhone finishes rebooting (5 minutes or so) it will be jailbroken with Cydia on the SpringBoard.

NOTE when phone reboots you will have a 'gray' screen with white letters saying: iPhone

Go through the the iOS 5.1 setup menus:

(Tap the following as appropriate)
    English
    USA
    Disable Location Services
    Choose WiFi network
    Set Up as New iPhone
    "Skip this Step" (lower right hand corner) for 'Sign in with an Apple ID' which avoids iCloud which is lame.
    Agree (Terms & Conditions)
    "Don't Send" (Diagnostics & Usage)
    Start Using iPhone

Reboot phone holding power and home button until phone reboots.

UNLOCK for T-Mobile:

START HERE FOR UNLOCKING USING ULTRASNOW VIA CYDIA

REMOVE T-MOBILE SIM CARD.

Make sure you connect your iPhone 3Gs to your local Wi-Fi connection then:

Open the Cydia App and start it (first time opening it select "User")

Be patient and let all Cydia packages load until they are all loaded.

Tap Manage Sources
    Tap 'Edit' and then Tap 'Add'

Enter Cydia/APT URL:
    repo.iparelhos.com

Tap "Return to Cydia" when prompted.

Tap iParelhos source: (ultrasn0w fixer for 5.1 should be listed)

Install ultrasn0w fixer for 5.1

Select: 'Dev Team' source
    Select: ultrasn0w (from Dev Team Utilities)

Install ultrasn0w 1.2.5

Reboot iPhone by holding power and sleep button at same time until phone reboots.

Prior to Inserting a T-Mobile SIM card:

To avoid SIM issues that the 3Gs can have with 5.0.1 and 5.1 which causes continuing intermittent rebooting of the 3Gs:

Enable 3G and cellular data in Setting/General/Network
    Insert your T-Mobile SIM card.

Now the T-Mobile network will authenticate your T-Mobile SIM via 3G and not GSM.
    Important: After about 3 minutes turn off 3G and cellular data.

T-Mobile should now work normally and the periodic automatic rebooting 3Gs bug found in iOS5 which affects T-Mobile phones authenticated as GSM should not affect your 3Gs.

Tested phone for voice calls and everything worked great. Tested Edge data after turning off Wi-Fi and loading a few websites using the Edge data network and all was great.

.................................................. ........................
    Next is to setup MMS on iPhone for T-Mobile
    .................................................. ........................

Found this video and downloaded file via Youtube and it worked great:

How_To_Get_MMS_On_iPhone_4_3Gs_3G_2G_Tmobile_Any_F irmware
    _5_0_1_5_0_4_3_5_4_2_1_3_1_3_Data(3).flv

Personal Preference:
    Before proceeding with below info. I have found it helpful to go to:
    Settings/General/Network/Cellular Data Network and perform a 'Reset Settings'

Verify that the 'Cellular Data Network' tab is present by going to Settings/General/Network
    Note: all values for the Cellular Data Network should be empty or blank.

Step 1
    Start Cydia (let all packages load)

Tap 'Manage' button at bottom
    Tap 'Sources'
    Tap Edit button and then Add button

At prompt: 'Enter Cydia/APT URL'
    type in http://beta.leimobile.com/repo

Tap 'Add Source'

After Source has loaded:

Tap 'Return to Cydia' button and you will see LEIMobile

Open the LEIMobile repository

Scroll down and look for 'T-Mobile MMS Fix'

Tap 'T-Mobile MMS Fix' (current version is 1.0.1 as of 04-19-12)
    Tap 'Install' and 'Confirm'

Tap the 'Reboot Device' button that appears after the install.

Step 2
    Once iPhone has restarted:

Go to Task Switcher and 'Close' the Cydia app.

Go to Settings/General/Network/Cellular Data Network

Two Sections need to be filled in: They are "APN" for cellular data and "APN" for MMS
    (note: all other sections will already be filled with correct values via the LEIMobile package).

"APN" for cellular data, enter this value: epc.tmobile.com
    "APN" for MMS, enter this value: wap.voicestream.com

--------------------------------
    Just for reference the below values are created by the leimobile Tmobile MMS fix and saved in plist files on device.

MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080
    MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf
    --------------------------------

Tested sending and receiving text messages with and without pictures... all messages sent and received to and from iPhones and Android phones worked great.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:

Install: No Update
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.4
    Developer: greensnow
    Repo: Modmyi
    Keep Apple from trying to update your iOS 5.1 using Apple automatic OTA updates!!

RUN TINY UMBRELLA and backup all shsh blobs from your phone and save them.
    Last edited by zeppy; 04-22-2012 at 07:20 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zeppy For This Useful Post:

beav626 (04-27-2012), dcclegman (05-21-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone beav626's Avatar
    Thanks

nice

Cool I'm on 5.01 tmobile and have a 3GS too. I've only jailbroken with sn0wbreeze. I'm ready to update so thanks for the info.

i am new to this but i want to give it a shot with the above directions. I have a 3gs unlocked and jailbroken for tmobile. serial 84948...and modem firmware 06.15.0, version 4.1. do i have the older version bootrom and will the upgrade as explained work on my phone

Quote Originally Posted by dcclegman View Post
    i am new to this but i want to give it a shot with the above directions. I have a 3gs unlocked and jailbroken for tmobile. serial 84948...and modem firmware 06.15.0, version 4.1. do i have the older version bootrom and will the upgrade as explained work on my phone
    You should have the newer bootrom on your 3Gs so follow the prompt in redsnow when it asks you, you should select 'new bootrom' after you do a search to verify your serial number and whether or not you have the older bootrom or newer bootrom for 2009 models.

Prior to installing (restore via itunes) your new OS you MUST use redsnow to create a 'Custom Firmware' which will preserve the baseband that you have. All basebands that are unlockable for use with another GSM carrier MUST always create and then restore to a 'Custom Firmware' and this includes baseband 6.1.5.

Read up on the subject and then just use my post above and you will be fine as long as you create and install the custom firmware via redsnow and itunes.

To help with battery life on a 3G or 3Gs with the ipad 6.1.5 baseband, after the restore and jailbreak, I always run redsnow 'Jailbreak' again and choose the 'Deactivate Option' for the 3G or 3Gs.

Next I hook up the phone to iTunes and insert any At&t SIM card to let iTunes activate the phone to the official carrier in this case At&t that itunes knows the phone is locked to.

This official 'carrier activation' through an authorized SIM saves battery life because the service daemon is not constantly running all of the time because the redsnow 'hactivation' causes the service daemon to run all the time but an official SIM card activation via itunes will not.

Then I remove the At&t SIM card and open up Cydia on the jailbroken phone and install latest version of ultrasnow (and ultrasnow fixer for 5.1 if on the 5.1 firmware) and phone then works on any GSM carrier like T-Mobile just fine.

Then do the LEIMOBILE part above in the OP for MMS messaging etc.

Best to you and more reading and planning and keep asking good questions.

Last edited by zeppy; 05-22-2012 at 08:42 AM.

Step Two
    Download the iOS 5.1 firmware for your device from here and place it in the same Pwnage folder.

When I do this it saves it as a zip file. I extract it and it saves as a folder with 5 files and a subfolder with 3 folders in it. I go to step 6 and it doesnt recognize the files. In the tutorial pictures the ios ipws folder has an icon that looks like a lego block. Mine does not show that file in the same way.

How do i rectify this situation. I am using Windows 7
    Thanks for the help.

I got it! Thanks for the great instructions. Works perfect.

Used this thread found in this forum: (won't let me put in the URL)
    zeppy; Completed: T-Mobile Unlocked with MMS 3Gs updated to iOS 5.1

any idea whether T-Mobile will start selling the iPhone or unlocked users like me getting 3G/4G?