+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 88

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Help!!! Message Send Failure on iPhone 4s 5.1

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
i tried to restore but theres some error now the phone is in recovery mode dont know what to do
...
  1. #21
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    i tried to restore but theres some error now the phone is in recovery mode dont know what to do

  2. #22
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Wow This is the exact problem I'm having and have not been able to find many people with the same issue. Also using T-Mobile here with a data plan and everything

    I have an Iphone 4s 5.1 2.0.10

    Followed your guide and it got me further than ever before with regards to APN settings in the cell network, and it also for the first time asked me to put 'my number' in the Phone option.

    But the problem I'm having is the one stated above. Being used with T-Mobile and a Gevey ULTRA S chip, I can not send text messages to regular numbers. iMessage works if you set up an email, and sends messages through my email no problem, however it does not attach the number to the email or imessage for Iphone customers.(I Guess its iTouch mode)

    I DID SOMEHOW by MAGIC it seems, get the text messaging to work. It just happened to work by itself after one of many fresh restores, and I had not done anything in specific different than before, or different than what I'm trying now... But it just worked before, and worked for almost 4 days, until i rebooted my phone's power, and it no longer worked after I turned it back on.. This gives me hope that it works, but has not been able to narrow down what is exactly going on... The GEVEY chip unlocks the phone no problem, so I'm not sure its a problem there, but the text messaging is not being sent. Although can ALWAYS receive text messages from anyone.

    I'm not sure what's going on, but i also just changed the system preferences under ip3, as suggested.. Playing around with the phone and will do several fresh restores with editing the backup, and hopefully it works..

    Just shooting darts in the dark it feels like at this point..

    westc0ast has been the most knowledgable and helpful person I've noticed anywhere on my searches, so thank you and everyone else so much for your time spent.

    I'm actually starting to believe these MMS issues with the APN, and the text messaging(SMS) issue are two completely isolated problems.

    My safari browser and edge internet works on every app and has had no problem connecting from plugging in the gevey chip. It was plug and play to make it work as long as the plan on the service is appropriate.. but something as basic as text messaging can not be sent to regular numbers.. Theres a weird reason behind this..
    Last edited by darkmanx1; 04-14-2012 at 04:17 AM.

  3. #23
    iPhoneaholic westc0ast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    347
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 44 Times in 36 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by darkmanx1 View Post
    Wow This is the exact problem I'm having and have not been able to find many people with the same issue. Also using T-Mobile here with a data plan and everything

    I have an Iphone 4s 5.1 2.0.10

    Followed your guide and it got me further than ever before with regards to APN settings in the cell network, and it also for the first time asked me to put 'my number' in the Phone option.

    But the problem I'm having is the one stated above. Being used with T-Mobile and a Gevey ULTRA S chip, I can not send text messages to regular numbers. iMessage works if you set up an email, and sends messages through my email no problem, however it does not attach the number to the email or imessage for Iphone customers.(I Guess its iTouch mode)

    I DID SOMEHOW by MAGIC it seems, get the text messaging to work. It just happened to work by itself after one of many fresh restores, and I had not done anything in specific different than before, or different than what I'm trying now... But it just worked before, and worked for almost 4 days, until i rebooted my phone's power, and it no longer worked after I turned it back on.. This gives me hope that it works, but has not been able to narrow down what is exactly going on... The GEVEY chip unlocks the phone no problem, so I'm not sure its a problem there, but the text messaging is not being sent. Although can ALWAYS receive text messages from anyone.

    I'm not sure what's going on, but i also just changed the system preferences under ip3, as suggested.. Playing around with the phone and will do several fresh restores with editing the backup, and hopefully it works..

    Just shooting darts in the dark it feels like at this point..

    westc0ast has been the most knowledgable and helpful person I've noticed anywhere on my searches, so thank you and everyone else so much for your time spent.

    I'm actually starting to believe these MMS issues with the APN, and the text messaging(SMS) issue are two completely isolated problems.

    My safari browser and edge internet works on every app and has had no problem connecting from plugging in the gevey chip. It was plug and play to make it work as long as the plan on the service is appropriate.. but something as basic as text messaging can not be sent to regular numbers.. Theres a weird reason behind this..
    Remember that if you use have a data plan you should probably use epc.tmobile.com or internet2.voicestream.com as your apn.
    And the reason for ip3 edit in preferences.plist is only if you don't have the network settings tab.
    I use epc.tmobile.com for both apns (cell data & mms). I have the unlimited 2gig data plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by shortie_gurl View Post
    i tried to restore but theres some error now the phone is in recovery mode dont know what to do
    Sorry to hear that don't worry it shouldn't be hard to fix.
    1. Did you use dfu mode when you did your restore?(you should)
    2.did you put an AT&T sim before you restored?(I always do)
    3. Have you tried tinyumbrella or something like that to exit recovery mode?
    Last edited by westc0ast; 04-14-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    All information contained in my post came to me in a dream. I don't even own an iphone.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to westc0ast For This Useful Post:

    darkmanx1 (04-14-2012)

  5. #24
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Okay I successfully restored the phone the text message did go through no more messages send failure but the receiver didn't received text....

  6. #25
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by westc0ast View Post
    Remember that if you use have a data plan you should probably use epc.tmobile.com or internet2.voicestream.com as your apn.
    And the reason for ip3 edit in preferences.plist is only if you don't have the network settings tab.
    I use epc.tmobile.com for both apns (cell data & mms). I have the unlimited 2gig data plan.


    Sorry to hear that don't worry it shouldn't be hard to fix.
    1. Did you use dfu mode when you did your restore?(you should)
    2.did you put an AT&T sim before you restored?(I always do)
    3. Have you tried tinyumbrella or something like that to exit recovery mode?
    Yes the data plan works no problem plug and play with the GEVEY chip, safari and everything works except for text messaging. iMessage also works on the network's internet, but only shows up as my text being sent through email.

    When your process is first applied to the computer after restore, it allows me to ONCE go into network, and edit cell network settings. (it only allows this once, after I set it and hit network back into settings, it will never let me go back into this unless i restore and change the plist again)

    After doing the original mms.plist edit, and setting these network settings.. If i go back into the backup file, the backup file in System/Preferences, it shows ip3 is still wap.cingular so I edited it again. My question is, should I edit these both in all one shot, after a fresh restore, or one after the next like I have been doing.

    So far, i Had success once with the MMS being detected after these settings were edited, andd the phone asked me "MMS needs a phone number" and it was the FIRST time the phone allowed my phone number to populate in the "General>Phone>Number" section, as it let me edit it, and wouldn't let me save until network signal was fully there. But it did work with having my phone number registered to the device. I thought this would then allow iMessage and Facetime to have "Receive at Phone number" along with the Receive at email, but it DID NOT recognize the number from the phone section.

    I'll try the other APN setting i guess with internet2.voicestream, but I was up for HOURS last night trying every which way to go about this, and its just odd the SMS doesn't send by applying a certain method, but fixed itself a few days ago by itself.. Makes no sense.

    Sorry for being long winded, trying to include as many of my trials and tribulations as possible.

    NOTE: Also, for people not being able to edit and restore their plist from iBackupbot. It needs to be SAVED, and restored from iTunes from backup, for it to work properly. Just hitting the restore button on iBackupbot doesn't do it for me.

    Thanks again

    Quote Originally Posted by shortie_gurl View Post
    Okay I successfully restored the phone the text message did go through no more messages send failure but the receiver didn't received text....
    Did you do anything in specific to get it to go through other than just another restore?

    Ok.. A little twist in the story

    Deleted all backups and devices from iTunes, deleted the .ipsw file so it had to download the 5.1 software again from apple. (Everything fresh i would assume)

    Restored phone again, plugged in Gevey, and for the first time, if you catch it early on, you can go into Network settings, and adjust the APN, same as I have been able to do after I edited the .plist file. So I'm thinking the .plist didn't do anything with regards to this step, it may allow me to get further with MMS, but I don't think Thats whats causing an issue with the SMS. I HAVE NOT edited the .plist on this new restore, and it seems to be acting like I have.

    Now the edge is activated only through the Data roaming being on, as opposed to how Gevey was automatically detecting it before (when you dont adjust the APN settings)

    I don't know what else to try anymore..
    Last edited by darkmanx1; 04-14-2012 at 01:32 PM.

  7. #26
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Can confirm that the network settings can be edited in the time Gevey is 'searching' and trying to unlock. Only issue it seems, is that it doesn't seem to retail this information, after a reboot. I can not confirm if it retains it after you hit set it and ex out.

    There are way to many variables that could be going wrong here, but again I argue, the MMS issue should not effect the SMS of the phone. SMS is a basic functionality that should plug and work into anyphone..

    I think this is a Gevey v1.6 issue

    I REALLY DONT KNOW THO. Ha!

    BlAH!

  8. #27
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    I just did a fresh restore....SMS is working now!!! Thank you guys!! But I'm afraid to change the setting for mms to work I don't know if it will mess up my SMS again

  9. #28
    iPhoneaholic westc0ast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    347
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 44 Times in 36 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by shortie_gurl View Post
    Okay I successfully restored the phone the text message did go through no more messages send failure but the receiver didn't received text....
    Can you txt yourself?
    Did you do the mms_override.plist yet?

    For darkmanx1 after gevey finishes searching it loads the carrier bundle. That's why you can edit while searching then doesn't retain settings.thatsvwhy you need to backup after gevey is connected so you can check for proper code in mms_override.plist.
    Last edited by westc0ast; 04-14-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    All information contained in my post came to me in a dream. I don't even own an iphone.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to westc0ast For This Useful Post:

    darkmanx1 (04-14-2012)

  11. #29
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by shortie_gurl View Post
    I just did a fresh restore....SMS is working now!!! Thank you guys!! But I'm afraid to change the setting for mms to work I don't know if it will mess up my SMS again
    Did you do anything different with your restore that could help me?

    Quote Originally Posted by westc0ast View Post
    Can you txt yourself?
    Did you do the mms_override.plist yet?

    For darkmanx1 after gevey finishes searching it loads the carrier bundle. That's why you can edit while searching then doesn't retain settings.thatsvwhy you need to backup after gevey is connected so you can check for proper code in mms_override.plist.
    ahh.. I see

    So even though I've edited the settings so far, i should back it up and restore it again with the correct .plist? It working on edge only with data roaming on and has no E without it. (Same symptom as when it had accurate mms settings i think)

    Still no texting though, spoke to T-Mobile and they were no help either.. Emailed applenberry for tech support, trying a different gevey ultra S sim today from a friend's store, incase mine is defective. (Dont think it is, just narrowing things down) Trying everything here..
    Last edited by darkmanx1; 04-14-2012 at 03:42 PM.

  12. #30
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by darkmanx1 View Post
    Did you do anything different with your restore that could help me?



    ahh.. I see

    So even though I've edited the settings so far, i should back it up and restore it again with the correct .plist? It working on edge only with data roaming on and has no E without it. (Same symptom as when it had accurate mms settings i think)

    Still no texting though, spoke to T-Mobile and they were no help either.. Emailed applenberry for tech support, trying a different gevey ultra S sim today from a friend's store, incase mine is defective. (Dont think it is, just narrowing things down) Trying everything here..
    I changed the SMS center number

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to shortie_gurl For This Useful Post:

    darkmanx1 (04-14-2012)

  14. #31
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by shortie_gurl View Post
    I changed the SMS center number
    How can I do that? Please explain

    westc0ast: Backed up after gevey was in with appropriate APN settings. Went to iBackupbot and noticed the plist needed to be altered to yours, and settings/preferences still said cingular, so i changed these. Saved, and restored phone all over from back up.

    Still seems when the Gevey is populating the carrier load, and when it allows me to go into the network settings, its still blank everytime I reboot. It might or might not retain it after i save(hit network out), but it definitely doesn't seem to retain the network after a reboot at all, even after changing plists.

    Suggestions? Still no text.. hoping this SMS center changes something for me? This seems relevant, because the messages seem to fail in the last few percentages of the message bar. This is the same time I feel it detects if the recipient is an iMessage user or not. It is at this last step it gets hung up and fails, when it realizes it's just a text message and not an iMessage. Weird
    Last edited by darkmanx1; 04-14-2012 at 04:03 PM.

  15. #32
    iPhoneaholic westc0ast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    347
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 44 Times in 36 Posts

    With gevey roaming needs to be on.
    What do you mean SMS center number?

  16. #33
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    ok So I backed it up again after gevey, and edited the file, and restored again.

    It seems to only retain the top line for APN: epc.tmobile.com

    the rest of the MMSC and MMUA information needs to be put back in everytime the phone allows me to go into this setting during Gevey's loading process.

    I don't know if this means its retaining it or not, but using a APN changer profile allows ip1 in the .plist to have an option to edit epc.tmobile. before it didn't have any carrier mention in it. (Something i noticed)

    still no texting, I've restored this phone in a billion diff ways, and tried everything so far. KEEP EM COMING I guess!

    One thing that has been dissapearing and coming back randomly is the Personal Hotspot option. No idea why
    Last edited by darkmanx1; 04-14-2012 at 06:23 PM.

  17. #34
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    To display the SMSC number:

    On the iPhone, dial the following:
    *#5005*7672#
    Press the Send key.
    Verify on the display that the SMSC number is programmed correctly on the device.
    From the main screen, dial **5005*7672*+12063130004#
    Press Send to set the SMSC.
    Note: To get the plus symbol, press and hold the 0 (zero) key.
    Turn the device off and back on.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to shortie_gurl For This Useful Post:

    darkmanx1 (04-14-2012)

  19. #35
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Default Found one thing
    Same as the above posts, if I reboot the phone 10 times text will work 1 time until rebooted. The back to the drawing board.
    One thing is verfy the smsc number works when texting is working, when it is not the field is blank, and even when I try to set if it seems to not take. I will try again. But reloading the phone, modding the files etc. do nothing to fix this issue. I have gotten mms working both ways once, until I turned the phone off. Then all my setting reverted back to default. It seems the gevey or the phone is overwriting the changes. I have verified on a restore that Both files mentioned above where perfect and still no SMS. Then rebooted phone, SMS worked, checked backup again, both files back to default. Pulling my hair out.
    I will keep looking at the files, and anything I can find I will post. Thanks. Oh I have 2 different gevey both doing exact same thing. But did not buy from applnberry? Maybee it is the gevey? Maybe a counterfeit? Anyone having this issue on a gevey from applnberry.

    On the SMS issue, use the above numbers to check smsc#
    When my text does not work it shows a +7 when works shows correct #
    Problem is the string to set the number will not work when SMS does not, it just keeps the +7
    Last edited by kpump; 04-14-2012 at 08:59 PM.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to kpump For This Useful Post:

    darkmanx1 (04-14-2012)

  21. #36
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    After all this trial and error

    My fix was a replacement Gevey Chip

    Worked like a charm, also seems to unlock the phone a little differently. It doesn't ask me to accept anything, just find T-Mobile, and Voila! Everything works except for MMS, even after all the plist editing. But at this point i really don't care, i just want my texting!

    I either got a fake chip, or a defective one.. not sure since it worked and didn't work.. lol

    Have rebooted several times the phone, and it picks the service right back up and works

    Unless this only lasts for 4 days also, I think i'm in the good to go. If possible for anyone experiencing this issue, try and replace the gevey first.

    Thank you all

    --------

    HA! Literally 5 minutes after i typed this, I'm eating my words.. It stopped working after the next reboot. FML. I noticed it right away when i went to General >Phone, and it didn't have the > arrow next to my phone number, so I could not edit it. This disables the ability to SMS also.. STRANGE

    Oh well, I guess this gevey system is unreliable, not a happy customer by any means.

    I will try to SMSC number too i guess.
    Last edited by darkmanx1; 04-14-2012 at 10:59 PM.

  22. #37
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I bought a legit gevey from applenberry and I too cannot send SMS only receive. I've called applenberry and they told me its because 3G is enable and that they possibly found a way to fix and would be emailing me soon with instructions

  23. #38
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    The SMSC setting works. I think once I set up iCloud and such, it tries to gravitate these settings to something after a reboot. It seems to be working now

    kpump: Exactly, same here, when its not working and you check the SMSC, it shows up at +7, when you put in that code, it says no address, and if you dismiss and reboot. It works.. I don't know why it keeps going back to that, but Its not a hard fix if this is all it takes

    Will only know more over the next couple days i guess

    ----
    And now the SMSC settings wont even stick through a reboot

    blah.. Back to square one
    Last edited by darkmanx1; 04-14-2012 at 11:14 PM.

  24. #39
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by darkmanx1 View Post
    The SMSC setting works. I think once I set up iCloud and such, it tries to gravitate these settings to something after a reboot. It seems to be working now
    Can you explain step by step so I can try to fix my phone?? Thanks in advance

  25. #40
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CLos191 View Post
    I bought a legit gevey from applenberry and I too cannot send SMS only receive. I've called applenberry and they told me its because 3G is enable and that they possibly found a way to fix and would be emailing me soon with instructions
    Looking forward to applenberry recognizing this issue. I think we ended up being one of the early adopters of this for 5.1, and are dealing with all the issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by CLos191 View Post
    Can you explain step by step so I can try to fix my phone?? Thanks in advance
    Sorry bro, would love to help, but haven't figured out a science to this myself, this is so unpredictable so far.

    All of this was working fine with the new gevey, until I checked the SMSC number through that code.. After that and a reboot, the phone just holds the +7.. I really think its iCloud or something

    Ok I got it to work again, I almost don't want to play with it to verify if that's what fixed it but...

    Try the SMSC obv, but with that, turn off the MMS messaging in general > message.

    Also when you fix your SMSC, and reboot your phone, make sure Wifi is off, you can late turn wifi on after the phone regains its T-Mobile network.

    Just some more things to try, it seemed to work for me, but again, it's not a science, and I'm not sure it might or might not work if I reboot again.. but..(I just want my phone to work now! so ahh!!)
    Last edited by darkmanx1; 04-14-2012 at 11:52 PM.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts